Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times

Advertisements

I regularly work with a contractor that specializes exclusively with the problems of wet basements. He has been in business for better than 20 years. He guarantees his work for life.
The system he most commonly uses is an interior design. They go through you basement floor and place perforated pipe along side your footings. Ground water travels through this to a catch basin and then pumped out of the house. If water is also coming in the foundation walls they use a special heavy mil water vapor is applied and tied into the perforated pipe. Cracks in the floor are treated with epoxies.
This type of system is generally less expensive and more effective than exterior systems. The exception to this is if the basement is already finished. Of course if your flooded basement is finished you are already going to need to cut out and replace drywall, insulation, flooring, etc so you can have the system installed while this is going on.
When the system is installed in an unfinished basement you can then finish with out fear of reoccurring water damage. The system has a battery back up that will keep most pumps operating for a day or two. Obviously with out the pump running flooding would still be an issue but the back up battery will keep you safe until you can get a generator hooked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM

142 posts, read 346,150 times
Default water in basement

This year the water is running up my gravity drain,along with coming through the walls. I put a pump in the gravity drain and it is taking most of the water out of the basement. We just plug it in a few times in the course of a day. I always get water in the basement but nothing like this year.
Good luck.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Sounds like the end of your pipe froze. Get a gallon of RV antifreeze and dump it in there. That should thaw the end of your pipe.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
nmlm, you are a wise Maine man, i will get line to buy your book on living in Maine woodland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Sounds like the end of your pipe froze. Get a gallon of RV antifreeze and dump it in there. That should thaw the end of your pipe.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
People tell me I should write a book. Some people wonder about it when I recommend they place their home or camp on a diagonal from the road. The home ends up being parallel with the terrain, gravity drains, the front is toward the best view, the driveway is more level and they get better sun in the winter. Many people think there is some law that says homes must be absolutely parallel with the road. Nope. Driveways don't have to be perpendicular with the road either. Go ahead and angle it in the direction where you enter and depart 90% of the time. It's OK.

BTW, RV antifreeze is non-toxic. You shouldn't drink it, but unlike automotive antifreeze it won't kill your septic system and it won't kill your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine