Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

Chill factor is the rate that a surface will cool to ambient temperature, whether the surface can "feel" or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Chill factor is the rate that a surface will cool to ambient temperature, whether the surface can "feel" or not.
Fake news...chill factor is caused by heat being removed from an object by evaporation. Skin that is exposed to wind will have water moisture evaporate from it. The evaporation of moisture from our skin removes some heat as well. The higher the wind, the more evaporation, the more heat loss.
Now you can argue than a metal engine will not be affected by wind chill since there will be no water evaporation from it's surface and you will be correct. It is also correct that when the wind is blowing 20 miles an hour at zero degrees, a vehicle seems to start harder. That is because the zero degree air is circulated more efficiently to get the engine to zero degrees. Inanimate objects technically are not affected by wind chill. Exposed skin is, but it's because of evaporation and therefore a cooling of the skin.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM

342 posts, read 318,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Fake news...chill factor is caused by heat being removed from an object by evaporation. Skin that is exposed to wind will have water moisture evaporate from it. The evaporation of moisture from our skin removes some heat as well. The higher the wind, the more evaporation, the more heat loss.
Now you can argue than a metal engine will not be affected by wind chill since there will be no water evaporation from it's surface and you will be correct. It is also correct that when the wind is blowing 20 miles an hour at zero degrees, a vehicle seems to start harder. That is because the zero degree air is circulated more efficiently to get the engine to zero degrees. Inanimate objects technically are not affected by wind chill. Exposed skin is, but it's because of evaporation and therefore a cooling of the skin.

Good explanation. That’s why a thermometer doesn’t go up and down when the wind blows.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
I don't know what meteorologists define as "wind chill factor". But I do know that warmer objects will lose heat faster under windy conditions than in still air, as Northern Maine Land Man suggests, even if there is no evaporation. In still air, the layer of air adjacent to the warm object is warmed as heat is lost by it - that reduces the temperature differential at the interface, slowing heat loss. Under windy conditions, the warmed air is immediately swept away and replaced with cold air, giving maximal heat loss rates.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:53 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't know what meteorologists define as "wind chill factor". But I do know that warmer objects will lose heat faster under windy conditions than in still air, as Northern Maine Land Man suggests, even if there is no evaporation. In still air, the layer of air adjacent to the warm object is warmed as heat is lost by it - that reduces the temperature differential at the interface, slowing heat loss. Under windy conditions, the warmed air is immediately swept away and replaced with cold air, giving maximal heat loss rates.
This is true, to an extent, as those of us who ride motorcycles with air-cooled motors are well aware. However, for metal already at ambient temp there is no additional cooling due to wind.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
According to Wikipedia, wind chill index used by meteorologists in the US "is determined by iterating a model of skin temperature under various wind speeds and temperatures using standard engineering correlations of wind speed and heat transfer rate. Heat transfer was calculated for a bare face in wind, facing the wind, while walking into it at 1.4 metres per second (5.0 km/h)." See the entire article for details.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I flew helicopters in the Antarctic. We had no heat in those birds. We had no face masks back in 1964 so we made our own. People's faces and hands do not sweat in winter or cold conditions. I grew a beard back in 1964. I shaved it off before we got back up to the equator. The beard was very helpful in reducing chill factor. Out of self defense, I am growing a beard again for the first time since 1964. That wind is brutal when I'm on the Kubota. I don't have a cab, much less a heated cab. I got hand warmers for Christmas. My family reads both farmers almanacs. Both predicted both large storms we had recently. Both predicted a harder winter this year.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
-13 this weekend in St. Paul, MN. That's nothing.. wait til it's -25.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
We didn’t have wind chill, or heat index back in the day. Not sure how we made it.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM

217 posts, read 199,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
-13 this weekend in St. Paul, MN. That's nothing.. wait til it's -25.
It is COLD in Minnesota, that’s a fact! I’ve seen better than -24F at my house this winter, although it’s not nearly as common as many places in Minnesota. I guess my point is that we know what real cold is, we just don’t experience it near as often as you! Thankfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine