Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:58 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times

Advertisements

I know I have to call the code enforcement/town office - but who can wait three days when i'm curious now!?

Does anyone know Lubec's rules, or Federal rules, about a "grandfathered" builiding (it's a type of old shed, kind of) near the water - and what you can or cannot do? Can you tear it down and put up a new shed in the same footprint? I'm going to make calls on Tues. but i'm just wondering.

It's with a house i'm interested in, and my Buyer's Agent said that Lubec does not have a lot of zoning laws, so it may be under Federal guidelines. I can give you the address if you want to look it up.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
I live in a grandfathered building that was built in 1909 in Bar harbor. Most of the front of the building is too close to the wetlands. To add anything there I would need a variance from the town, which is just plain unlikely, unless all it is is a bump out for the refrigerator, and not living space.

Often if its a freestanding structure you don’t live in, that could be taken down because its temporary, you can get away with it. So if you put up a posted deck for your wood, that might fit as a temp. Of if you used pvc pipe and vinyl sheeting, that would be really temporary, and again you could get away with it.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I know I have to call the code enforcement/town office - but who can wait three days when i'm curious now!?

Does anyone know Lubec's rules, or Federal rules, about a "grandfathered" builiding (it's a type of old shed, kind of) near the water - and what you can or cannot do? Can you tear it down and put up a new shed in the same footprint? I'm going to make calls on Tues. but i'm just wondering.

It's with a house i'm interested in, and my Buyer's Agent said that Lubec does not have a lot of zoning laws, so it may be under Federal guidelines. I can give you the address if you want to look it up.

Thanks.
My understanding is that it is the building that is grandfathered, not the land. If you remove that building, there is no longer any special exception applying to whatever you might seek to build next.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
It's just a shed. I wouldn't call anyone, I wouldn't ask anyone, odds are no one is going to say anything...asking may be asking for trouble. But then, I'm a "I'll do whatever the heck I want" kind of guy anyway, always have been, when it concerns *my* property. I don't ask for anyone's 'permission' and I'm willing (if not eager) to fight anyone who tries to tell me I "can't do that".

Old 12-31-2017, 04:36 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

Thanks.
If it is within 250' of the salt water, then it is within state shoreland zoning rules. You can always maintain your structure. What you can do to/with it, often depends on how well you get along with your neighbors.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM

133 posts, read 135,498 times
Not sure if this answers your question, but the Town of Lubec website code enforcement section has links to Maine Shoreland Zoning Handbook and Shoreland Zoning Guidelines: https://townoflubec.com/code-enforcement/. Hope it’s OK to post that link; I’m still fuzzy on what allowed and what’s not.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Happy New Year.

"I’m still fuzzy on what allowed and what’s not."

I have been here ten years. There is no way to predict what is allowed.

You should be able to maintain your existing building which would include jacking and leveling if necessary.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
What is it that makes it "grandfathered"? Too close to the water? Side property line? It makes a difference. Some towns allow "legally non-conforming" structures to be rebuilt on the same footprint if you get a building permit within 1 year of demo/destruction.

Jim (CEO) can be a bit crotchety sometimes but he will work with you mostly. Have you looked in their ordinance? Check here: https://townoflubec.com/code-enforcement/

Let us know how it works out.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Happy New Year.

"I’m still fuzzy on what allowed and what’s not."

I have been here ten years. There is no way to predict what is allowed.

You should be able to maintain your existing building which would include jacking and leveling if necessary.

When it comes to the local Boards, variances, or such, I'm reminded the old saying: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in small groups".

Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I think it's shoreland and too close to the water.

It's an old building, kind of sinking, and a bit falling-down.

I don't think fixing it up would be worth it... we would rather put one of those "Amish" shed-type buildings up - but i'm thinking it may not be allowed.

Will find out everything ahead of time for sure.

Our guess was that you could maybe fix the old building up and keep it right there if it was "grandfathered." It's on a main road so i'm afraid people would see whatever we were doing. It's on S. Lubec Rd.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine