Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:12 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

I am remodeling a century-plus old building, yesterday I spoke with the 'fire sprinkler tech'. He told me that many cities are shifting to over to building codes that require all dwellings to have sprinkler systems. There are only 200 of these techs in the entire state of Maine. They are working 70 hour work weeks trying to keep up with all of the work to be done. If a young adult is looking for a career that is in high demand this is it!

Straight up plumbers can not touch these systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:55 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
my son could have went to college out of state ,,,but he chose university of new england in biddeford

he went for 6 years and graduated as a dr of pharmacy,,,,got a job at a hospital well over 100k a yr

his group of friends,,,,,many went 4 years to be a nurse and they got it made,,,good pay live wherever they want

he and his group of friends,,,all gravitated towards portland and in particular the old port ,,,where every weekend it is packed with the younger crowd in the bars/taverns and nightclubs..

my son could work and live anywhere he wants,,,im fortunate he didnt move out of maine,,,yes he could make more money but i raised him,,,,, going fishing, going atv-ing, going snowmobiling,,,he likes the fresh air ..low crime and the outdoors maine has to offer...when he starts a family he wont move out of state,,

i could have moved out of state for more pay but i stayed,,,, i live on the water in maine and its my slice of heaven..

the maine folks are decent,,,,,crime is low , and im left alone ....what more can you ask for?

Old 07-08-2017, 03:54 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
If you want a 1 to 3 hour hike for spectacular scenery, climb North Traveler Mountain in Baxter Park. The trail is well marked.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I noticed that Maine has the highest median age of any state in the entire nation, with a median age of about 43 years old. I am 33 and live in Connecticut. I have visited Maine and think is a beautiful place and have even dreamed of living there. But why is the population skewed older than any state in the nation? Is it because young people don't like it? Is it brain drain? Or what? I don't get it. Maine is the cheapest New England state to live in, and is affordable in general. Is the job market just difficult? What are the reasons why the state doesn't have many young people?

Are there young enclaves throughout the state? Maybe Portland or something?

Next week I am planning a 2-3 day trip to Maine. I will be driving up by myself (if weather permits). I have been to the Portland area already, five years ago and loved it, but that was just the tip of the state. I want to explore much more of the coast all the way up through that Down East area or whatever it's called. I want to see Acadia National Park and Baxter National Park. I won't do any hiking though because I'm scared of moose, caribou and bears. Then I want to go allllllll the way up to Caribou and all the way to the end of U.S. 1. The whole area looks stunning just by looking on Google Maps. I think I will fall in love with it, since I'm a nature lover.

But anyway, how come the state lags far behind with young people? It kind of concerns me. I am currently unemployed and looking for an accounting job here in the Hartford, CT area, but may expand my search to the entire state of CT or heck, even all of New England soon (including ME), depending on how things go in the coming weeks. I'm sure ME would be an extreme culture shock though for someone from CT.

I watch WCSH6 online the Portland news station to keep in touch with what is going on. I still have land there and a few friends and may become a snowbird when that time comes. The local friends I did make were the ones that told me how a majority of Mainers can be.

Don't be afraid of animals hiking they are more afraid of you. Just don't sneak up o them they will defend themselves. If you see fresh tracks on the trail or poop, start to whistle or make some noise to alert them if they are near and they will most likely run away. You mentioned having hip pain, bring a bottle of Ibuprofen with you and an ace bandage. I also carried one of those small folding thermal blankets that fit in your pocket and a lighter. Just in case, one slip and a twisted ankle is all it takes to turn a perfect day into a nighttime nightmare.

I moved to Maine when I was 28 and loved it at first. I was continuously harassed by the locals as an outsider but let it roll off to get them to know me. It worked at first but eventually they will turn on you as they turn on each other. I strongly recommend staying near Portland, the locals your age in the county will not accept you unless you are a big introvert or hunter.

Maine can be a great state but proceed with caution. It's the people of Maine that are brutal, not the winter. The Governor acquitted a group of people in jail of lower offenses to help fill low level jobs because of the lack of labor. A friend there to me "At our best we are a depressed economy" he sent all his kids to college out of state to give them some cultural exposure.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son could have went to college out of state ,,,but he chose university of new england in biddeford

he went for 6 years and graduated as a dr of pharmacy,,,,got a job at a hospital well over 100k a yr

his group of friends,,,,,many went 4 years to be a nurse and they got it made,,,good pay live wherever they want

he and his group of friends,,,all gravitated towards portland and in particular the old port ,,,where every weekend it is packed with the younger crowd in the bars/taverns and nightclubs..

my son could work and live anywhere he wants,,,im fortunate he didnt move out of maine,,,yes he could make more money but i raised him,,,,, going fishing, going atv-ing, going snowmobiling,,,he likes the fresh air ..low crime and the outdoors maine has to offer...when he starts a family he wont move out of state,,

i could have moved out of state for more pay but i stayed,,,, i live on the water in maine and its my slice of heaven..

the maine folks are decent,,,,,crime is low , and im left alone ....what more can you ask for?
We see similar in the young people here in that, what they would gain in salary by going somewhere else, they would loose in activity abilities, and scenery. Most stay, or at least return in general.
Maine grabs your soul, keeps your heart, and restores one internal desires.
It is an older state, as far as "average age" by population, but that is due to a lower cost of living etc. Easier to live on a retirement pension. And the younger ones, those with young families, enjoy the activities of fishing etc. Sure does remind me of the old days - when people could walk their streets, ride their bikes etc, and enjoy the weather and life.

Our only regret in moving to Maine is that we did not do it Sooner !

Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
So Mainers outside of the Portland area are not too accepting of newcomers? I was thinking of settling somewhere other than the Portland area. I am introverted, reserved and almost always do things alone. I am gay, in great physical shape and very liberal, anti-gun, etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
So Mainers outside of the Portland area are not too accepting of newcomers? I was thinking of settling somewhere other than the Portland area. I am introverted, reserved and almost always do things alone. I am gay, in great physical shape and very liberal, anti-gun, etc.
Opinion Experience has had opinions of Mainers than none of the others on this board share.
We moved up here from Virginia 3 years ago, and have found- Any where We Go in Maine- Mainers to be warm, friendly, down to earth, and helpful of neighbors and community.
Treat people with respect, and be treated the same back. Fully accepted in our community, and have found they treat everyone else the same way also.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
All I can say is that Opinion Experience is completely, spectacularly and comically wrong in his assessment. IMHO. (And yes, I have lived outside of Maine, as well as in different parts of Maine. My wife is from Toronto and loves it here).
That said, very liberal people do fit in better around Portland or along the coast as far north as Bar Harbor. The rest of Maine is pretty conservative.
Good luck.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
If I go to Baxter, how long would it take to hike to the top of Mt. Kathadin? I only want to hike for maybe 1-2 hours max. If it's too long to hike up, are there any stunning spots around the base of the mountains that I can get some amazing photos?

Starting off at the base camp(ranger station) should be about three hours(maybe less).If you are skilled and daring try coming down "knife's edge" it should take an hour or so.There is nothing more stunning then the top of Katahdin.Yes I have done it,it was awesome and I will always remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbsk6Rxc2KI

Old 07-08-2017, 11:08 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
The most 'extreme' inhospitality I have seen has been that voiced on this forum at times.

It is very rare and unusual to find it In-Real-Life.

I migrated to Maine in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine