Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to go fishing in a lake where it's okay to eat the fish!! I know there are lots of lakes here in Maine, but not sure which ones have good clean fish. Back 40 years ago when I was a kid, we would not hesitate to eat trout from the brooks or mackerel from the ocean. I've just picked up fishing again these past couple of years. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
There are no paper mills in the entire Penobscot River watershed. That's a big area and easy to reach.

A few years ago, there was a big dioxin scare publicized by the environmental industry. Real research showed that there was more dioxin in rivers above paper mills than below. The paper mills were actually removing dioxin from our rivers. Where did the dioxin go? With the paper.

Dioxin is a natural byproduct from the decay of wood on the forest floor. It is natural and biodegradable.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times
Grand falls flowage into Lewy lake, into Long Lake in Princeton area.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM

164 posts, read 188,982 times
It would be interesting to know where NMLM gets his information but here is what the State of Maine says:

Freshwater Fish Safe Eating Guidelines - Environmental and Occupational Health - Maine CDC - DHHS Maine

And The world Health Organization on Dioxin:

WHO | Dioxins and their effects on human health

Bon appetit!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
When they took out the old Edwards Dam above Augusta, all the old tannery wastes that had been encapsulated in the silt for over a century were flushed down the Kennebec.

You need to look at the data and the motivations of the deep green activists who generate the data. Whole fish are put into a grinder to sample the whole fish for "contaminants". That is the source. Contaminants concentrate in fish livers. People don't eat fish livers except for sardines. When filets are sampled, the part of the fish people actually eat, the edible portion of the fish is fine.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm looking to go fishing in a lake where it's okay to eat the fish!! I know there are lots of lakes here in Maine, but not sure which ones have good clean fish. Back 40 years ago when I was a kid, we would not hesitate to eat trout from the brooks or mackerel from the ocean. I've just picked up fishing again these past couple of years. Thanks
There are a lot of lakes in Maine, and you didn't say where you are located. I know people eat fish they catch in Pennamaquan Lake and Boyden Lake in Perry I have no idea how those other comments were meant to help you find a lake where you could eat the fish you catch.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
When they took out the old Edwards Dam above Augusta, all the old tannery wastes that had been encapsulated in the silt for over a century were flushed down the Kennebec.

You need to look at the data and the motivations of the deep green activists who generate the data. Whole fish are put into a grinder to sample the whole fish for "contaminants". That is the source. Contaminants concentrate in fish livers. People don't eat fish livers except for sardines. When filets are sampled, the part of the fish people actually eat, the edible portion of the fish is fine.
A few decades ago we use to catch strippers down below
The dam and eat them

We would use blood worms off the bottom

The river is much cleaner now

Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM

164 posts, read 188,982 times
[quote=

You need to look at the data and the motivations of the deep green activists who generate the data. Whole fish are put into a grinder to sample the whole fish for "contaminants". That is the source. Contaminants concentrate in fish livers. People don't eat fish livers except for sardines. When filets are sampled, the part of the fish people actually eat, the edible portion of the fish is fine.[/quote]

Not so. From The State of Maine:

The Department of Environmental Protection targets a game species of fish and a bottom

feeding species of fish when doing sampling. The game fish is typically smallmouth

bass, though when other game fish species are abundant, they may be collected (e.g.,

trout). The bottom feeding species of fish has always been white sucker. Both dioxins

and coplanar PCBs are highly lipophilic (i.e., they have a very strong affinity for fatty

materials), and thus tend to be present at higher levels in fish that have a higher fat

content (e.g., both trout and white suckers have higher concentrations of fat in their tissue

as compared to smallmouth bass, so they typically have higher levels dioxins and

coplanar PCBs). All species of fish are filleted prior to analysis, so the dioxin and

coplanar PCB concentrations represent levels that would be consumed by someone eating

the fish. At most sampling locations, 5 to 10 individual fish are caught and analyzed for

dioxins and coplanar PCBs.
https://www1.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/en...al-of-pcdd.pdf

From the State of Vermont:

Misperception:“Thoroughly cooking the fish and trimming away the dark meat will get rid
of the mercury.

Fact:This is Not True. There is no method of cooking or cleaning a fish that will eliminate the amount of mercury in a meal. Mercury is tightly bound to the proteins in all fish tissue, including muscle. Mercury does not accumulate in any one area and cannot be cut from the fish.http://dec.vermont.gov/sites/dec/fil...rypamphlet.pdf

But it would be interesting to know where you get your information. Can you share your sources with us?

Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Grand falls flowage into Lewy lake, into Long Lake in Princeton area.
Yes! Great fishing, beautiful area, and osprey and eagles are easy to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are a lot of lakes in Maine, and you didn't say where you are located. I know people eat fish they catch in Pennamaquan Lake and Boyden Lake in Perry I have no idea how those other comments were meant to help you find a lake where you could eat the fish you catch.
My husband came home with 56 white perch out of Boyden last week. There isn't a limit to how many you can keep because there are too many.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I would have more problem with getting a fishing license than eating the fish I managed to catch. Even I, a new Hampshire Yankee, think Maine is a wonderful place. Down east is near the top of our "next place to visit" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine