U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 722 times

Advertisements

As all have stated, Aroostook is beautiful but changing...We have just about had it here, and are also worried about what will come our way. Too close to Canada. We are planning our relocation to WV in early 2018 any suggestions? Want a quiet town (but some ammenities)-low crime and close to a hospital (in case). Does such a place exist?? Have checked a lot of towns on-line, but unfortunately, that is not "real" information. We live near a lake and would like another lake-side town if possible. Need help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:23 AM

1,247 posts, read 637,078 times
I hope you will post on the WV forum. I think you will have more luck with recommendations there.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:53 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,864,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagosnipes View Post
As all have stated, Aroostook is beautiful but changing...We have just about had it here, and are also worried about what will come our way. Too close to Canada. We are planning our relocation to WV in early 2018 any suggestions? Want a quiet town (but some ammenities)-low crime and close to a hospital (in case). Does such a place exist?? Have checked a lot of towns on-line, but unfortunately, that is not "real" information. We live near a lake and would like another lake-side town if possible. Need help.
Truly strange indeed. DW's whole family from up there. And we always knew better than to move to Aroostook. 35 below zero last time we stayed at Pelletier's when we got up in the morning. Not because of anything other than "not a lot to do." We hunt, fish, and like to visit, but I know a lot of Theriaults, Pelletiers, etc., etc. in Central Maine. WTH does "too close to Canada" mean? Half the people up there have family just over the border. Do you fear invasion over the border like the OP? WV might be a good idea.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM

1,769 posts, read 941,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
no clue what you just said.....
Honestly- turning to a board to decide, it does seem like to me your mind is made up anyway. All I know is no one could pay me to live in Wva... Mountains or not- sticky hot, long communiting due to the road system, and taxes out the ying yang. ( for anyone in Virginia- we are glad it is no longer part of the state... put it that way.... )
I know WV well as well. Humidity is all relative. Mountains = winding roads and longer commutes. But areas of Pocahontas County are just stunning, remote, wild and beautiful. Investigate any community in the Quiet Zone.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 AM

776 posts, read 767,292 times
I live 200 feet from Canukistan and the only cross border traffic I see is loons, eagles and seals. I guy did get a blow up raft at Walmart last year and try to cross into Canada to see his pregnant girlfriend but as the saying goes-the Mounties always get their man. But then again I wave a water boundary line that keeps the hoards away.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:28 AM

But the drive from Fort Kent down 1 - aren't those churches across the river, and in Maine for that matter, some approaching "cathedral" status, isn't that something? The big wood church between Fort Kent and Van Buren is amazing.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:22 PM

12,192 posts, read 9,554,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
But the drive from Fort Kent down 1 - aren't those churches across the river, and in Maine for that matter, some approaching "cathedral" status, isn't that something? The big wood church between Fort Kent and Van Buren is amazing.
I believe you mean the one in Grand Isle? I hate to think the cost of upkeep there on that thing. But yeah, it is something.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,687,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagosnipes View Post
As all have stated, Aroostook is beautiful butMorgantow changing...We have just about had it here, and are also worried about what will come our way. Too close to Canada. We are planning our relocation to WV in early 2018 any suggestions? Want a quiet town (but some ammenities)-low crime and close to a hospital (in case). Does such a place exist?? Have checked a lot of towns on-line, but unfortunately, that is not "real" information. We live near a lake and would like another lake-side town if possible. Need help.
You might want to check out Summersville, Hinton and Morgantown for lake towns.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 AM

28,504 posts, read 27,299,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I believe you mean the one in Grand Isle? I hate to think the cost of upkeep there on that thing. But yeah, it is something.
This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3...du_Mont-Carmel

Nice building.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 AM

Das it. All wood. But it is overshadowed by the monstrous cathedrals across the river. We're talking somewhat remote, not very heavily populated areas on the U.S. Canadian Border, and the churches are HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or