Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,670 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In general can anyone comment on how small or large the Hispanic Community is overall? I am guessing it is larger in the mostly populated areas, but I could be wrong.

I am planning on moving there from Colorado next year (fingers crossed), and it is important to know how they are perceived, and if anyone on the board is hispanic that would be great if you could give an opinion, but i will be grateful for any. I live in s hispanic/latino community now, and don't experience any prejudice for the most part, but it does exist here in some areas of Denver/Aurora.

I've heard that the great people of Maine are friendly. I plan on moving to a rural area, and that is why I am concerned. Here in some small Colorado towns ,they can be pretty prejudice/ racist towards outsiders, especially those appearing different. That is my concern. any comments would be greatly appreciated.
ty in advance

Last edited by da3ley; 10-07-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Seasonal migrants came to pick blueberries a few years ago and they stayed. Now half the restaurants on Route 1 in Washington County are Mexican. I have not read of any problems. Washington County is very rural. In northern Counties there are very few foreign laborers except for the Canadians logging in western Aroostook County.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,663,359 times
I've not seen any particular racial prejudice anywhere I've been in Maine. From what Passamaquoddy people have told me, racial prejudice against their tribe was as bad in the 1950s as the racial prejudice against blacks was in the deep South. My observation is that nothing like that is common today. In all the places I've been in Maine, people were treated the same regardless of the color of their skin.

I seriously doubt any significant number of blueberry pickers stayed in Maine. I used to have a friend that worked in the Job Service office in Martinsburg, WV. Since she was bilingual, she got all the work with the migrant farm workers that came to Eastern West Virginia to pick the apple crop. She told me more than once that those same people had just left Maine where they were picking blueberries.

I don't think there is an abundance of Mexican restaurants in Washington County.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
From what Passamaquoddy people have told me, racial prejudice against their tribe was as bad in the 1950s

I don't think there is an abundance of Mexican restaurants in Washington County.
I can remember conflicts during the 1970s as well, my relatives have told me a lot of things that used to happen in the old days.

The only places I ever saw with Mexican food was Bank Square Pizza and one place in downtown Eastport that did not last long.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've not seen any particular racial prejudice anywhere I've been in Maine. From what Passamaquoddy people have told me, racial prejudice against their tribe was as bad in the 1950s as the racial prejudice against blacks was in the deep South. My observation is that nothing like that is common today. In all the places I've been in Maine, people were treated the same regardless of the color of their skin.

We live in Princeton, less than 1/4 mile from Indian Township- ie Passamaquoddy tribe.... No problems at all, and all of us live, as we are born, all people in a community...

Old 10-08-2017, 03:10 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
The Milbridge, cherryfield area has some latinos. I think there is a mexican restaurant in Milbridge.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The Milbridge, cherryfield area has some latinos. I think there is a mexican restaurant in Milbridge.
Yes, and it is wonderful.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Vazquez Mexican Takeout
38 Main Street (Route 1)
Milbridge

5am-10pm Monday - Saturday

4.5 stars on Yelp reviews

Old 10-09-2017, 06:39 AM

221 posts, read 243,168 times
My wife and I have tried a dozen or so 4+ star rated Mexican food restaurants up here. Nothing i've tried up here has been any good.

The seafood ive had up here has been great though.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Maine is one of the last places that Mexicans should go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: