Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM

35 posts, read 36,593 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for everything. I'm not a huge meat eater. But I do go through a lot of beef. Normally I get my beef at Joseph's in Waterville. I wanted burgers a couple of months ago and Josephs was closed so I went to Hannaford and got some 85%. It was honestly the worst beef I've ever eaten. Even worse than the time I broke down and talked myself into buying some at WalMart. Far worse. In my defense, Hannaford beef used to be passable. But I hadn't bought any there in years.

When I got home and unwrapped it, it was a very firm brick shaped pile of "meat". I weighed out 8 ounces and formed a perfectly round ball. Pressed down on it to form a burger and it flattened out. Into a square! That was when I knew I was in trouble. Either way, I already paid for it, might as well cook it. So I threw it on the heat and cooked it the same way I would normal hamburger. The result was a "burger" that was full of gristle and a cross in texture between a sponge and a piece of rubber. It was honestly the worst burger I have ever had.

I have had beef from all three major grocery stores in town. None of them come close to Joseph's in quality. I don't work there and I am not associated with them at all. I just cannot believe how much better they are than everybody else when it comes to beef. I was posting about pizza earlier and most of mine are topped with beef, so I just thought I would share my experiences. The crazy thing is they are significantly cheaper than Hannaford. Hannaford has gotten really greedy the last couple of years. They are almost as bad as Shaw's on prices now. Pretty sure they are cheaper than WalMart too- which I try to avoid if I can help it. If you live in the area and have never tried them, check them out. You will never want hamburg from anywhere else again. You want to be careful with some of the sales. Not the normal ones. But if it's too good to be true, it might be. For example: they had frozen haddock there for $4 a pound last winter. When I unthawed it, it was soaked. Saturated. I have never seen anything that wasn't a sponge absorb that much water. I dried the pieces as best I could, but even after cooking in the oven they were watery. But other than that, they have awesome meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsmith2 View Post
I can't speak for everything. I'm not a huge meat eater. But I do go through a lot of beef. Normally I get my beef at Joseph's in Waterville. I wanted burgers a couple of months ago and Josephs was closed so I went to Hannaford and got some 85%. It was honestly the worst beef I've ever eaten. Even worse than the time I broke down and talked myself into buying some at WalMart. Far worse. In my defense, Hannaford beef used to be passable. But I hadn't bought any there in years.

When I got home and unwrapped it, it was a very firm brick shaped pile of "meat". I weighed out 8 ounces and formed a perfectly round ball. Pressed down on it to form a burger and it flattened out. Into a square! That was when I knew I was in trouble. Either way, I already paid for it, might as well cook it. So I threw it on the heat and cooked it the same way I would normal hamburger. The result was a "burger" that was full of gristle and a cross in texture between a sponge and a piece of rubber. It was honestly the worst burger I have ever had.

I have had beef from all three major grocery stores in town. None of them come close to Joseph's in quality. I don't work there and I am not associated with them at all. I just cannot believe how much better they are than everybody else when it comes to beef. I was posting about pizza earlier and most of mine are topped with beef, so I just thought I would share my experiences. The crazy thing is they are significantly cheaper than Hannaford. Hannaford has gotten really greedy the last couple of years. They are almost as bad as Shaw's on prices now. Pretty sure they are cheaper than WalMart too- which I try to avoid if I can help it. If you live in the area and have never tried them, check them out. You will never want hamburg from anywhere else again. You want to be careful with some of the sales. Not the normal ones. But if it's too good to be true, it might be. For example: they had frozen haddock there for $4 a pound last winter. When I unthawed it, it was soaked. Saturated. I have never seen anything that wasn't a sponge absorb that much water. I dried the pieces as best I could, but even after cooking in the oven they were watery. But other than that, they have awesome meat.
Walmart. Doesn't make fresh burger onsite all it's burger is shipped in and packaged thousands of miles away

Hannaford. They too have gone the shipped in burger route
Except for their. 80/20. Grade.
Hannaford years ago use to be known for good meats
Now they are owned by a huge conglomerate From Belgium
Again. If you see wavy burger ( pattern) at Hannaford it's been shipped in from thousands of miles away

Shaws uses what they call tube burger - preprocessed

The independents and butcher shops are the only ones left doing the real burger from steak trimmings

Joseph's market has been there forever Kevin the last of the Joseph's sold out a couple years ago and he opened a successful restaurant

I also heard. That. There's a new meat market called emerys in Waterville

I use to be a meat manager for Hannaford many years ago
I still own hundreds of shares of stock
But their meats have gone south

They are a chained owned store you have one buyer buying for hundreds of stores

Independents can buy from many different and local suppliers

Case ready pre cut steaks are also coming to supermarkets just like Walmart
Food lion went case ready
Stopnshop is going case ready meats
These are sister chains of Hannaford (same owners)

Case ready means cut thousands of miles away and shipped in
Not cut fresh on site.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
We love our meats from our local IGA... Local type meats, known source, and well done in freshness.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
We love our meats from our local IGA... Local type meats, known source, and well done in freshness.
Thank you for posting !

I have to agree with this. Well said 😄

At least you know your steaks and pork chops are cut by hand
Fresh at the store
And they welcome special orders/requests something Walmart doesn't. Do

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Thank you for posting !

I have to agree with this. Well said 😄

At least you know your steaks and pork chops are cut by hand
Fresh at the store
And they welcome special orders/requests something Walmart doesn't. Do
They Are ! And if you want a bigger size whatever- they will get it for you- right then- right there.... Love their fresh ground hamburger... Made just that day !

Old 08-11-2017, 07:52 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,760 times
W.A. Bean Meats on the Bomarc Road in Bangor. They even make Rice's hotdogs as well under contract. I've seen all the hotdogs made. No waste scraps there. Only ones I'll let the grandkids eat. And the finest cuts, various vegetables, potatoes, cheese, beef sections available (1/4, 1/2) and for the West Coasters they might even knock you out a tri-tip if you want.

Only place we buy pork or beef any more. Pricier than Hannaford, but well worth it.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Are you sure the meat is raised locally? In the 26 years I've shopped there I'd not heard this until now.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM

It's all shipped in. There are no processors left in Maine that I know of unless you want to take a critter to Maplewood Farms out in Charleston/Bradford. I sincerely doubt the IGA has any much of anything actually "local."

Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
It's all shipped in. There are no processors left in Maine that I know of unless you want to take a critter to Maplewood Farms out in Charleston/Bradford. I sincerely doubt the IGA has any much of anything actually "local."

all shipped in?? no processors left??

more and more iga's are doing business with local farms

and there are still some processors of beef critters and hogs around the state
here are a few
pineland farms/wolfnecks farm in new gloucester and freeport
herring brothers in guilford
bisson and sons in topsham
curtis custom meats in warren
westons in litchfield
west gardiner beef

new place in gardiner maine for local meats

and there are many others...

here are a few pictures.... again, the local iga can sell local products...and many stores over 20 i know of already do

here's the challenge.... availability...
i pushed pineland farms maine beef to over 50 stores (iga's) in maine from wells to ft kent
retail price and availibility was the challenge....out of the 50 stores i pushed to get maine meats in only 3-4 was able to keep selling it
places like french and brawn in camden .

the local, grass fed, and organic meats can be very pricey and do not sell well in many rural towns......but more and more stores are offering local products

keep in mind.....the iga's have a high price image to many compared to hannaford and walmart and shaws.....
maine is a poor state most mainers make purchase decisions on price....

and the sirloin strip in the picture from maine,,,the retail price per lb is 19.99 ....

rib eyes and strips are in high demand....thats why they are so high...and if you take these out of the critter you still have to sell the rest..

If you live in the Wateville area and you like meat.....-img_1462.jpg

If you live in the Wateville area and you like meat.....-img_5730-edited-1-.jpg

If you live in the Wateville area and you like meat.....-img_1461.jpg

here's a list of processors
wholesalers not all of them

https://www1.maine.gov/dacf/qar/insp...lantsrev08.pdf

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 08-11-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Sweet. I knew about Herring Brothers, since they do business with W.A. Bean. I just figured that the IGA franchises would do whatever it takes to pull the highest markup. My incorrect assumption. My freezer is full of venison in any event. We do go get slab bacon now to mix with the trim for sausage. One of the boys came up with that a few years ago. Trimmed venison, bacon, stuffed in natural casing with duck eggs for breakfast all winter. Mmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine