Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times

Advertisements

If you want a mild winter warm with a hot summer ( no humidity though) and no flying insects, check out AZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Could you live on a houseboat yer long in Tenn. Just asking for retirement possibilities. Of course my retirement plan now calls for "work till ya die."

Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Could you live on a houseboat yer long in Tenn. Just asking for retirement possibilities. Of course my retirement plan now calls for "work till ya die."
LOL.. mine is work as much as they will let me, and try to live like a pauper. What doesn't get spent on the kid's college is socked away for the early retirement and move to Maine. Then, live like a pauper again(only more content).

Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,875 times
My wife and I are planning on moving from maine to rock hill, SC. This area is just south of charlotte NC. The area is growing and has/had a strong economy. Rock hill downtown is slightly depressed due to mills closing. Rock hill is about the size of portland, maine.

We started with this area because we have a relative in charlotte who loves it. We visited last summer for a week and enjoyed the area. It was hot though, but the steady heat wasn't too bad and we got used to it pretty quick. It was 100+ every day in august.

someone posted a link to a site that you enter info, and it will suggest where to live. Rock hill area came up for me on the list. Maine did not. Also compare cost of living - do a google search and there are many sites that you can enter basic info. Rock hill area of SC - $38K is equivelant to $50K in maine due to lower energy prices, homes, etc. Me moving there and getting work as a teacher would be equivalent to a $12K raise.

as for bugs, snakes - probably many more than in maine, but also a much shorter winter. My motorcycle will thank me for that.

also - visit the other states on the forum and read. I have read many posting from york county SC and the vast majority of people love the area.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirae_207 View Post
maine's not that bad if you like the snow taxis are really high and if your a smoker i would not move to maine they are trying to pass a law that makes it so you cant smoke in your car with a minor but not to much crime or anything stay away from the Lewiston auburn area
Just curious...why do you not like Lewiston Auburn......it has less crime then Bangor or Portland...And has really come around the last 5 years...

I plan on putting together a thread just to put the information out there of how much really is going on here..L/A has lead the state EVERY year for new invsetment and growth.Off the top of my head there has been around five hundred million.....yes, thats $500,000,000.00 of NEW investment into both cities..just in the last 8 years. And slated right now are two more hotels, another new industrial park, A new mall area ect, and rail service.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 36,938 times
Hi. What is up with the Lewiston/Auburn area?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post

Ditto! -

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirae_207 View Post
maine's not that bad if you like the snow taxis are really high and if your a smoker i would not move to maine they are trying to pass a law that makes it so you cant smoke in your car with a minor but not to much crime or anything stay away from the Lewiston auburn area
Can't smoke in the snow taxis either.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Just curious...why do you not like Lewiston Auburn......it has less crime then Bangor or Portland...And has really come around the last 5 years...

I plan on putting together a thread just to put the information out there of how much really is going on here..L/A has lead the state EVERY year for new invsetment and growth.Off the top of my head there has been around five hundred million.....yes, thats $500,000,000.00 of NEW investment into both cities..just in the last 8 years. And slated right now are two more hotels, another new industrial park, A new mall area ect, and rail service.
I will say that when we were looking all over Maine on the internet, some of the best houses we saw were in Auburn. The taxes were discouraging, but some of the houses were spectacular. There is one that has a green house and wonderful perennial gardens and a gorgeous interior; I will always think about. It was a bit too far away from our center but was sure tempting.
I am not at all sure we would have found "a fit" in the community--but we did look long and hard. There was more attractive than otherwise.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,848 times
[quote=maine4.us;3067707]As a native born son of Tennessee, QUOTE]

The only other place i have lived that felt like home besides Maine. I lived outside of Ft Campbell in the service and I fell in love with Tennesee. Only thing was I lived in Clarksville when downtown was lvled by an F4 tornado. I was devistated as downtown was awesome to hang out for the 20-30 crowd.

I think any where you go is going to have one form of natural disaster. Good luck and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine