Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,035,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
First and foremost, it is a long way down to a Volvo dealer from Houlton. The nearest one is going to be Bangor and they are only there to provide service to the professors at the university in Orono. Stop in on the way up though. They will be happy to see you. Buy a few Volvo oil filters when you are in there. You may want to get your oil changed up in Houlton.

By late April you will still see flurries and we may get some accumulation on lawns, but significant snows are usually done by the middle of April.

Low priced homes are abundant in the Houlton area. Northern Maine is different from Boston in more ways than I can count. The two biggest differences are freedom and cost of living, both toward the beneficial side. Welcome to Maine. We need people.
My volvo never see's a dealership, way too pricey.
I do my own wrenching, so I'll be needing a house with garage for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Hi Gerard, Caribou here.
Winters are obviously longer/harsher than in Boston. But summers are better.
We might get snowstorms in April, but then again, we might get none at all. April is a very variable month.
Modular homes are much better for heating, etc. than are trailers. I would never live in a trailer in northern Maine. THat's just me.
Good luck! I really like Houlton.
I was in Mars Hill last Sept, early morning was bone chilling on the knuckles when I stepped out for a smoke, afternoon temps went up in the 80's. Reminded me of Montana.

Not sure I know the difference between trailer and modular, I thought modular home was just a fancy name to avoid trailer.

Is this a modular ?
https://www.trulia.com/property/3240...erick-ME-04761

Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
I grew up in an old trailer in Presque Isle, and it was manageable with a wood stove, which kept things toasty. Having a kerosene furnace alone may be less than ideal, but doable. A wood stove in an addition or even the main part of the trailer would make things better.

As another poster mentioned, you could do o.k. With a newer trailer or modular home. An older trailer may take a little bit more money and work to get it to be as warm as you would like. That having been said, a lot of people live in old trailers and have no choice but to make them work.
Would you recommend getting under the trailer and checking for insulation?
I see some are plonked on cement pads, others are on pillars.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 AM

19 posts, read 19,553 times
A modular home is more like a stick built house . Sometimes you can't even tell the difference . I have been in some super nice modular homes that you would have thought were completely custom built on site stick framed.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 PM

468 posts, read 753,658 times
I grew up in the Boston area, but have been working on a home in The County in Littleton....

While, of course Littleton is colder than the Boston area, I haven't found it to be a significantly practical difference. Boston temperatures are still more like Littleton than Tampa, shall we say.

What is different between The County and eastern MA is that winter is about 3 weeks longer on each end, coming and going. This is especially noticeable during leaf season and then spring green up. Traveling between the two locations I get to see the maples drop - twice. Ditto for dandelion and apple bloom times - 3 weeks' difference on each end of the winter time-wise as I say, lengthening The County winter about 6 or so weeks total. I'm guessing one could add another week or two to that when instead comparing the St. John Valley to eastern MA.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
I grew up in the Boston area, but have been working on a home in The County in Littleton....

While, of course Littleton is colder than the Boston area, I haven't found it to be a significantly practical difference. Boston temperatures are still more like Littleton than Tampa, shall we say.

What is different between The County and eastern MA is that winter is about 3 weeks longer on each end, coming and going. This is especially noticeable during leaf season and then spring green up. Traveling between the two locations I get to see the maples drop - twice. Ditto for dandelion and apple bloom times - 3 weeks' difference on each end of the winter time-wise as I say, lengthening The County winter about 6 or so weeks total. I'm guessing one could add another week or two to that when instead comparing the St. John Valley to eastern MA.
Yeh I came to the same conclusion, people ask why move to Maine, its too cold.
I recall temps dropping to -17F last winter in Boston, that was the only time my old volvo couldn't fire up.
And we got 10 feet of snow the previous winter here in MA.

Heading up to the Millinocket area next Tuesday,
you need me to bring any supplies from civilization? nails , beans , maybe a mirror for the women folk?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,359,665 times
Get a wood stove as others have said. The bonus of this is you can put coals in a pan and put it under your car and it will always start.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Get a wood stove as others have said. The bonus of this is you can put coals in a pan and put it under your car and it will always start.
I already have a small woodstove here in Boston, its in the fireplace and works great.
I didn't buy any oil this winter, just a patton elec heater with fan and the wood stove.
the heater would work in a garage , gotta have a garage.

Wouldn't it be better to put the motor oil in a fryolator then add it to the engine.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine