Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are both old enough to collect social security. However, we both work. If we "retired" we couldn't afford the medical coverage so we work. It's a good thing we like what we do. We will both work as long as we are able. My neighbor just turned 71. He drives tractor trailer coast to coast. He would like to retire, has no mortgage, but he's in the same boat. I know a man who works in the woods six days a week cutting pulpwood. He's 82.

The trick is to just not work and collect the $56,000 a year that the State of Maine gives to those families with no jobs. The people in the first paragraph of this rant are the ones who pay for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,335,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Better for you, but think about the rest of us who will have to pay more because your equipment will be in Maine contributing to the state's expenses, yet you'll be paying to NH. Sounds like you are adding to the problem that you are complaining about. JMHO.
You know your probably right.
When you start really looking at all the downsides to the taxes, health insurance, etc - maybe Maine is not as appealing as it once seemed. Great place for folks on a pension or with bottomless pockets but not so great for hard working farm families. I try to stay optimistic but I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.

But if I did decide to move to Maine, I fail to see how my equipment being registered in NH would effect the health insurance premium problem in Maine.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaine View Post
I think your physical address is going to trump the address where your business is incorporated. Talk with a lawyer before you move here expecting your insurance to be governed by NH.
Thanks and I will.
I'm not about doing anything shady or unethical but if it's legal and can be done and potentially safe me some money, then I will.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,712,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Thanks and I will.
I'm not about doing anything shady or unethical but if it's legal and can be done and potentially safe me some money, then I will.
Don't blame you one little bit! Good Luck.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Wife and I are both old enough to collect social security. However, we both work. If we "retired" we couldn't afford the medical coverage so we work. It's a good thing we like what we do. We will both work as long as we are able. My neighbor just turned 71. He drives tractor trailer coast to coast. He would like to retire, has no mortgage, but he's in the same boat. I know a man who works in the woods six days a week cutting pulpwood. He's 82.

The trick is to just not work and collect the $56,000 a year that the State of Maine gives to those families with no jobs. The people in the first paragraph of this rant are the ones who pay for that.
Bless you all. My Dad is in the same situation. He is in his mid 70's and works 40 hrs a week.

I would never want to be a burden to any state or anyone. I've never taken any kind of handouts and have no intention of ever doing so.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
I have worked full time since I was 14 years old. I put myself through college in two phases. I had to take a few years off to save up enough to finish. When the crunch comes I don't know what today's wagon riders with no skills are going to do. It will be an adjustment for them for sure. I have a friend who wrote a book in 2002 called "The Adjustment". We are about to have one.

bignhfamily, You are the kind of folks who can make it here. Jump right in. You'll be fine. All the retirees are welcome too. They contribute to the economy as a whole.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
You know your probably right.
When you start really looking at all the downsides to the taxes, health insurance, etc - maybe Maine is not as appealing as it once seemed. Great place for folks on a pension or with bottomless pockets but not so great for hard working farm families. I try to stay optimistic but I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.

But if I did decide to move to Maine, I fail to see how my equipment being registered in NH would effect the health insurance premium problem in Maine.
I'm not trying to talk you out of Maine, by all means. I was referring to the wear and tear that your vehicles and equipment have on the roads in Maine, where they will be for a majority of the time. In case you haven't looked lately, the roads need a lot of work, and that money comes from local and state revenues. If you pay your taxes to NH, while your vehicles contribute to the increased costs of upkeep you are hitting us with a double whammy.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,712,966 times
Maybe we need to banish the tourists as well then. A few thousand vehicles and motorhomes registered and taxed in another state are going to do more road damage than a few work trucks driving around the entire year.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 PM

36 posts, read 86,045 times
Yeh, they should close the Piscataqua bridge now that I am on the right side of it.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

My dad retired in 2000.....He's misses work......He cannot go back (teamster retirement thing) and he says every day...retirement sucks.

I know he is just board....hates living on a fixed income, and hates how Maine takes way more than he's ever used in this state, he also misses the opportunity to make the money he used too.

You have to have a plan....I don't look at retirement as a change as much as a transition...I will be trasitioning from, work for an income, to managing an income. And from getting up and working for someone else to getting up and working for me. At least thats part of it....Besides..Like you NMLM, if you love what you are doing...isn't that kind of like retirement .

Sorry for being off topic...but it's a nice topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine