U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM

3,805 posts, read 1,555,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
I was slack jawed when the "stager" came with my new realtor and began by suggesting.......actually insisting upon the radical changes to our decore. I resisted to every cell in my body but, after she left and my wife and I have a chance to recover, we decided that this realtor had an excellent track record and that we had to put faith into someone who has a vested interest in selling our home. If we ignored the suggestions we'd be left repeating what we had already done and that didn't work out well. We decided that we would simply bite the bullet and spend the time and money to get to where we thought she would be happy. She didn't expect we would follow her info 100% and she did give us some latitude in that regard. But.....that's all behind us. We've begun to button up the remaining items and we are both looking forward to the conclusion of this long journey. Neither of had an inkling about what has happened so far. It has been a huge learning experience and I know that many many other baby-boomers are experiencing a similar situation. Who knew??
Good luck, man. I agree with your assessment that if you've been trying for awhile but the house hasn't been moving, you need to change something. Hope it sells soon for a price you're happy with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 AM

283 posts, read 270,289 times
An analogy but true story: I was visiting the Vermont building at the Big E as a kid with my parents. I was holding a dowel with a bit of string and a hook with some type of bait on it trying to "catch" one of the trout swimming in the pool. I wasn't having any luck and neither were my fellow fisherkids. Then, an "old timer" (probably 10 years younger than I am now lol) tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I'd like to catch one. I said yes and he took my pole, lifted out of the water and when the bait and hook fell to the floor, he stepped on it squishing it so it didn't resemble the original look. He handed it back to me and said go fishing. It didn't hit the water before I had a hit and caught my limit. He looked at me and said, "If you want to catch fish during your life, change your bait from everyone else's.". I remember that to this day. So, if our original attempt didn't work we have to make a change or we're wasting our time. We'll see!

Old 04-06-2019, 05:35 AM

890 posts, read 397,545 times
Quote:
Quick update, we've hired a new Realtor who says we'll be selling by the end of February. We can only hope.

Happy New Year to all you Mainers!

Rome

Well? And where in CT are/were you selling?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,725,007 times
Would love an update on your journey to Maine. Has the house sold? Did you find your perfect home in Maine?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 AM

283 posts, read 270,289 times
We're still selling. It's a slow market here in Hartford County

My wife's Mom has begun to fail at age 89. She only lives 2 miles from us so we're going to probably move in with her to help her manage. My wife is the executrix as it is. Once we sell we'll be up in the Wiscasset area and East of there poking around. I've got a realtor sending me what's available but we'll need to go up and see things first hand, of course. We'd really be thrilled to be in before the snow flies, that's for sure. Keep your fingers crossed for us. There has been some interest in our place, finally! We'd love to see a family move here who needs the space and the spacious back yard.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-19-2019 at 05:41 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM

8,001 posts, read 13,992,415 times
Quote:

My wife's Mom has begun to fail at age 89. She only lives 2 miles from us so we're going to probably move in with her to help her manage. My wife is the executrix as it is. Once we sell we'll be up in the Wiscasset area and East of there poking around. I've got a realtor sending me what's available but we'll need to go up and see things first hand, of course. We'd really be thrilled to be in before the snow flies, that's for sure. Keep your fingers crossed for us. There has been some interest in our place, finally! We'd love to see a family move here who needs the space and the spacious back yard.
Cuffler, I LOVE your house -- the molding, the pocket doors, the front porch, your beautiful foyer, well, just about everything! I would want a bigger lot, but that's just me -- half an acre is larger than most city/suburban lots, so I expect most people would find it big. (And your back yard looks like mine, just a bit smaller!)

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, but I wish you the best in selling the house and moving to Maine. I am following this thread with great interest.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-19-2019 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 03:48 PM

19,192 posts, read 25,286,448 times
Quote:

you could have a "brokers open house" invite all the area brokers feed them something good..

also you can offer a "buyers agent bonus" throw a dollar amount for the bonus.... might stimulate some activity ….

Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,555,419 times
Quote:

It's a stately and beautiful house and seems quite a bargain at $250K - can't believe it hasn't sold yet, but I hope the buyers who will appreciate it will find it soon.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 AM

890 posts, read 397,545 times
So you are going to go from one house that you can't sell to two houses? ..... I think you have the same problem as a lot of CT residents, you want to move but can't because you can't sell your house. More people leaving CT than moving here. Well hopefully with the warm weather the market improves.

We went to Wiscasset a couple of years ago to get the famous lobster roll there. While there, there was an accident on the bridge and we were parked on the wrong side of the road and couldn't leave for a couple of hours! Traffic was backed up for miles.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:30 AM

8,001 posts, read 13,992,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
So you are going to go from one house that you can't sell to two houses? ..... I think you have the same problem as a lot of CT residents, you want to move but can't because you can't sell your house. More people leaving CT than moving here. Well hopefully with the warm weather the market improves. ...
I guess you missed the OP's post, the one that's 4 posts above yours ...

Quote:

My wife's Mom has begun to fail at age 89. She only lives 2 miles from us so we're going to probably move in with her to help her manage. My wife is the executrix as it is. ONCE WE SELL we'll be up in the Wiscasset area and East of there poking around. I've got a realtor sending me what's available but we'll need to go up and see things first hand, of course. We'd really be thrilled to be in before the snow flies, that's for sure. Keep your fingers crossed for us. There has been some interest in our place, finally! We'd love to see a family move here who needs the space and the spacious back yard.
I've loved reading this thread since Maine is likely where I will go if I decide not to stay in New Hampshire after retirement (mostly due to insane property taxes, which are fine while I'm working but probably not so when I'm not!). Cuffler, please come back and update us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or