U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 PM

11,368 posts, read 15,350,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband did. He applied for the job and followed up with a letter. The letter got him an interview. It was a nine hour drive. Nine hours with no stops, so ten or more.

The boss liked his letter, and he got the job.

Do something. Anything.
But I'm not just looking for jobs in Maine only. I'm looking all over New England as we speak. It is not practical to drive hours and hours to all these different cities, and I have simply never gotten a job that way. It's not necessary.

The people who landed a job by visiting in person are more likely to post in here and say, "hey...it worked for me!" But there are probably many, many more people who didn't do this and still got a job. These people are not likely to post in here about that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 AM

16,813 posts, read 6,837,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband did. He applied for the job and followed up with a letter. The letter got him an interview. It was a nine hour drive. Nine hours with no stops, so ten or more.

The boss liked his letter, and he got the job.

Do something. Anything.

Yes, sitting back and waiting is not the answer.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But I'm not just looking for jobs in Maine only. I'm looking all over New England as we speak. It is not practical to drive hours and hours to all these different cities, and I have simply never gotten a job that way. It's not necessary.

The people who landed a job by visiting in person are more likely to post in here and say, "hey...it worked for me!" But there are probably many, many more people who didn't do this and still got a job. These people are not likely to post in here about that.

The question is how bad do you want a job?Then do something,sitting and waiting for them to come to you will not work.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The question is how bad do you want a job?Then do something,sitting and waiting for them to come to you will not work.
I'm not doing nothing. I'm submitting applications online. Sometimes it leads to a phone interview. Sometimes it doesn't. That's pretty standard.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not doing nothing. I'm submitting applications online. Sometimes it leads to a phone interview. Sometimes it doesn't. That's pretty standard.
Ok , we disagree.I will leave on this though, it's not standard.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ok , we disagree.I will leave on this though, it's not standard.
Two of the jobs I've gotten before were via online application. During my current job search, I have phone interviewed with 16 companies, of about 14 of them were via online application. The other two were through recruiters. It works for me.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,186,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Change the details so you're describing and entirely inland area, and you've more or less described western Massachusetts, at least outside of Springfield and its near vicinity. There is a basic issue that goes beyond Maine, and applies to rural areas in much of New England, and many areas in the larger Northeast region. The basic problem is that the Northeast is short on, and in many cases completely lacks, the natural resources that drive modern economies.

Outside of coal deposits in Pennsylvania (and I'm not sure what the quality of that coal is), and maybe a little oil in PA, the Northeast has nothing in the way of fossil fuels, iron, copper, gold, silver, zinc, lead, etc. I'm not sure about the Mid-Atlantic states, but in most of New England the soil is not the greatest, and as a result does not support large-scale agriculture with abundant production of staple crops, unlike the Plains states, where agriculture on a huge scale can largely support populations similar to or a bit larger than Maine's.

Some towns in the Plains states also benefit from their central location in the U.S., serving as rail or trucking centers. Being tucked away in a far corner, Maine does not benefit even from being on the way between major economic centers.

It is true that the densely populated Northeast Corridor is economically prosperous. I suspect that the reason is that big cities and large concentrations of population in general tend to be economically self-sustaining.

Large populations are a ready-made large market, and provide a substantial pool of employees. The numerous colleges in the Corridor also turn out graduates with the kind of training that large employers seek. Put it all together and you have a self-sustaining massive economy anchored by major corporations, a stark contrast to the small local economic bases in most rural parts of the Northeast.

What this really means is that some individuals can find ways to prosper. This does not mean that there are enough jobs with solid pay in general.

Maine is really nice. The state has beautiful natural scenery, and in my visits there I've found the people to generally be pleasant and friendly. However, missing out on the fulfillment of your dream career, or resigning yourself to a life of cobbling together two or three low-paying jobs, is a steep price to pay to enjoy the benefits of a state like Maine. The reality is that many people are likely to see this as an unappealing trade-off.

Up to a point, the employment "problem" people have discussed in this thread may not actually be so much of a problem. There are those who will take the trade-off Mainegirl is suggesting, and there is a place for those hardy, resourceful souls who find deep satisfaction in the self-sufficiency it takes to thrive in areas like rural Maine. There also do seem to be enough solid blue-collar and professional jobs to support a good portion of Maine's population.

Too much opportunity, and Maine would gain so much population that it wouldn't really be Maine any longer. It would lose a lot of its small-towns-small-cities-rural-wild-scenic-areas appeal.

The trick is to find a good balance, where you don't spoil the state's scenic beauty and small-town appeal, but young adults born and raised in Maine find enough good employment to avoid a choice between leaving their home and staying but often just getting by financially in drab jobs. I don't know in detail how to achieve that balance, but this would be a good general goal. It would be great if Maine's government, civic, and business leaders would focus seriously on the particular issue of opportunities for young adults.
I can agree with several points you make. For certain people living in Maine (for whatever reason--family, climate, scenery, etc.) is more important than their first career choice. Each person decides what is important to him/her. I would encourage Maine high school students when choosing a college major (if college is in their future), whether their chosen college major is going to result in a job opportunity in Maine or require they move out of state. ... or maybe they're going to college just for the fun of it or to become more educated rather than to equip themselves with job skills. I know someone who majored in music in college and made a career as an auto mechanic. There are those who live in Maine on the weekends and work in another state Monday through Friday. ...

Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM

29,027 posts, read 28,005,257 times
Quote:

He had an interview.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 676,960 times
Just heard on NPR about a new recruitment program in Maine - "Live and work in Maine"

Thought it might be of interest here.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine