Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
This.

Two springs ago, we camped out on the tip in that park and enjoyed watching a bald eagle couple return to their annual nest and start their brood. (hope that's the correct word)

We were told at that time that the park was on leased land and might close when the lease expired. Don't know if that's true.

Anybody here know?

Brings to mind a "small world" story. Some years back, I went to CSP to camp. The ranger at the gate said there were five isolated tent sites out on that tip that were really special spots. But to see if there were any open ones I would have to hike in and see for myself, then report back to him. (About a ten-fifteen minute hike). I beat feet and headed in, carrying my back pack so that I could claim any open sites before heading back out to the ranger cabin. I could see a young couple way up ahead of me who were also hiking in, so I knew I had competition for any open sites. As I hiked in, I saw that the first three sites were all taken. So I knew that if the next one was also taken, I had no chance of camping on the point. A couple minutes later the fourth site came into view, down below the elevated trail............ and I could see people setting up a tent and unpacking. I said a little curse word and paused to catch my breath. A minute later, the woman who was bent over driving in tent stakes stood up, and I was face to face with my sister...........lol. I had no idea that she and her husband were also galavanting around Maine camping. (They live in Industry).
So I got a spot after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:04 PM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Same as "our" Eagle, I'll bet. Had a nest in the small island just off shore in the bay. We also had sea lions and, believe it or not,foxes. Now, not to exaggerate I sat in my camp chair, took out a pin that I had in my gear, and let it drop. I could clearly hear it hit the floor litter. That's how incredibly quiet it was. And, when the tide went out, my nephew and I went down to the bottom of the exposed bay, collected steamer clams, fresh Atlantic mussels, and periwinkles. We met someone else collecting them from the other side. I asked what they used them for and they replied, "Dinner"! So, they got tossed into the pot and we steamed ourselves a feast fresh from the bounty of the ocean. I'll remember that day, as my nephew has, forever.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Yeah. Don't get much better than that.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Salmon farming was a big part of the economy when I lived there 20 years ago. The port provided some as well, I see on Marine Traffic a few ships still head in there. Plus Scallop dragging.

Any one know how the tidal power project is going?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:55 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
There is currently nothing happening with the tidal power project.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:51 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Let me ask this Eastport question. Does proximity to the ocean protect residents of both the Biting Black Fly and Mosquito problems?

I know that coastal areas are almost always breezy, and mosquitoes hate wind. Not sure if coastal Maine is protected from the biting black flies.

It seems if coastal Maine is inexpensive, AND generally bug free of the worst nuisance pests, it would be a great place to live if you no longer need work and can tolerate the short winter daylight.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:55 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Let me ask this Eastport question. Does proximity to the ocean protect residents of both the Biting Black Fly and Mosquito problems?

I know that coastal areas are almost always breezy, and mosquitoes hate wind. Not sure if coastal Maine is protected from the biting black flies.

It seems if coastal Maine is inexpensive, AND generally bug free of the worst nuisance pests, it would be a great place to live if you no longer need work and can tolerate the short winter daylight.
I've never seen a "Notorious Maine Black Fly" in Eastport, so, if you have any with you when you're coming for a visit, please leave them on the mainland when you turn off Rt. 1 onto 190.

I have seen a mosquito or two in the past few years, but overall, they are almost nonexistent in Eastport.

We make up for it with biting red ants.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
You know, I think you're not talking about blackflies, but those damn smaller-than-houseflies biters. I haven't seen ANY of those anywhere but 25 miles offshore in the Gulf of Maine. They are miserable when they find you, and the bite HURTS. But that's the only place I've seen them. Never on the coast anywhere. And these aren't deerflies, either. They seem to hang out around flotsam on the open ocean and really come after you when the wind is down.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Those must be what I encountered on Pond Island a decade or so ago. I had never seen them anywhere else. Pond Island is about 8 miles out off the outlet of the Narraguagus River.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Looks like a stop in Eastport is in our future as part of next years trip to Newfoundland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine