U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 PM

216 posts, read 153,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Posting your land is not considered very neighborly. If you are going to post the land, be sure to use lots of signs on all sides and it still wouldn't hurt to have your kids wear orange when playing in the woods during hunting season. Better safe than sorry. Most hunters will respect your signs, but it would only take one person who doesn't see the signs. I don't think hunting on UNposted land is considered trespassing. btw, Anyone with half a brain, won't shoot toward your house. Nowadays, I'd be concerned about deer ticks or other kinds of ticks when it comes to kids playing in the woods. Deer hunting is a time-honored tradition in Maine; if you want to practice assimilation, don't post your land and stay out of the woods during hunting season. You might be wondering if I am a hunter. No.

Maybe someone will find this link helpful and/or informative. https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-t...and/index.html
Deer hunting is quite a big deal in Texas as well, but we usually get permission, pay for a deer lease or own our own hunting grounds. We don't trespass on others property (this is a good way to get shot in Texas) and we dont gun down people in the woods because they aren't wearing orange. I would much rather be un-neighborly then to come home to a dead wife or child because they were foraging in the woods without orange on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,034,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has a good safety record regarding hunting. You are far safer in the woods than you are driving or as a pedestrian along the roads. That said, it is prudent to wear hunter orange during deer season. It is not required during moose season. A pedestrian being struck and killed by a driver gets little publicity in Maine newspapers. A person being accidentally killed by a hunter will receive years of publicity due simply to editorial policy. Both fatalities are tragic. Both could have been prevented by either party having better judgment.

Maine has about 35 traffic deaths per year. We have one hunting death every five years.
Very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

My husband was shot in a hunting incident (not accident). We wear orange. We do live in the woods so that's common sense. If we lived in town and hunting were allowed we'd wear orange. Better safe than sorry.
Our whole town wears orange, and we joke it is the Princeton color to wear in hunting season. More of a right of passage than hunting orange participates, but still.
Machias bank gives out orange hats here, and orange bandanas for ones dogs
Everyone does orange- in the woods, or around town

Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 PM

423 posts, read 453,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
ill be posting my land. last thing i need is a trespasser shooting at my kids while they play in the woods behind our house.
Three acres is hardly worth posting, but it is your prerogative. Kids and bullets are notorious for not paying attention to boundaries so I highly recommend you dress them in Orange during November.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:49 PM

1,313 posts, read 690,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
Deer hunting is quite a big deal in Texas as well, but we usually get permission, pay for a deer lease or own our own hunting grounds. We don't trespass on others property (this is a good way to get shot in Texas) and we dont gun down people in the woods because they aren't wearing orange. I would much rather be un-neighborly then to come home to a dead wife or child because they were foraging in the woods without orange on.
I'm going to step in here, let's say as a neutral party.

I remember an old adage about newcomers telling old timers how it's done "back where I come from" and if my memory serves me well, that is considered to never be a good idea. ;-)

Also, if I may, a very clear, simple and pro-active solution that the locals currently use and are therefore familiar with has been offered, more than once if I'm correct, by these helpful and generous folks.

My vote is for wearing orange, maybe even in my bed at night. (last part above just a light hearted joke, but it would be a good idea if you're still doing your business in the woods;-))

Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM

32,520 posts, read 52,967,416 times
I wear orange.

An adjacent property has a guy who trains beagles. When he lets his beagles loose they have no awareness of property lines. One time they ran through the woods and came up behind my house. So I fired a round just to let him know that he was aproaching my house, I understand that if you are running chasing after dogs in the woods you can easily lose your bearings.

'No hunting' signs are not 100%. Besides some of my land is river frontage and much of it is within the flood plain. No amount of posting can keep fowlers out. They have legal access to all land down in the flood plain of the river and it's streams.

Whenever I forget to wear orange, if any of my neighbors see me, they will remind me to wear orange. It is something neighbors do for one another.

With all of that said, I do have signs up asking hunters not to hunt without my permission. For a few years I was letting a couple old guys to trap on my land. It was a father/son team, the son had to be in his 60s and I thought it was a neat thing to see a father/son team of trappers like that. Later another neighbor told me that these guys own far more land than what I have and all of their land is posted. They do not let anyone on their land, yet they expect to hunt and trap on other people's land.

Wear orange, and be nice to your neighbors.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:31 PM

5,620 posts, read 3,305,450 times
I thought you couldn't shoot within a certain distance of any house in Maine. I realize if someone is shooting from far away, they could be well outside that range and still manage to hit someone, but if you are that close to a house, do people not realize that?

I can't imagine shooting a rifle anywhere I could even see a house. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't hunt in Maine and hunting around houses is SOP? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the laws, as you guys can tell.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,970,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I thought you couldn't shoot within a certain distance of any house in Maine. I realize if someone is shooting from far away, they could be well outside that range and still manage to hit someone, but if you are that close to a house, do people not realize that?
It's only 100 yards. As dense as our woods are, it's possible to be 100 feet from some houses (mine included) and not know. There are two houses on my road marked with small signs alerting hunters to the presence. I know they're there but I can't find them through the trees until the leaves drop.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I can't imagine shooting a rifle anywhere I could even see a house. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't hunt in Maine and hunting around houses is SOP? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the laws, as you guys can tell.
My house is 'forest green' and we have dense forest canopy up close to our house.

We have recently had a herd of pigs on-site so they have thinned out the underbrush a lot. But when we started living here the understory flora was very thick.

One slow summer day we had relatives visiting and my Dw's elderly aunt wanted to read a book. She took her book and she went 20 steps from our house, sat down to read her book. An hour later she became very distraught when she realized that she had no visible clue there was a house nearby.

There is a law that forbids hunting within 300 feet of the nearest house. But in many places you could hike through the woods and be within 100 feet of a house without seeing it.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:57 PM

5,620 posts, read 3,305,450 times
Wow! That's a lot of trees. But don't people want to clear the trees at least around their yards on account of Lyme? Our brush here is very thick and the first thing I'll have to do if I buy land is clear the property. And I plan on clearing the whole thing except for a stand of trees around the edges for privacy.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Wow! That's a lot of trees. But don't people want to clear the trees at least around their yards on account of Lyme? Our brush here is very thick and the first thing I'll have to do if I buy land is clear the property. And I plan on clearing the whole thing except for a stand of trees around the edges for privacy.
On occasion a 500 pound pig will die out in the woods, if I can get to the body in time, then I will haul it out to dispose of it. Sometimes I can not get to it quickly enough and its decay will make it too 'soft' for me to haul. That is the only time I mess with adding lyme.

I keep a big bag of lyme handy, just in case I or anyone else needs to dispose of a body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: