Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,446,851 times

Advertisements

RE viewing being 'essential' is helpful but as far as I can see, out-of-staters cannot come into Maine and then go about unless they self-quarantine for 14 days.... on the honor system. Is there some exception for motel stays without quarantine if one is viewing real estate? BTW, glad you have some sort of access, OP.

Kinda frustrating.. we are from a county in VA that does not have a problem..... over 900 square miles in our county and < 200 cases and 1 death. Of course this will all change before we get there anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 04:29 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,858,476 times
Here is the link to contact Janet Mills about any exceptions she may have to her quarantine rules. https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/contact

There are some hard hit areas (virus) between VA and Maine that you could be traveling through a by car etc. I read today that Massachusetts has had over 6000 deaths. Most likely you've heard about the cases in NYC, NJ, and CT as well as MD and DC. If you are serious about purchasing real estate anytime soon, why not procure lodging, quarantine 14 days and then go look at real estate. Otherwise, put your plans on hold.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:29 PM

No, I won't travel through the bad areas by car; we've been up I-84 through Hartford etc., in the past, and we actually avoided that in Feb when we went up to Maine to snowmobile. (I knew where all 14 cases in the US were before our last trip in Feb!) I've already scoped out the bad areas and planned a route up I-81 through VT and upper NH on US2 with stops in low incidence areas. (And we are NOT from northern VA near DC; we don't recognize them in our part of the state! So don't be scared LOL) The drive in 1 (very) long day is doable and we would take our own food. I wear gloves to pump gas and we are strict about all those safe practices; we already do all these things locally.

Hence the frustration... we are not 'socialites', stick to ourselves, minimize exposure, can avoid the bad areas, and don't live in a high incidence area. We are safer to Maine than some Mainers themselves. No one knows where they might get exposed.... it is all about limiting your exposure and being strict on yourself with cleaning.

And here is what is confusing. How/where does one get a place in Maine to self-quarantine for 14 days? If you are allowed to get a motel room, you are going to have to get food; you can't eat delivery pizza 3 meals a day! It really does not make any sense, unless the true intent of the self-quarantine is to limit one's self to only essential actions... like getting food. When you run through the details, it is pretty obvious that Gov Mills and company have not thought this out.

BTW, I'll beg the OP's pardon for side-tracking his thread.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:03 AM

891 posts, read 660,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post

And here is what is confusing. How/where does one get a place in Maine to self-quarantine for 14 days? If you are allowed to get a motel room, you are going to have to get food; you can't eat delivery pizza 3 meals a day! It really does not make any sense, unless the true intent of the self-quarantine is to limit one's self to only essential actions... like getting food. When you run through the details, it is pretty obvious that Gov Mills and company have not thought this out.

BTW, I'll beg the OP's pardon for side-tracking his thread.
This is the problem we are facing getting out to the property we have purchased. I thought you could not get lodging until you had quarantined. So how can you get lodging to quarantine in--and then there is the problem of not being allowed out to get food. According to the last press conference, you could not go to the grocery, hardware store, or get takeout.

So to me it looks like they have thought this out, and the intent is to keep people out of Maine, since it's impossible to quarantine without being able to get food, unless one is able to find some place with cooking facilities and can bring in all food?

Old 06-01-2020, 07:38 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,196,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
This is the problem we are facing getting out to the property we have purchased. I thought you could not get lodging until you had quarantined. So how can you get lodging to quarantine in--and then there is the problem of not being allowed out to get food. According to the last press conference, you could not go to the grocery, hardware store, or get takeout.

So to me it looks like they have thought this out, and the intent is to keep people out of Maine, since it's impossible to quarantine without being able to get food, unless one is able to find some place with cooking facilities and can bring in all food?
You do know that most are not enforcing this.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 AM

891 posts, read 660,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You do know that most are not enforcing this.
Yes, that is what I've heard. But I do try to respect the law, so I am trying to understand it.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Yes, that is what I've heard. But I do try to respect the law, so I am trying to understand it.
I could not say it better! Thank you. I was not really thinking that this is some sort of 'fake-out' BS but that may be..... Now if you rented a vacation cabin somewhere, or towed in a camper, and brought in 2 weeks of food, then it might come close to working, but it is still not workable.

I can understand the thoughts about outsiders from the NE corridor. Boston, NY and all points around have been a big breakout area. Folks living in the core of the big breakout area have been very frightened, and those around that region are frightened in turn. But that is changing. Wash DC, Chicago, and SoCal are the largest infection areas right now... and that is going to change and move around as time goes on.

We look to be, for the summer and into early fall, to be in a pattern of slow spread. Other big visitor areas are opening up; the Outer Banks of NC are now wide open to everyone after having been closed to even non-resident property owners for 6 weeks. Restaurants are limited but shops are opening on a limited capacity basis. Since almost all the lodging is rental homes, folks can keep to themselves to a good degree. The majority of renters there comes from the NE. We will see how that all works.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 PM

I like what you've said about travel routes, bringing food, gloves for pumping gas etc. It's clear you are taking precautions. Just an fyi... I don't hate VA. There is a relatively new doctor in Ellsworth from VA. We like him alot.

I think it is very doable. I think it is very workable. There are wonderful seafood restaurants (at least in Hancock County) offering curbside pick up... you don't have to eat pizza every day unless you want to. Maine has many yummy pizza (and other items such as hot and cold subs and salads) restaurants offering curbside pick up and some offer delivery. I am not under quarantine, but i have been buying curbside pick up to support several businesses. These are places I've been eating at for years. You can pay online with a credit card when you place your order which would be an excellent approach for someone under quarantine.

Rent a motel room that has a kitchen.. could be a studio type motel room if you want to use the term studio. Quarantine at the motel. You could bring two weeks' worth of food with you. Place an online pick up order at Walmart. Shaws offers free grocery delivery! Mix it up with restaurant curbside pickup or delivery. The expectation is for those quarantining to stay out of stores, stay out of restaurants, stay away from other people, etc. Open the link below and scroll way down to read specifics.

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...onavirus.shtml

Voila! Problem solved

PS Bring plenty of clothes--no going to a laundrymat during quarantine.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-01-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Update: looks like I had incorrect information in the previous post (sorry). That is if the information in this Bangor Daily News article is correct.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/05/...tine-answered/

Old 06-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Maineguuuurl, you have my permission to 'dislike' northern VA. It is another world up there anymore. We are contractors, and the few times we have done work in NoVA or DC, we add on what we call 'combat pay'. LOL

I think your 'expectations' list is what is reasonable and wise..... keep to one's self... which we typically do. We are not bar-hoppers. (And ESPECIALLY don't go to any retirement homes.) Actual individual behavior is what counts the most.

Here is what the website you linked sez:

"It is mandated that all out-of-state travelers coming into Maine, as well as Maine residents returning to Maine, complete a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This means:
  • You need to arrive with enough food for 14 days or arrange to have food delivered to you. You cannot go out to grocery stores.
  • Stay at home. You cannot go out to public places.
  • Avoid contact with others, especially those who are at high risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
There is no order to quarantine for people who make short trips back and forth across the border for work. Travel should be limited to essential trips."

No going to 'public places' seems to be the key wording. I guess we have to 'bend the words' a bit to do pickup as it does not explicitly say that is OK. Good note on the supply of clothes; the bathtub will be a multi-purpose item or we will sneak down to the Kennebec and find some rocks LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine