U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 AM

281 posts, read 999,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
My Bank is doing an automatic re-issue of cards. I called them and they explained they had already put us in for new cards and we should recieve them In the mail soon. I use my debit for grocery shopping, faster than a check and I don't have to worry about carrying much cash.
Our bank does that too. I get new cards every other month...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 AM

182 posts, read 457,518 times
Last nights news reported two lawsuits filed that are looking to be certified as class actions

Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM

8,315 posts, read 23,732,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
I called my bank and they said they are not issuing new cards automatically but will at the request of a customer. My new cards will be here in a week or so. I agree that maybe the thing to start doing is to get cash for such things as groceries and gas and use the debit card less. I keep hearing that Hannaford is investigating how the breach happened. However, for now that does me no good and I am sure this will keep happening over and over in more businesses. Modern technology is wonderful...to a point. My bank also said if charges showed up on my account and I did not make them that they would dispute them. Would that mean I have to wait to get money put back into my account while they are disputing any charges? Who can afford to wait while that happens? Not me.
I am still up in the air over whether I should get a new card or not.

What really upsets me about Hannaford's is that they waited too long before they announced the news. They should have announced it the moment it happened. I have a feeling that Hannaford wanted to quietly nip it in the bud and then hope for the best, which puts a class action suit in good hands.

One thing that everyone needs to realize is that this is all part and parcel of the 21st Century. Use a credit or debit card and you run the risk of that info getting into the wrong hands. Credit card fraud up until the late 90's happened, but it was a lot trickier to pull off. It can now be done with relative ease mainly because of the number of internet sites that are that simply allow you to inter a card number and expiration date without any other data that would 'prove' your identity.

Another thing is that it is kind of a win-win-win situation, with the consumer once again getting rear-ended.

Your bank may dispute any claims mainly as a reason to protect themselves. In the first couple of days since this story broke you could have said, "Uh, yeah, I didn't purchase this snow mobile. I don't know where this charge came from?" and you would have more then likely got something for free. Now, too many people are catching on and are 'disputing' purchases that they made themselves.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM

444 posts, read 865,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am still up in the air over whether I should get a new card or not.

What really upsets me about Hannaford's is that they waited too long before they announced the news. They should have announced it the moment it happened. I have a feeling that Hannaford wanted to quietly nip it in the bud and then hope for the best, which puts a class action suit in good hands.
I'm still up in the air, too...I called my bank and they told me they were closely monitoring everything, and that I didn't need to get new debit cards. It just really bothers me that my information may or may not be in someone's possession, and they may be quietly waiting to sneak in a purchase or two. Kind of the same feeling I get about investing in Roth IRA's for my retirement - it may or may not be there when I need it. I know this is not a rational thought (after all, these are reputable companies, and I'm investing in "targeted retirement date" funds), but I am paranoid enough to have my IRA's with two different companies. I have "bag lady syndrome". I feel like a survivor, and have planned for the future - but there are nagging doubts about financial ruin in the back of my mind. Am I nuts???

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,870,520 times
Quote:
Your bank may dispute any claims mainly as a reason to protect themselves. In the first couple of days since this story broke you could have said, "Uh, yeah, I didn't purchase this snow mobile. I don't know where this charge came from?" and you would have more then likely got something for free. Now, too many people are catching on and are 'disputing' purchases that they made themselves.
It might be hard for someone living in Maine this year to dispute a purchase of a snowmobile or snowblower

I'm not in banking, but from the news reports I've read, it seems that most of the bona fide illegal purchases are taking place far out of state, i.e., where the crooks live or went. Like the case written up in yesterday's PPH where someone's card was "frozen" due to purchases made in Mexico (er, the country, not the town). And wasn't another Mainer's card used to purchase about $1500 worth of stuff in a New Jersey CVS? These days it could cost you that much in gas just to get to New Jersey to make the purchase you'd like to try disputing

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,870,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
I'm still up in the air, too...I called my bank and they told me they were closely monitoring everything, and that I didn't need to get new debit cards. It just really bothers me that my information may or may not be in someone's possession, and they may be quietly waiting to sneak in a purchase or two. Kind of the same feeling I get about investing in Roth IRA's for my retirement - it may or may not be there when I need it. I know this is not a rational thought (after all, these are reputable companies, and I'm investing in "targeted retirement date" funds), but I am paranoid enough to have my IRA's with two different companies. I have "bag lady syndrome". I feel like a survivor, and have planned for the future - but there are nagging doubts about financial ruin in the back of my mind. Am I nuts???
No, you're smart to be cautious.
Many people have been financially ruined by trusting too much.

I have free online banking so I can check purchases pretty quickly, and since I'm a creature of habit a really bizarre charge would stick out like a sore thumb.
Still, I'd prefer to get a whole new card just in case the crook likes to shop at the same stores I do. Unlikely, but you never know....

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM

8,315 posts, read 23,732,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
My girlfriend's bank had a list of all the numbers stolen and was able to reference hers against the list. Her bank card was not on there, but they are sending her a new card anyways. Her mom is a project manager for electronic security and she says that more then likely this was in inside job (mainly because it took them so long to detect it). Chances are whomever stole the numbers are selling them.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:31 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,342,969 times
Quote:
she says that more then likely this was in inside job (mainly because it took them so long to detect it). Chances are whomever stole the numbers are selling them.
Oh Oh my Stepson works for Hannaford's, though I doubt he's a credit card number thief.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM

4,567 posts, read 9,609,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
just drop by the ATM machine and get enough cash to handle the purchases!
Actually, ATM machines can be less safe. Why? Because of ATM Skimmers, your giving the thief your pin number. With this, they dont even need to buy merchandise on your stolen card, they can just walk up to an ATM and drain cash out of your account and disappear without a trace.

VIDEO:

YouTube - The Real Hustle - ATM Scam

My 2 cents. Use atm machines in a bank, they are checked more often by bank employees. Also, only use your debit card as a VISA/MC. Never use it as a debit and never enter your pin. Although they are not supposed to, some stores do save your pin number and account number. And these databases, like Hannaford are stolen often. The good thing about Hannaford is, they found out about it! Just think how many stores have no idea this is happening.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM

281 posts, read 999,618 times
With the recesion I am going back to the matress form of ATM. Since my matress does not get much action...I am married, money should be safe and sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine