Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times

Advertisements

There have been several long threads about shopping around for a power supplier in Maine. This article seems to point in the direction that it might be a bad idea.

State confirms home power customers spent $77M they didn’t need to — Maine Focus — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
I'm glad I never got around to picking an alternative supplier, life got in my way. I do remember picking a long distance company when the Bell System broke up in 1983, that was different.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
I TRY TO BUY IT BY THE CASE..... But no one will sell it to me. I’d like to keep a few extra cases of electricity in the storage room for emergencies.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Electricity Maine was started in Auburn, Maine by Emile Clavet, a self-proclaimed "serial entrepreneur," and Kevin Dean, a Texan. The business model was innovative but ultimately flawed (could not be sustained), and Emile Clavet was savvy enough to aggressively recruit for customers to make it look viable before selling the company in 2016 to a Houston-based business. About the same time he bought his oceanfront home in Harpswell (2016 or 2017). Now he is on the advisory board for regulating marijuana businesses in Maine. Anywhere there's an opportunity to organize, schmooze, regulate, and profit, this guy seems to be there with a slick proposal but little substance.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Electricity Maine was started in Auburn, Maine by Emile Clavet, a self-proclaimed "serial entrepreneur," and Kevin Dean, a Texan. The business model was innovative but ultimately flawed (could not be sustained), and Emile Clavet was savvy enough to aggressively recruit for customers to make it look viable before selling the company in 2016 to a Houston-based business. About the same time he bought his oceanfront home in Harpswell (2016 or 2017). Now he is on the advisory board for regulating marijuana businesses in Maine. Anywhere there's an opportunity to organize, schmooze, regulate, and profit, this guy seems to be there with a slick proposal but little substance.

Give the guy credit -
Nothing was given to them
His father worked in a shoe mill. A good man

He started electricitymaine. And others started there own
Businesses of selling energy he had over 200 k.
Customers. And then he sold at a profit but he took the risk at the beginning

Old 02-22-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Give the guy credit -
Nothing was given to them
His father worked in a shoe mill. A good man

He started electricitymaine. And others started there own
Businesses of selling energy he had over 200 k.
Customers. And then he sold at a profit but he took the risk at the beginning
Honesty and integrity/ethics in business are rare qualities. A genuinely good person will be concerned when his or her business strategies create more problems for people and will work to correct the issues. And some only care about getting the biggest slice of the pie possible. This business concept stopped working as promised, they did not inform customers of the changing dynamics, and the customers are the ones who got the shortest end of the stick. They were trapped.

Having a humble background doesn't excuse that behavior; in fact, such a person should be more aware of having honest motives and dealing with customers with ethical business practices.

Last edited by Fern435; 02-22-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Ex-customers sue Electricity Maine.

More information and perspective into how Electricity Maine worked (read the comments section):

https://bangordailynews.com/2016/11/...ded-thousands/

Being a "serial" start-up entrepreneur can make a person millions when you have the song-and-dance and the jazz hands, secure the deals, then sell the business before it all goes downhill. Professor Harold Hill types ("The Music Man") have this strategy down to a science.

https://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/...ine-customers/

Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I shopped around a couple times for cheaper electricity producers. I think I may have posted about it in previous threads.

Eventually we setup solar power, which was our intention all along any way.

We still have access to grid power, if we wanted it for any reason. I have one outlet in our house that is grid power just so I can have a night light plugged in to tell me if the grid is 'up' today or 'down'. The grid went down yesterday for a few hours.

If you can have grid power available to your home for a 30-day continuous month, you are clearly not in this part of Maine.

Our first 12 years in Maine proved that to us, every month, over and over again. Every month has had power outages until we finally got solar power in our home. Some months we could go 3 weeks with grid power, before 'poof' we would go dark for a week.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I shopped around a couple times for cheaper electricity producers. I think I may have posted about it in previous threads.

Eventually we setup solar power, which was our intention all along any way.

We still have access to grid power, if we wanted it for any reason. I have one outlet in our house that is grid power just so I can have a night light plugged in to tell me if the grid is 'up' today or 'down'. The grid went down yesterday for a few hours.

If you can have grid power available to your home for a 30-day continuous month, you are clearly not in this part of Maine.

Our first 12 years in Maine proved that to us, every month, over and over again. Every month has had power outages until we finally got solar power in our home. Some months we could go 3 weeks with grid power, before 'poof' we would go dark for a week.
Hahahaha...not too far of the mark. Seems like if the wind blows more than a breeze the power goes out. Never have I lived anywhere else where it was so unreliable.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Hahahaha...not too far of the mark. Seems like if the wind blows more than a breeze the power goes out. Never have I lived anywhere else where it was so unreliable.
I get it. The power lines that goes through our town does not reach all homes. For some of the paved road there simply is no power line.

A power line in Maine could easily go through a dozen towns before it passes by your property. Many miles of power line surrounded by much taller trees. Every time the wind blows somewhere a tree falls down. One tree coming down can easily knock out the power to a dozen towns.

I understand why the power grid is so fragile in Maine.

Like you I have never lived anywhere before that had such an unreliable grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine