Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Agreed, an apology would be nice, along with the time period ( exact dates) that are affected.
You would think a community company like Hannaford would be very transparent about this and have a full page apology ad immediately.
Well---there are community companies that are built on the premise of providing service to their community, and there are community companies that just happen to have been in business in one place for a long time. The latter may be more interested in protecting their assets than serving the best interest of the people who support them.

Obviously, we (general public) did expect a swift and apologetic response. The official statement I see on their website is the standard "sorry for the inconvenience but hope you will keep trusting us and buying stuff from us" memo. Would be nice if they offered a more personal response and concrete support. Just my opinion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We shop at Hannafords.

We were notified 25 February by our CC company of unusual charges. I called them, thinking that since my DW was traveling out-of-state, her gassing-up 'away' had tripped a flag. Such has happened to us previously.

Starting on the 20th, our CC was used for a long list of purchases. All of which were WWW charges. Google.com, AOL, Lime-wire, etc. I verbally denied making those purchases. They immediately canceled that CC, and assured me that new CCs would be in the mail and to us within one week.

Dw travels with a spare CC, that she only uses for traveling [due to having been stranded previously when a CC gets locked].

And the following week we had our new CCs.

This CC company does send us offers to pay for additional fees, for 'insurance' against such theft. However we always refuse such offers. Since their normal policy is to charge all fraud charges anyway, why should I pay for 'insurance'?

CC companies in America make a HUGE profit. Even though there exists CC theft in the millions of dollars each week. It is nothing compared to their profits from the interest charges. Hiring lawyers to go after the criminals, and the trials, and delays, and blah, would however cost the CC companies a fortune. So they don't go after the criminals.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
My Bank is doing an automatic re-issue of cards. I called them and they explained they had already put us in for new cards and we should recieve them In the mail soon. I use my debit for grocery shopping, faster than a check and I don't have to worry about carrying much cash.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
In today's world this kind of thing is bound to happen..can't get all nuts over it. Just be thankful you don't work for Bear Stearns and have your entire 401K invested there.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
In today's world this kind of thing is bound to happen..can't get all nuts over it. Just be thankful you don't work for Bear Stearns and have your entire 401K invested there.

Seriously, I'm anxious to see how that all plays out. Who'd a thought, Bear Stearns of all brokerages. Yikes!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
My Bank is doing an automatic re-issue of cards. I called them and they explained they had already put us in for new cards and we should recieve them In the mail soon. I use my debit for grocery shopping, faster than a check and I don't have to worry about carrying much cash.
Msina, do you mind telling us which bank is doing this? I haven't heard a peep out of mine yet (KeyBank) except they have beefed up the security a bit with their online banking.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Bank of America. Call your bank, request a new card, just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I heard just an hour ago or so that the breach in the security reached way back to Dec 7th. Nice! I'm glad I don't shop there and when we do get groceries, we stop by the bank and draw out the cash for the shopping trip.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Bank of America. Call your bank, request a new card, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks - and guess I'll have to Darn it. I went to TJ Maxx and they get hacked. Now I'm going to Hannaford and they get hacked. Attention Walmart shoppers, you might want to start using cash, because I go there too

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times
I called my bank and they said they are not issuing new cards automatically but will at the request of a customer. My new cards will be here in a week or so. I agree that maybe the thing to start doing is to get cash for such things as groceries and gas and use the debit card less. I keep hearing that Hannaford is investigating how the breach happened. However, for now that does me no good and I am sure this will keep happening over and over in more businesses. Modern technology is wonderful...to a point. My bank also said if charges showed up on my account and I did not make them that they would dispute them. Would that mean I have to wait to get money put back into my account while they are disputing any charges? Who can afford to wait while that happens? Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine