Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:28 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times

Advertisements

I don't want to open a can of worms, or start a big argument - but i'm wondering if there is a "law..."

I follow several Maine news pages on FB, and an article came up today about a woman being killed on her own property by a hunter, by accident.

I have a bad habit of reading comments - they **** me off so bad that i need to stop - but WTS, many people were co-blaming her, saying that you "HAVE" to wear orange on your property during hunting season. What does this mean? Do you have to post "No Hunting" signs everywhere, also? Or does that depend on the amount of land you have?

Someone said "I hope those rocks were worth it." I don't know if she was rock-climbing, gathering rocks...

Since i will be moving up there, i guess i'm wondering how much i have to worry about how i dress in my yard during hunting season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Maine has a good safety record regarding hunting. You are far safer in the woods than you are driving or as a pedestrian along the roads. That said, it is prudent to wear hunter orange during deer season. It is not required during moose season. A pedestrian being struck and killed by a driver gets little publicity in Maine newspapers. A person being accidentally killed by a hunter will receive years of publicity due simply to editorial policy. Both fatalities are tragic. Both could have been prevented by either party having better judgment.

Maine has about 35 traffic deaths per year. We have one hunting death every five years.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:03 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
When I owned a property out in the woods of western PA(40 acres), that was all wooded, I found a solution to people hunting on the property.

I found that hunters take a dim view of people hunting with big hand guns, and will leave any place where they hear it.

So I would take about 18 shells for my six shooter revolver S&W .357 mag. And I would walk around the property shooting a quick three shots here and there(into the ground, of course). It cleaned out the hunters fast. Rifle hunters generally consider anyone hunting with a handgun to be “crazy”.

Worked every time. I didn’t care if they hunted when I wasn’t there, only when I was. They were actually pretty protective of the house on the property.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 PM

I know that they don't happen often - i remember the story of the women out hanging clothes i believe, she may have been the last one before this.

It just got me thinking. I live on acreage in NJ, have woods behind me where they hunt and a field/woods beside me. We always put an orange vest on the dog if shes out running near those areas, but we never dress with it on.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I know that they don't happen often - i remember the story of the women out hanging clothes i believe, she may have been the last one before this.

It just got me thinking. I live on acreage in NJ, have woods behind me where they hunt and a field/woods beside me. We always put an orange vest on the dog if shes out running near those areas, but we never dress with it on.
Her name was Karen Wood. She was a young wife and mother to twin daughters. She was killed in 1988 when a hunter mistook her white mitten as a deer's tail. He swears he saw a deer but there was not evidence of deer in the area. There have been several incidences since then, some fatal, some not.

My husband was shot in a hunting incident (not accident). We wear orange. We do live in the woods so that's common sense. If we lived in town and hunting were allowed we'd wear orange. Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
I saw several horses wearing orange vests last week. ... better safe than sorry. Better safe than sorry applies to every person and pet in the woods during hunting season imo. I think you can get an orange hat for about a dollar at Walmart.... could save your life. We cut out holes so the dog could wear it like a sweater. Unless you are a dog, might want to wear it on your head. Go out in the woods in Acadia National Park where there will be no hunting. Wear orange just in case.

Additional information:
https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-t...ing-areas.html

https://www.nps.gov/acad/learn/news/...gclosure08.htm

Old 11-02-2017, 11:30 AM

221 posts, read 243,049 times
ill be posting my land. last thing i need is a trespasser shooting at my kids while they play in the woods behind our house.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
ill be posting my land. last thing i need is a trespasser shooting at my kids while they play in the woods behind our house.
Posting your land is not considered very neighborly. If you are going to post the land, be sure to use lots of signs on all sides and it still wouldn't hurt to have your kids wear orange when playing in the woods during hunting season. Better safe than sorry. Most hunters will respect your signs, but it would only take one person who doesn't see the signs. I don't think hunting on UNposted land is considered trespassing. btw, Anyone with half a brain, won't shoot toward your house. Nowadays, I'd be concerned about deer ticks or other kinds of ticks when it comes to kids playing in the woods. Deer hunting is a time-honored tradition in Maine; if you want to practice assimilation, don't post your land and stay out of the woods during hunting season. You might be wondering if I am a hunter. No.

Maybe someone will find this link helpful and/or informative. https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/hunting-t...and/index.html

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 11-02-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 12:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
All interesting information. Thanks. I was advised late last October by a friendly hunter not to enter Campobello Park without wearing orange. I'm still learning...

Old 11-02-2017, 12:53 PM

I'm still learning too.

I want to be a good neighbor, i want to live, but i also know want to know the rights of the landowners - and the hunters.

Thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: