Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimice View Post
If I owned Maine and Hell, I'd rent out Maine and live in Hell
I am assuming you are talking about how you would rent out Maine as people would be more willing to live there. I am also assuming you would save the multible billions a year. From there i am assuming you would sell off the sections of Maine you do not want to live in, and would save yourself a nice 1000 acre plot somewhere north of bangor to live out the rest of your life happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 02:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Is it always cold year round, or just this year?
Greetings from coastal Hancock County, Maine, America. One night recently the overnight temperature was 48. Great sleeping weather! "Typical" overnight temps in 50s this time of year.... but don't count on it. Last Thursday and Friday were hot and humid. Overnight showers a couple of times this week, very foggy in am. Today was beautiful... early am fog cleared... sunny, nice breeze, 78 degrees .... not too hot; not too cold. IMHO, summers don't get any better than summers in Maine.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Greetings from coastal Hancock County, Maine, America. One night recently the overnight temperature was 48. Great sleeping weather! "Typical" overnight temps in 50s this time of year.... but don't count on it. Last Thursday and Friday were hot and humid. Overnight showers a couple of times this week, very foggy in am. Today was beautiful... early am fog cleared... sunny, nice breeze, 78 degrees .... not too hot; not too cold. IMHO, summers don't get any better than summers in Maine.
Yeah go ahead and rub it in!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
And another reason we Love Maine as we can Enjoy summertime, instead of staying inside in the AC or only doing things in the early am like we did before in Virginia.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:09 PM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Beyond some firms in Brunswick and Portland, you've got Bath Iron Works, and of course supermarkets, retailers, hospitals and a few colleges. Then there are a lot people who make their living seasonally off the summer gold rush of tourism each year, plus some stubborn/hardy farmers, fishermen, boat builders and not a small number of artists and artisans along the coast. But in terms of real booming employment, there just aren't a lot of big or expanding businesses in Maine, so I imagine most young people who leave are looking for better job prospects.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:44 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Beyond some firms in Brunswick and Portland, you've got Bath Iron Works, and of course supermarkets, retailers, hospitals and a few colleges. Then there are a lot people who make their living seasonally off the summer gold rush of tourism each year, plus some stubborn/hardy farmers, fishermen, boat builders and not a small number of artists and artisans along the coast. But in terms of real booming employment, there just aren't a lot of big or expanding businesses in Maine, so I imagine most young people who leave are looking for better job prospects.
I disagree with that most employers around here are actually the retail stores- be it Walmart, IGA's, Ace hardward etc. When I was young, I worked at first in retail also. ( later into business etc... and not really applying here as I was not living in Maine. )
If you are speaking of manufacturing only - then Mill in Baileyville actually just added more Toilet paper rolls to their plant etc.
One needs to keep in mind that Maine is a Big state with varying degree of employment opportunities.
We chose Maine to retired in and, as retired so none of this applies to us anyway....

Old 07-30-2017, 04:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think it's a wonderful, scenic state. If I were to live there, however, it would probably be one of the metro areas only, such as Portland. The rest of the state feels too isolated and cell phone reception is nonexistent in many parts.
You need to come up to Aroostook County if you want the experience with shoddy cell phone reception.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:45 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
If I were looking for a career type job in Maine, I would start with Maine.gov, jobs and employment link. We can "talk" about jobs and/or lack thereof, which ones are plentiful, etc. all day, but here's a website to begin your research. Don't rely on opinions and speculation, research for yourself.

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

I see numerous help wanted signs on a daily basis and not all are seasonal/summer work. I have friends/relatives who are nurses who have never had trouble finding a job anywhere they have lived. I know of a mason with a near rags to riches story. I've seen university librarian positions with MLS degree advertised pay $79,000, speech therapist, physical therapist seem to pay well... it all depends on what career you have your heart set on and whether you are willing to possibly go with a second or third choice in career to live in Maine. ... Some opt for two or three part-time retail positions. I know people with four year (or six year) college degrees who choose to live in Maine and work outside their original plan/college major.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:25 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Well, I applied to one job in Lewiston and another one in Portland, both of which I am qualified and interested in. But since I'm not a local candidate, I probably won't even be considered.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I applied to one job in Lewiston and another one in Portland, both of which I am qualified and interested in. But since I'm not a local candidate, I probably won't even be considered.
Can you drive up and apply in person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine