Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:44 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Prius' are becoming more popular, I see them around a lot.

I have seen 'pious' used as a slur for the Prius in other forums. I am curious about one thing. It seems to me that posters in other forums are trying to project the idea that Prius owners act in a false-pious manner by a display of some virtue.

Is this just an internet thing? Or has anyone actually observed this piety in real life on the part of a Prius owner?

We bought a Prius in 2011. At that time gas prices were high, and it seemed that gas prices were only going to keep climbing. So we wanted to try a hybrid in the hope of spending less on fuel purchases. We have put over 160k miles on that car, and we are very happy with it's performance and gas mileage.

Last year we inherited a car, and we wanted to trade it in. The dealership had a Prius plug-in on their lot, and now that our home has been on Solar Power for 2 years we decided to see how driving a plug-in car would work by being charged from our solar system. So now I have a 2017 Prius Plug-in.

We are just trying to be frugal in the face of future rising fuel prices. I do not know if that is really a 'virtue' worthy of showing piety over.

I have seen the pious thing here in MA. I dont know if its the same in Maine though. Down here there is alot of truth to vegans/vegatarians/prius owners and the like acting better than everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Owners advertise themselves with stickers on their vehicles. After a wile, perceptive people see trends.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Nice. You've gained a follower. Tell him about the Aroostook Watchmen.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 AM

221 posts, read 243,289 times
If Toyota had an AWD prius hybrid I would definitely entertain it. as of right now i'm debating a Rav4 AWD hybrid for my 30k+ a year commute for work.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
We've had a Rav4 since new in 2003 (not a hybrid). A little work and she's still running like a champ.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Owners advertise themselves with stickers on their vehicles. After a while, perceptive people see trends.
I live on MDI. Both of my cars have a sticker on the back that has a picture of the island, and that states next to the picture: NOT ON VACATION. I'm hoping that tourists understand that people actually live here and that its not a theme park.

I'm working toward a perceptive trend.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
I remember my grandpa had a sticker on his old truck back in the early 1970's that proclaimed, "Welcome to Maine, now go home"

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
MSP079,
I Fully understand where you are coming from. I absolutely love Maine. I vacation there 2-3 times per year. I'd move there in a heartbeat!

I'm from L.I. NY. Our property taxes & housing is insane here!
However, L.I. is the place to work, but NOT to retire. Where as Maine is the opposite.

I worked out the numbers numerous times to make the move to Maine. It's just not financial feasible for my wife & I (no kids) to do so. She's a nurse & would take a 40k pay cut. I can transfer anywhere & take a 10k pay cut moving to Maine.

So, for us (everyone's situation is different) we will eventually get a small log cabin/vacation home.

Last edited by Spanky25; 09-21-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
MSP079,
I Fully understand where you are coming from. I absolutely love Maine. I vacation there 2-3 times per year. I'd move there in a heartbeat!

I'm from L.I. NY. Our property taxes & housing is insane here!
However, L.I. is the place to work, but NOT to retire. Where as Maine is the opposite.

I worked out the numbers numerous times to make the move to Maine. It's just not financial feasible for my wife & I (no kids) to do so. She's a nurse & would take a 40k pay cut. I can transfer anywhere & take a 10k pay cut moving to Maine.

So, for us (everyone's situation is different) we will eventually get a small log cabin/vacation home.
I hear ya..but the older I get I realize that I can forgo the luxuries to save money for what counts. Most people live above their means and/or don't need 75% of the crap they supposedly have or want. Translation: I'm eating ramen to save for a Maine move someday...

Old 09-22-2017, 11:47 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
MSP079,
In my case I vacationed here from 1977 to 2007---30 years. It just never occurred to us that we could actually move here after about 1978 when we tried to move here and couldn't find a job.

I was staying at the house where we always stayed, and the owner(who went into a campground so they could rent their house int he summer) came over to cut the lawn and pick some tomatoes. She asked us why we were retiring to a house we built on 40 acres of land in western PA mountains.

We just looked at each other and said, "We could actually move here?????" it never occurred to us.

We talked about it all the way home 14 hours. In the end it started a long and very difficult odyssey that took 4 years to sell all our property in PA, renovate our one house completely to sell in the middle of the housing crunch, buy property here, rent it, and juggle it all just so we could move here. We never looked back. But to say it was easy is totally wrong. And some part of it we were hanging by a thread. If the rented house that wee needed to pay most of the mortgage had developed some terrible problem, we would have been financially up the creek.

But if you are willing to work at it, you can move here, just not in a heartbeat. We never regretted doing it all. And despite the fact that we sold a house that we lovingly constructed all by ourselves from a kit in 1998-2001, on 40 acres of totally forested land, our present dwelling is so much better in so many many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine