U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 PM

201 posts, read 150,991 times

Advertisements

Hi NewPlace,
Here are some good places (paved) to walk your dog- I might not have the "formal names" right but anyone there could clarify.
Portland
--"back bay" there is a paved path popular with runners/ bikers, walkers, and dogs.
--"east end"- this may connect somehow with back bay, it's the paved trail that goes by the ocean, one way not so interesting other way pretty view of the eastern promenade "eastern prom".
--"the old port" is just an area of Portland with neat shops, some bars, resturants, I feel like the "east end" trail ends up in the old port. Cheap ways to see the islands too via boat.
--There was a dog park in Portland (I'm not a fan of dog parks) with a fenced off small dog area and the rest is general dog- might be a neat way to meet fellow dog lovers, can't remember the name of it, think it was near ocean ave- check out the city of Portland website.
--not dog specific but the museum is free I think the first Fri? of each month.

In South Portland (can't remember the name of their trail where the railroad tracks used to be) there's that paved greenway and Willard Beach. Next to South Portland is Cape Elizabeth Fort Williams I think is where that iconic lighthouse is and a short trail (part of rather large park for you guys to explore). And also in the Cape is Two Lights State Park (on the "free side") is the Lobster Shack restaurant. You might want to look into getting a state park pass- it's worth it

Old Orchard Beach (is a city and a beach) they do have summer rules on dogs in the square and beach but it's a great beach year round in my opinion.

If you need a dog boarding place if it's still open Doggie Cottage in Grey was fantastic (not a salesman, a former customer!)

There's so much good about that state, I really miss it!
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by New place View Post
Thanks NorthernGator - totally helpful and you get the whole dog situation If they aren't happy - I'm not happy Where I live now - after April 1 - no dogs allowed EVER on the beaches - and my town in CT has ten miles of beaches. So, I only go in the winter since it's no fun without my best buddies. I think that South Portland has off hours times that dogs can go.

As much as I like rural areas and peace and quiet - I also have to be realistic and bad weather is alot more manageable when you have neighbors close by. I love cities where you can walk and it sounds like Portland beats out Portsmouth on size and things to do. Also - it's cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 AM

127 posts, read 135,736 times
Thanks NG! Knowing places that I can bring my dogs helps A LOT. Right now in CT I have a 1/2 acre fenced in for them to run and play. In moving north, especially if it's South Portland - I will have a much smaller yard which worries me for them. However, if there are places we can go - and they are very social - then that takes the worry of not being a good Dog Mom off of my list

And now - if you could only tell me that it's "not that cold"

It sounds like you miss Portland and maybe should move back?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM

201 posts, read 150,991 times
Hi NewPlace-
Yes I do miss Portland and Maine. Although I can visit and I can probably work there, I can't work in my chosen field (second degree I'm working on) which is my true passion, so I am going back and forth about whether I can convince LePage (if he's still in office) to change a regulation OR if I have to settle for New Hampshire or Mass. I hope to visit not later than spring of next year, and make a moving decision within the next year.

Life is short, I need to get moving myself!
NG

Quote:
Thanks NG! Knowing places that I can bring my dogs helps A LOT. Right now in CT I have a 1/2 acre fenced in for them to run and play. In moving north, especially if it's South Portland - I will have a much smaller yard which worries me for them. However, if there are places we can go - and they are very social - then that takes the worry of not being a good Dog Mom off of my list

And now - if you could only tell me that it's "not that cold"

It sounds like you miss Portland and maybe should move back?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 AM

216 posts, read 154,407 times
My wife and I plan on moving up to maine (Kittery to Kennebunk area) and I'll be working in Portsmouth. This probably isnt the best arrangement but we need to have Maine residence and Portsmouth is the closest place up there for an Oil and Gas mechanical engineer to get work.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:14 PM

814 posts, read 2,024,615 times
Just a heads up about beaches and dogs in ME and NH, many of them have protected areas due to piping plovers. This means that dogs must be on leashes.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I guess they would have it listed on their gov website or signage at the beach? I am a big wildlife lover and would not want to upset any habitat that's protected.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 AM

9,521 posts, read 5,711,907 times
Interesting thread as I am debating a job between the 2 Ports. Think Land offers more than Mouth. However, if my wife and I worked in Land joint income prior to taxes be $70K and in Mouth $80K. Utilities and propery tax are higher in the Mouth. Land has higher income and sales tax. Their housing market seems the same though for both Ports.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 PM

133 posts, read 98,769 times
Just to fill in a bit more about Portland's leash laws, you can search for the specifics. For example, here's the Eastern Prom/East End Beach regulations link: Dog Rules + Regulations. You can find similar sites for the South Portland Greenway and other public places.

Here's the link to the City of Portland's Dog Owner Responsibilities page that also has a link for leashed and unleashed public places: Dog Owner Responsibilities | Portland, ME. You can also google Portland Maine dog parks to get a list.

To add to what Northern Gator posted about Portland places back in March, the Back Cove trail in Portland's Back Bay section does indeed connect to the Eastern Promenade trail. That trail passes the East End Beach (which is the bottom of the long Eastern Prom hill down to the water) and ends in the Old Port. The Old Port is much more than just stores and restaurants. It's also a working waterfront and has many residential apartments and condos too.

The "iconic lighthouse" at Fort Williams in South Portland is called Portland Head Light.

And just my 2 cents: having lived in both Portland and South Portland, if I was to live that far south again, I'd pick South Portland for the home prices, less traffic and proximity to the state parks. South Portland is huge though and includes the Maine Mall area, which I don't love. My favorite areas would be Knightsville (right over the bridge), Willard Beach or some of the side streets off Highland Ave.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the info quietnights. Unfortunately, the home prices in South Portland and Portland are crazy. $250k for 1000 sf on .12 acre. I am now looking Brunswick/Bath and also Rockland areas too.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,699,720 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info quietnights. Unfortunately, the home prices in South Portland and Portland are crazy. $250k for 1000 sf on .12 acre. I am now looking Brunswick/Bath and also Rockland areas too.
I wrote an offer for a buyer on a house in South Portland very similar to what you described in July. I cautioned her that the basement full of asbestos would need to be addressed by either the seller or the buyer and her offer was $5000 above list price. She did not win, the successful buyer went $20,000 over and paid cash, so no appraisal was necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine