U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
32,039 posts, read 52,174,279 times
Reputation: 21505

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchaos View Post
My wife and I, 32 and 34 respectively, moved from CT about 2 years ago. The property in the areas that are very rural are VERY inexpensive , especially when comparing to CT.
Property taxes in the Unorganized Townships [52% of Maine] are very low too.



Quote:
... We bought our house up here and looked for jobs up here or remotely working. WE NEVER regretted our decision to move. I wake up every day in a place that I would consider paradise. All the people we have met have been great and very friendly. If you are looking to move here DO IT. Look all over Maine as they all have different things that are great about them. I hope you make it up here, best move you will make.

Check out upper midcoast also, great prices and you are very close to everything, State Parks,Ocean, Down East and Belfast/Bangor.
My wife had a federal job that she was able to transfer to Bangor.

Good luck
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,414 times
Reputation: 10
Yeah we both got Remote Work positions before we moved out of CT. Saw too many people warning to find a job first!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 PM
 
16,647 posts, read 6,591,198 times
Reputation: 6710
If I could get the Mrs. to go we would be there permanently .I am 61 years young and love ME.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,279 posts, read 15,128,558 times
Reputation: 7299
Just wanted to update everyone that I have delayed my trip to Maine to Sunday through Wednesday, because of the weather going on there now. With that said, I have compiled a list of things to do/see as follows, along with the general region so that I can map out a route later on:

Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land Down East
West Quoddy Headlight Down East
Wild Blueberry Land Down East
Park Loop Road Acadia National Park
Mount Battie Mid Coast
Cape Neddick Nubble Lighthouse Southwest
Baxter State Park - Chimney Pond Mid State
Baxter State Park - North Traveler Mountain Mid State
America's First Mile Fort Kent (not sure about this one, as it is super far north and may not be worth the drive)

As you can tell, I generally like outdoor/scenic activities. But I would also love to explore and take pictures of a very quaint, small town that is charming, walkable and has easy parking nearby. I'm sure Portland is going to be overcrowded and full of traffic, so I'll likely avoid it. But I'm looking for a charming town center or something like that. Any suggestions? Any other must see places in the state?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 04:36 AM
 
1,587 posts, read 2,149,930 times
Reputation: 1614
You'll be hoofin' it to see/do all that in four days. There are approx. 125 miles of hiking trails in Acadia National Park. From your list, you just want to ride by them on the Park Loop Road. I guess your plan is a start.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,279 posts, read 15,128,558 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You'll be hoofin' it to see/do all that in four days. There are approx. 125 miles of hiking trails in Acadia National Park. From your list, you just want to ride by them on the Park Loop Road. I guess your plan is a start.
It can easily be done in 3 days. I've done these kinds of things in much, much bigger states like Montana, for example. I am NOT looking to spend hours hiking and stopping and seeing every single little thing. My hikes will be limited to 1 hour round trip for the most part and quick visits to places here and there to take photos and do things.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 AM
 
12,148 posts, read 9,522,262 times
Reputation: 7009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just wanted to update everyone that I have delayed my trip to Maine to Sunday through Wednesday, because of the weather going on there now. With that said, I have compiled a list of things to do/see as follows, along with the general region so that I can map out a route later on:

Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land Down East
West Quoddy Headlight Down East
Wild Blueberry Land Down East
Park Loop Road Acadia National Park
Mount Battie Mid Coast
Cape Neddick Nubble Lighthouse Southwest
Baxter State Park - Chimney Pond Mid State
Baxter State Park - North Traveler Mountain Mid State
America's First Mile Fort Kent (not sure about this one, as it is super far north and may not be worth the drive)

As you can tell, I generally like outdoor/scenic activities. But I would also love to explore and take pictures of a very quaint, small town that is charming, walkable and has easy parking nearby. I'm sure Portland is going to be overcrowded and full of traffic, so I'll likely avoid it. But I'm looking for a charming town center or something like that. Any suggestions? Any other must see places in the state?
That is certainly a full itinerary for 4 days. If you do decide to head up to Fort Kent, you might as well visit the 4 Corners in Madawaska (farthest NE corner in the lower 48). It's a popular thing for road trippers to visit all 4 of them, especially rider clubs.


Charming picture perfect town center...maybe Camden? If you go to Mount Battie, you will be right there. Belfast to the north is another charming coastal town, but not quite as ritzy. Looking for a more "weathered" Down East setting, then I'd say Eastport which you can hit if/when you go to West Quoddy.


If you want a good scenic tour of western Maine on the way home, from Baxter head down 95 to 155 west at Howland, that will bring you to Rte. 6 which you follow around Moosehead Lake to Jackman, then head down US 201 back to 95 by Waterville. I would only recommend this side trip if you skip Northern Maine though, that would be too much.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Maine
321 posts, read 380,739 times
Reputation: 454
Baxter State Park is a real highlight, but given the amount of time you have, I would save it for next time. You will have to allot two days just for BSP if you want to explore both the northern and southern parts of the park.

Consider skipping Cape Neddick, getting off Route 1 in Brunswick, and driving up the coast. You can stop in Rockland, Camden, Rockport, and Belfast; there is enough there to keep you occupied for a day, particularly if you would like to hike at the state park in Camden - it's beautiful. Then you can spend a day or two up the coast in Acadia, and then another day in blueberry country and hiking the Cutler Coast (this will take about a day on its own including travel time).

Cape Neddick, Fort Kent, and Baxter can wait for another time. I like all of the places you have identified, I just think there is no way you will be able to see everything in the time you have.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,279 posts, read 15,128,558 times
Reputation: 7299
Well, Day 1 is officially planned out and I have a hotel booked.

I will leave my apartment in CT at 6:30 am on Sunday and drive up to Cape Neddick and arrive there by around 9:30 am. But maybe I'll skip it if it's really not worth it? After that, I will then drive all the way to Camden Park (Mount Battie) and hike it. I am estimating that it will be a 1.5 hour round trip hike. Then, I will drive straight up to Acadia National Park, drive around there for a bit, stop at a few spots to take pictures, then head for my hotel, which I booked in Ellsworth for the night. I decided that I will not stop and walk around any towns along the way, because the parking situation appears to be difficult.

Day 2, I will probably head out to Wild Blueberry Land, then Cutler Coast, then West Quoddy Headlight. So this day will be dedicated to the Down East region.

Day 3 will probably be dedicated to Baxter, since it's a far drive up and the hiking will take a few hours. I only want to do the Chimney Pond trail. I'm just gonna carry a water bottle and that's it. I'll be wearing my New Balance sneakers like I usually do when hiking. No big deal. But it appears that parking could be a nightmare at Baxter. Their website even makes a big deal about making parking reservations.

So I'm just playing it ear, after the first night. And will book hotels one night in advance, depending on how this trip goes. It's not like I have a plane or train to catch, so I have the flexibility of leaving early or staying extra days if desired.

I might not even bother with Fort Kent and the Four Corners thing way up north. I would love to, but the round trip drive just for that seems excessive. And I have issues with lower back pain, hip and ankle pain, which are all aggravated when driving. But we'll see how I do on time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Maine
6,147 posts, read 11,849,997 times
Reputation: 5908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Day 3 will probably be dedicated to Baxter, since it's a far drive up and the hiking will take a few hours. I only want to do the Chimney Pond trail. I'm just gonna carry a water bottle and that's it. I'll be wearing my New Balance sneakers like I usually do when hiking. No big deal. But it appears that parking could be a nightmare at Baxter. Their website even makes a big deal about making parking reservations.
Get the parking reservation. Without it you might not get in. Chimney Pond isn't a nice smooth trail. You'll be doing some climbing, not just hiking. You'd do well to put a little more time into researching that climb. Don't forget to slow down and enjoy the time here. Have fun!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top