U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:34 AM

16,889 posts, read 6,952,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I applied to one job in Lewiston and another one in Portland, both of which I am qualified and interested in. But since I'm not a local candidate, I probably won't even be considered.

Not being a jerk but make them interested in you.Go in person ask to see the HR person and personally hand them your resume.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM

11,397 posts, read 15,436,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not being a jerk but make them interested in you.Go in person ask to see the HR person and personally hand them your resume.
It doesn't work that way for corporate jobs. You can't just walk into the building with tight security and hand them your resume. People don't really do that anymore. I mean, what am I going to do...drive 3 hours up to Maine just to walk into a building, dressed in a suit, and hand my resume to an HR person? LMAOOOO!!!

I have never ever gotten a job that way and don't know of anyone who ever does that for corporate, secured jobs. The people who CAN do that, are people who typically work in places that are open to the public, such as retail or bank branches, etc. But not corporate headquarter offices.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 4,816,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
You need to come up to Aroostook County if you want the experience with shoddy cell phone reception.
I drive all over the County for work;...only a few bad spots.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 AM

1,313 posts, read 690,629 times
Quote:
It doesn't work that way for corporate jobs. You can't just walk into the building with tight security and hand them your resume. People don't really do that anymore. I mean, what am I going to do...drive 3 hours up to Maine just to walk into a building, dressed in a suit, and hand my resume to an HR person? LMAOOOO!!!

I have never ever gotten a job that way and don't know of anyone who ever does that for corporate, secured jobs. The people who CAN do that, are people who typically work in places that are open to the public, such as retail or bank branches, etc. But not corporate headquarter offices.

Yes, but G1's suggestion is geared towards the applicant demonstrating a serious interest, which of course it does.

So there are other ways that an applicant can demonstrate serious interest, something that would overcome the non-local candidate issue. Just make sure you've incorporated them into your application.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM

216 posts, read 153,858 times
My wife and I have both moved up here to southern Maine from Houston. I'm a Mech. Engineer in the oil and gas field and i'm now working near Haverhill, Ma.

Maine was very appealing to us for many reasons but so far (we've been here a month) the summers are 1000x better than Houston. The hot steamy swamp that is Houston is unbearable during summer. usually between 95-105 degrees and 90% humidity. you cant even walk out the front door to grab your mail without coming back inside drenched in sweat. we are lucky to get 1 month of temps below 50 degrees, but even then its usually so humid you will sweat outside in Houston in 50 degree weather.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 AM

16,889 posts, read 6,952,213 times
Quote:

Laugh it off but it works .All three of my daughters got their jobs just that way the youngest was like you and fought that idea until she had no other option and her sisters told her I was right ,she did it to three companies got interviews at all three and offered a job at two.Everywhere I have ever applied once they have met me....they have offered me a job.

One of the girls found the company she wanted to work for and called the Headquarters when the operator answered she asked for "Human resources",they answered ,she asked can I please speak to the person in charge they either put her threw or tell her who it is and she sent a "certified letter" to that person with a cover letter and her resume,it worked.If I work in HR and saw that someone drove three hours up to see me ,I would be impressed,it would show you were a serious applicant.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 AM

11,397 posts, read 15,436,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Laugh it off but it works .All three of my daughters got their jobs just that way the youngest was like you and fought that idea until she had no other option and her sisters told her I was right ,she did it to three companies got interviews at all three and offered a job at two.Everywhere I have ever applied once they have met me....they have offered me a job.

One of the girls found the company she wanted to work for and called the Headquarters when the operator answered she asked for "Human resources",they answered ,she asked can I please speak to the person in charge they either put her threw or tell her who it is and she sent a "certified letter" to that person with a cover letter and her resume,it worked.If I work in HR and saw that someone drove three hours up to see me ,I would be impressed,it would show you were a serious applicant.
I am not saying it can't work. But it's not necessary. And for me it's not practical to go driving hours here and there to visit companies. Plus, in my career field, most jobs are through recruiter agencies and the company is kept confidential, so there's no way I can directly contact them anyway.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:33 PM

2,781 posts, read 2,648,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I drive all over the County for work;...only a few bad spots.
I drive all over The County, for work as well. My work place provides an Iphone and I believe we use U.S Cellular. My personal phone is an Android, prepaid Verizon, and I know the "spots" where there is no cell phone reception in: Sinclair, Saint Agatha, Frenchville, route 11, 161, Route 1A, Washburn, Perham, can be spotty too.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,455,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Beyond some firms in Brunswick and Portland, you've got Bath Iron Works, and of course supermarkets, retailers, hospitals and a few colleges. Then there are a lot people who make their living seasonally off the summer gold rush of tourism each year, plus some stubborn/hardy farmers, fishermen, boat builders and not a small number of artists and artisans along the coast. But in terms of real booming employment, there just aren't a lot of big or expanding businesses in Maine, so I imagine most young people who leave are looking for better job prospects.
Change the details so you're describing and entirely inland area, and you've more or less described western Massachusetts, at least outside of Springfield and its near vicinity. There is a basic issue that goes beyond Maine, and applies to rural areas in much of New England, and many areas in the larger Northeast region. The basic problem is that the Northeast is short on, and in many cases completely lacks, the natural resources that drive modern economies.

Outside of coal deposits in Pennsylvania (and I'm not sure what the quality of that coal is), and maybe a little oil in PA, the Northeast has nothing in the way of fossil fuels, iron, copper, gold, silver, zinc, lead, etc. I'm not sure about the Mid-Atlantic states, but in most of New England the soil is not the greatest, and as a result does not support large-scale agriculture with abundant production of staple crops, unlike the Plains states, where agriculture on a huge scale can largely support populations similar to or a bit larger than Maine's.

Some towns in the Plains states also benefit from their central location in the U.S., serving as rail or trucking centers. Being tucked away in a far corner, Maine does not benefit even from being on the way between major economic centers.

It is true that the densely populated Northeast Corridor is economically prosperous. I suspect that the reason is that big cities and large concentrations of population in general tend to be economically self-sustaining.

Large populations are a ready-made large market, and provide a substantial pool of employees. The numerous colleges in the Corridor also turn out graduates with the kind of training that large employers seek. Put it all together and you have a self-sustaining massive economy anchored by major corporations, a stark contrast to the small local economic bases in most rural parts of the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If I were looking for a career type job in Maine, I would start with Maine.gov, jobs and employment link. We can "talk" about jobs and/or lack thereof, which ones are plentiful, etc. all day, but here's a website to begin your research. Don't rely on opinions and speculation, research for yourself.

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

I see numerous help wanted signs on a daily basis and not all are seasonal/summer work. I have friends/relatives who are nurses who have never had trouble finding a job anywhere they have lived. I know of a mason with a near rags to riches story. I've seen university librarian positions with MLS degree advertised pay $79,000, speech therapist, physical therapist seem to pay well...
What this really means is that some individuals can find ways to prosper. This does not mean that there are enough jobs with solid pay in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
. . . it all depends on what career you have your heart set on and whether you are willing to possibly go with a second or third choice in career to live in Maine. ... Some opt for two or three part-time retail positions. I know people with four year (or six year) college degrees who choose to live in Maine and work outside their original plan/college major.
Maine is really nice. The state has beautiful natural scenery, and in my visits there I've found the people to generally be pleasant and friendly. However, missing out on the fulfillment of your dream career, or resigning yourself to a life of cobbling together two or three low-paying jobs, is a steep price to pay to enjoy the benefits of a state like Maine. The reality is that many people are likely to see this as an unappealing trade-off.

Up to a point, the employment "problem" people have discussed in this thread may not actually be so much of a problem. There are those who will take the trade-off Mainegirl is suggesting, and there is a place for those hardy, resourceful souls who find deep satisfaction in the self-sufficiency it takes to thrive in areas like rural Maine. There also do seem to be enough solid blue-collar and professional jobs to support a good portion of Maine's population.

Too much opportunity, and Maine would gain so much population that it wouldn't really be Maine any longer. It would lose a lot of its small-towns-small-cities-rural-wild-scenic-areas appeal.

The trick is to find a good balance, where you don't spoil the state's scenic beauty and small-town appeal, but young adults born and raised in Maine find enough good employment to avoid a choice between leaving their home and staying but often just getting by financially in drab jobs. I don't know in detail how to achieve that balance, but this would be a good general goal. It would be great if Maine's government, civic, and business leaders would focus seriously on the particular issue of opportunities for young adults.

Last edited by ogre; 07-31-2017 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 PM

29,184 posts, read 28,250,286 times
Quote:

My husband did. He applied for the job and followed up with a letter. The letter got him an interview. It was a nine hour drive. Nine hours with no stops, so ten or more.

The boss liked his letter, and he got the job.

Do something. Anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine