U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 02:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 671,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So Mainers outside of the Portland area are not too accepting of newcomers? I was thinking of settling somewhere other than the Portland area. I am introverted, reserved and almost always do things alone. I am gay, in great physical shape and very liberal, anti-gun, etc.
Its being a liberal that gives people pause. My girlfriend is and I am Democrat. Along the coast you will be fine, the further inland you get the stronger conservative it will get.

Read some of my posts starting at the beginning and you can make your own judgment. I have had many Private Messages asking questions about my time in Maine. I just want to give people a balanced picture of the state before you uproot your life and take a chance. Maine isn't all bad but it's not the Utopia as described in these forums. Watch "Northern Woods Law" on the History Channel it is very informative of the deep woods of Maine.

True though, don't take Route One North until you get past Portland, the traffic can be worse than Los Angeles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:11 PM

1,297 posts, read 676,960 times
G1, great YouTube clip of knife edge hike. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,027,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Starting off at the base camp(ranger station) should be about three hours(maybe less).If you are skilled and daring try coming down "knife's edge" it should take an hour or so.There is nothing more stunning then the top of Katahdin.Yes I have done it,it was awesome and I will always remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbsk6Rxc2KI
Incredible !! Wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The most 'extreme' inhospitality I have seen has been that voiced on this forum at times.

It is very rare and unusual to find it In-Real-Life.

I migrated to Maine in 2005.
As we found the same as well

Old 07-08-2017, 04:38 PM

13,236 posts, read 10,098,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Starting off at the base camp(ranger station) should be about three hours(maybe less).If you are skilled and daring try coming down "knife's edge" it should take an hour or so.There is nothing more stunning then the top of Katahdin.Yes I have done it,it was awesome and I will always remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbsk6Rxc2KI
You want to allow at least 8 hours round trip, from what I remember longer if you plan on doing the Knife Edge.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
So Mainers outside of the Portland area are not too accepting of newcomers? I was thinking of settling somewhere other than the Portland area. I am introverted, reserved and almost always do things alone. I am gay, in great physical shape and very liberal, anti-gun, etc.
Rural ME is more conservative than Portland and coastal ME, but it's pretty much Live-and-Let-Live all over. But especially in the more rural areas, you might want to keep your progressive, anti-gun views to yourself at least until people get to know you better. You will most likely be tolerated, but at the same time possibly alienate some people. In Portland or Bangor it won't matter, and if you ever do move to/find work in ME it will likely be in one of the few main cities anyway.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM

19,276 posts, read 25,712,614 times
The golden rule is alive and well in Maine

Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 PM

11,368 posts, read 15,348,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Rural ME is more conservative than Portland and coastal ME, but it's pretty much Live-and-Let-Live all over. But especially in the more rural areas, you might want to keep your progressive, anti-gun views to yourself at least until people get to know you better. You will most likely be tolerated, but at the same time possibly alienate some people. In Portland or Bangor it won't matter, and if you ever do move to/find work in ME it will likely be in one of the few main cities anyway.
The majority of the jobs in my field in Maine are in the Portland area. But I don't really count that as real Maine, because it's in the extreme southwestern corner of the state. It's basically New Hampshire. It looks and feels almost exactly like New Hampshire, I think.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The majority of the jobs in my field in Maine are in the Portland area. But I don't really count that as real Maine, because it's in the extreme southwestern corner of the state. It's basically New Hampshire. It looks and feels almost exactly like New Hampshire, I think.
It's sort of a big Portsmouth. I don't see it as having a whole lot in common with inland NH.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:29 PM

321 posts, read 388,238 times
If you don't want to be in Greater Portland, but would like to live in a somewhat liberalish area, Bangor is probably your best choice. It's not super big, but there are more job opportunities compared to the Midcoast, and there are young people around.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Another thing to consider is that while it is certainly a live and let live place, it's also one of the most firearm friendly states in the country. Most who live here like it that way. Maine also flips back and forth with Vermont as the top safest state to live in. If any of those things bother you, maybe you should consider somewhere else. If you are OK accepting it how it is while maintaining your philosophical differences, then that would work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine