U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM

34 posts, read 23,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Where such a job opening exists will play a large role in where you can settle. Before we moved to Maine my Dw had a federal job working for an alphabet agency. She was able to transfer her job to Bangor, so we located a town near Bangor that we like.

A 3-hour commute will ruin even the 'best' locations.

I suppose I should have done this in my initial post. Here's the listing of all cities I'll have to choose from to work in for my company.
Scarborough, Falmouth, Brunswick, Windham, Auburn, Sanford, Biddeford, Oxford, Palmyra, Bangor, Brewer, Augusta, Lamoine, Farmington, Presque Isle, Lincoln, Mexico, Thomaston, Waterville, Skohegan, Calias, and Houlton.
As far as a commute, I'd like to stay within 20-30 minutes of any of these locations, as I'm sure that's many many towns.

Last edited by jdorm41; 09-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Add more information
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I am a country boy from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and like Calais just fine, I have to drive to Bangor, Ellsworth or Saint John and Fredericton New Brunswick on occasion to make some purchases, but eBay and Amazon deliver as well. Funny thing is, often as not it's warmer in Calais than my home in North Carolina except perhaps for the odd day in December-February.
We've spent two years just west of the Smokey mountains, which is some pretty scenery in the fall. Since you've spent time in Blue Rdige, you'll know what I'm talking about. We're definitely interested in a place in Maine similar to that but still close enough to commute to work in the towns I've listed.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM

Another thing we've got to consider is land prices as we'd want to build a cabin or cottage type home.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 PM

10,224 posts, read 16,101,674 times
The Lincoln area could meet your needs. It is less costly to buy than build in most of Maine. However, if you do build the most economical way is to build a post and beam home. They cost a third what a log home would cost and have just as much "character".

Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 PM

6,933 posts, read 4,780,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorm41 View Post
I suppose I should have done this in my initial post. Here's the listing of all cities I'll have to choose from to work in for my company.
Scarborough, Falmouth, Brunswick, Windham, Auburn, Sanford, Biddeford, Oxford, Palmyra, Bangor, Brewer, Augusta, Lamoine, Farmington, Presque Isle, Lincoln, Mexico, Thomaston, Waterville, Skohegan, Calias, and Houlton.
As far as a commute, I'd like to stay within 20-30 minutes of any of these locations, as I'm sure that's many many towns.
You have almost the entire state covered, then. Some of those places are very rural with small towns. Some are in areas that are much more built up.
Southern Maine and coastal areas will cost you twice as much for property as the other areas.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 AM

615 posts, read 1,084,083 times
Lamoine area is nice. Rural, good little general store. Close to Ellsworth and Bangor for more dining and shopping options.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 PM

476 posts, read 664,370 times
Quote:
If those are the potential relocation towns, you certainly have a huge choice of locations to draw upon!
Also, if the estimated income is close to what you listed, you should have no problem at all with your monthly family budget.

You should probably just visit and blitz the general area of the above listed towns, and then decide, if that is at all possible. I can only really comment from any kind of experience on Brunswick and Thomaston. They are both fine towns, with Thomaston probably getting my nod between the two, based on your criterion.

You will love Maine! The folks are great, and it is a very friendly environment!

Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the insight, we're going to look at heading up to Maine in May and visit for a week. We'll try and hit a few towns and go from there. The biggest concern for the misses is internet connections. She will be working online a lot and would like to know how likely would we lose service during the winter in some of the smaller towns in Maine?

Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 PM

32,434 posts, read 52,764,484 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the insight, we're going to look at heading up to Maine in May and visit for a week. We'll try and hit a few towns and go from there. The biggest concern for the misses is internet connections. She will be working online a lot and would like to know how likely would we lose service during the winter in some of the smaller towns in Maine?
My internet access goes down maybe once a year. I think outages are mostly due to lightning strikes to the phone company infrastructure. Sometimes a power spike will fry my modem, and sometimes it fries the phone company 'dslam' card.

This is not any more common in Winter, as compared to Summer.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My internet access goes down maybe once a year. I think outages are mostly due to lightning strikes to the phone company infrastructure. Sometimes a power spike will fry my modem, and sometimes it fries the phone company 'dslam' card.

This is not any more common in Winter, as compared to Summer.
What region in Maine do you live, to give us an idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine