Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 86,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
No, I was referring to either your state or city SBOA.
Can you help me find such an animal? I googled "small business owners association" and Maine and find nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
We have BCBS in the state here too....In fact they are one of the only few that are left....from my understanding...Maine is more expensive than most states.

Now I looked into family coverage some years back with BCBS....the numbers were almost identicle to yours...So id have to say they are more expensive now.....You could call BCBS of Maine and ask them...or go to their website. And when I called it was based on age and family rates...but the age thing was locked once you had it.

My personal opinion....How much more do you want......."Assuming" you spent your entire deductable plus the 365 a month.....your getting a 100% paid health care for $781.00 a month....again...thats IF you use the deductable..

My wife works for the city of Lewiston and their plan costs the city over a 1000 a month for each employee...AND she pays around $100 a month herself. Then we have co-pays..deductables....ect..In the end its costing US like $250 a month..(we have 3 kids)..Maine also is heavily trying to push a form of socialized health care on us.....I'd feel sorry for anyone that owned a business w/employees..And I do not think your situation will be any better here...unless you do what alot of people do here in Maine...go with out it...and whenever you get sick just go to the emergency room

Vote for Hilary.....and then it will all be FREE??

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaine View Post
Can you help me find such an animal? I googled "small business owners association" and Maine and find nothing.

Here you go, it's in Augusta.

Small Business Administration - (http://www.sba.gov/localresources/district/me/index.html - broken link)

Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM

Thank-you very much!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:29 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaine View Post
I think we can't have "must insure" and competition. I think that's the rub.

Yeh, a friend is Rhode Island just complained to me that she was paying $132. For the exact same coverage I have in Maine for $369.

What we need to do is obliterate arbitrary state lines and put all the people in CT and RI in the same pool as Maine.

God, I'm starting to sound like a Democrat!
Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM

In my family, that would have me cut out of the will.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
For a crappy policy here through the DW's hospital she works as an RN in, it is just under $500 a month to add me and the boys. If we go ANYPLACE other than the hospital she works at it we pay 50% out of pocket. Out of state it is 80% out of our pocket. $15 co-pay in network (her hospital only), $20 prescription. $5000 individual, $8000 family deductible.

Where we are going, the coverage is top of the line BCBS and to add me and the boys with $1000 deductible and $2000 for the family it is costing us $56 a month. $10 co-pays, $5 prescriptions. Maine needs to re-evaluate the changes it made several years ago that drove out the insurance companies.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
The health insurance thing in Maine is another concern with our move there. Through DW's work we pay just over $200 a month. $10 co-pay and $10 prescription.

The prices I'm hearing about in Maine are scary. To be honest with you, I'm considering Incorporating my LLC here in NH and getting insurance through a NH broker. Also this way I could take a salary to be taxed in Maine and any profits above and beyond would stay here in NH and I'd pay less business taxes on it here. This could have other advantages too as my work truck, equipment, etc could be registered, inspected, insured here as well.
I'm not sure if I would be allowed to do this or not but I'm going to try.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:46 PM

I think your physical address is going to trump the address where your business is incorporated. Talk with a lawyer before you move here expecting your insurance to be governed by NH.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
The health insurance thing in Maine is another concern with our move there. Through DW's work we pay just over $200 a month. $10 co-pay and $10 prescription.

The prices I'm hearing about in Maine are scary. To be honest with you, I'm considering Incorporating my LLC here in NH and getting insurance through a NH broker. Also this way I could take a salary to be taxed in Maine and any profits above and beyond would stay here in NH and I'd pay less business taxes on it here. This could have other advantages too as my work truck, equipment, etc could be registered, inspected, insured here as well.
I'm not sure if I would be allowed to do this or not but I'm going to try.
Better for you, but think about the rest of us who will have to pay more because your equipment will be in Maine contributing to the state's expenses, yet you'll be paying to NH. Sounds like you are adding to the problem that you are complaining about. JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine