Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 AM

337 posts, read 429,837 times

Advertisements

As Home Depots go, Rockland is easy to deal with and much more friendly than the ones I've dealt with over the years back in Connecticut and Mass. That may be because they aren't as busy as the others I use but it's probably some of that in addition to the way the management handles its employees. Each of the employees I've had dealings with have been down-right genuinely friendly. I had to go back a couple of days after buying the generator and they called me by my name! The same thing happened at the DMV! I know that the population density of this state is pretty low but, my gosh, for someone to remember my first name after 24 hours is pretty amazing.

Quick update: This morning (Friday) I woke to read my weather station's report on the outside temperature at 28 degrees! Wow. That was quick. This would be a great test of our radiant heated floors. Well, they passed! I'm toasty warm in my shirtsleeves in the garage of all places! I can't get over it to be honest. I suspect that I'll use a lot more propane than the previous owner. Once the floors get warm however, the amount of propane to keep them stable at temp will go down. We're still experimenting with where the thermostat should be set but boy, it was comfortable this morning!

Well, off to the Farmer's Market in Belfast. We're going to check it out for the first time. My brother and his wife will be coming up for the weekend and they've never been up here before. We're going to show them a great time and are proud of what Belfast has done to make themselves quite an attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 AM

Quick note: I highly reccomend the Belfast Friday Farmer's Market. We ended up buying one of just about everything and 36 oysters and a gorgeous piece of swordfish for dinner. IT was a small market to be sure but they had great veggies (we bought corn and tomatoes, tomatoes for BLTs for lunch on Saturday) a large loaf of Sourdough, and to top it off a meat pie for a warm snack. The seafood is from Pemaquid Seafood. They only sell through markets like this and don't have a storefront.

We'll be loyal visitors especially when they go inside the building!

One observation I'd like to make. As far as I can determine, there isn't ONE SINGLE FISH STORE in the surrouding area. Hannafords is the only place to buy fish and I'd really prefer to buy local especially since I can actually see the ocean it comes from. This is a terrible oversight! Someone out there looking for a niche business that will really catch on pay attention! Rent/buy a small business, make agreements with the local fishermen, and become a Fish Monger! I'll be your first customer.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:14 AM

900 posts, read 685,224 times
Jess's Market in Rockland?
https://www.facebook.com/jessmarketmaine/

Graffam Bros in Rockport?

https://www.graffambroslobster.com/market/

Too far?

Old 10-15-2020, 12:49 PM

Phoebesmom, thanks for those links. I actually drove to Jesse's place from Searsmont (our town) and checked them out. They are curb side business only. I also checked the other place. Both are good looking fishmongers. Just wish they were a little closer but I'm learning quickly that 40 minutes isn't all that far!

Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM

Yes, we live in rural Northern Michigan and you have to go a ways to get to anything. I'm surprised Belfast does not have a shop. I remember when we first visited your new town, we read that many lobstermen from Belfast lived there, but I know that's only about 20 minutes.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:00 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Each of the employees I've had dealings with have been down-right genuinely friendly. I had to go back a couple of days after buying the generator and they called me by my name! The same thing happened at the DMV! I know that the population density of this state is pretty low but, my gosh, for someone to remember my first name after 24 hours is pretty amazing.
Same thing happened to me at the library. I went to register for a library card, borrowed a few items, and when I returned them a week later - everyone greeted me by name! Then they had an outdoor books and baked goods sale a few weeks later and the staff all called out hello to me - by name - as I walked across the lawn to get there! It was a little overwhelming. I never even have to show them my library card - I walk in the door and by the time I take the five steps to the desk, they've got my account up on the computer. Amazing!

Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM

I was sworn in as part of the town elector team for November 3rd. I'll be monitoring the two machines that will accept the ballots. I'm honored to have been asked and will do my best to help out.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:33 AM

Hi all. Just a quick update on our progress settling in.

As I'm typing our kitchen cabinets are being measured for new countertops. The old one was pretty worn.

We have been very happy moving into our new lives so far. The house has kept really comfortable with it's super insulation and radiant floors. My cars have never been so happy! We are about 60% of the way through all of our packed boxes and some of the storage shelves have been vacated so we can store current items permanently. I even have a work area developing nicely. Our Generac generator is still on its pallet but it will be moved into its permanent home early next week and the gas company has agreed to set up their end of the deal on the 30th. The electrical connectitions to be done within a few days after that.

The lobster consumption number is at 32 since May 31st. Not bad. I'm trying to do my part for the lobster fishing community! This morning, however, we bought four really nice swordfish steaks from a fishmonger at the local Belfast Friday outdoor farmer's market. Bought 18 monster oysters, too. My son, daughter in law and gorgeous 5 year old grand daughter are headed up for the long weekend. My son is coming to help me out with a few small projects that take 4 hands.

We've found a plow guy, thank goodness. Now we're looking to find one of those small dumpsters we can rent for a few months as we go through these projects. Our transfer station won't take anything that's not in a local trash bag (purchased) or contractor's bag (at $6 each). So, pieces of old countertop, an old dishwasher, misc odds and ends that won't fit in a bag have been accumulating. Now I know why I've seen so many nice homes with their own little dump site. They're waiting, like me, for the Spring large trash pickup (or fall). There is a company that leases small red dumpsters, however, that will let you get rid of all that bulky waste for reasonable cost. THey'll park a small 5 or 10 yard dumpster on your property and pick it up when it's full. That would be great for us as we go through these projects.

I thought that when the leaves fell off the trees that the landscape would be stark and ugly. I was so wrong. There is a real serious beauty of those millions of trees of so many varieties standing sentinal, waiting for the early spring warmth to pop new leaves for the coming spring and summer. They are so amazingly diverse; some like the Birch with their post-it note size pieces of bark peeling back and waving in the wind to the silver Maple, the rugged Hemlock, and then there's the intersperced evergreens of about three or four varieties. I sit in my living room, open the two glass french doors, and let the forest in my back yard come into my living room like a 3d poster if only for a few minutes, depending on the temperature. Right now it's 40 degrees at noon having warmed up nicely last night.

We had our first outdoor fire, too. Is there nothing more satisfying and lucious as the smell of a maple campfire?

Old 11-20-2020, 12:35 PM

Yes, an applewood fire!

Glad to hear you are in such a beautiful spot, and so happy. Glad your family is coming up for a visit, and glad you found such a fishmonger--how wonderful!!

Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
I have the acreage and hopefully build something tiny in the next few years - but a campfire is my happy place. If I could only learn to properly build one.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine