Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times

Advertisements

I dont know what house you are looking at, but the OPs house has 2 full baths, one on the second floor, and one off the master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Yep, two full bathrooms with flushers, too! LOL

Well, here it is mid July and still no offers. We can't seem to generate any visitors in any of our attempts at open houses, either. It would appear, from our research, that smaller homes are selling but none of the older homes are, regardless of condition. Mine is turn-key condition, ready to go. There will always be maintenance on any home, of course, but nothing out of the ordinary. To say we are frustrated is an understatement. Our current realtor's contract is up in early September. We're holding out hope that the house will sell before then but have to make contingencies in the meantime. We also have dropped the price one more time to our bottom line: $225,000. You can't find anything comparable for that cost for the square feet being offered, especially a huge master suite with an ensuite attached. It is really mind boggling.

Mom is now also requiring 24/7 help so right now we're all taking shifts when we can but we are also making arrangements for professional help. There's enough money for a solid year of full week help as long as we all fill in the gaps from time to time. It'll be a lot of work but Mom's comfort is most important. I'm at her kitchen table as I type this and will be here for the day with a break later this afternoon when her regular assistant will be here for a few hours. At least she's not having to be in a nursing home!

We have made our plans for 10 days in September for either Seawall or Schoodic Point this year hoping to also be looking at properties in addition to just enjoying Maine in September.....your best month, I'm convinced. Hold out some hope that we meet a nice family who needs the space between now and then! More to come.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Yep, two full bathrooms with flushers, too! LOL

Well, here it is mid July and still no offers. We can't seem to generate any visitors in any of our attempts at open houses, either. It would appear, from our research, that smaller homes are selling but none of the older homes are, regardless of condition. Mine is turn-key condition, ready to go. There will always be maintenance on any home, of course, but nothing out of the ordinary. To say we are frustrated is an understatement. Our current realtor's contract is up in early September. We're holding out hope that the house will sell before then but have to make contingencies in the meantime. We also have dropped the price one more time to our bottom line: $225,000. You can't find anything comparable for that cost for the square feet being offered, especially a huge master suite with an ensuite attached. It is really mind boggling.

Mom is now also requiring 24/7 help so right now we're all taking shifts when we can but we are also making arrangements for professional help. There's enough money for a solid year of full week help as long as we all fill in the gaps from time to time. It'll be a lot of work but Mom's comfort is most important. I'm at her kitchen table as I type this and will be here for the day with a break later this afternoon when her regular assistant will be here for a few hours. At least she's not having to be in a nursing home!

We have made our plans for 10 days in September for either Seawall or Schoodic Point this year hoping to also be looking at properties in addition to just enjoying Maine in September.....your best month, I'm convinced. Hold out some hope that we meet a nice family who needs the space between now and then! More to come.
Good luck. I know all too well the work it takes to care for a parent. You should commended, many children take the easy way out and put them in assisted living. Sometimes it's a necessity but you're doing the right thing. Ah, what a reward you'll have to visit in September! I hope something good happens soon..

Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Clearly you are not using the statue of the Baby Jesus in St Joseph’s arms buried upside down in the front yard with the prayer. It's a Catholic ritual that works for anybody if you are serious with the prayer.

My house had no lookers until I started the ritual, and it sold in a month after I started doing it twice a day. Its crazy and weird, but it worked very quickly. You have to use the right prayer, which is a whole page long and very heavy duty. Only at the very end do you even mention your house.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Well, I was raised Catholic and actually spent 3 years in the seminary for that matter. Since we've decided to leave no stone unturned, we will most definitely do just that. No kidding, either. My realtor is out of suggestions and our house is priced right. We're missing something and it might just be the Baby Jesus in St. Joseph's arms. I'll hunt one down today.

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Enfield/44.../home/53806530 for anyone who might be interested to see what a home in a Connecticut village from 1888 is like. Fingers crossed. I've got the shovel waiting at the back porch.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Well, I was raised Catholic and actually spent 3 years in the seminary for that matter. Since we've decided to leave no stone unturned, we will most definitely do just that. No kidding, either. My realtor is out of suggestions and our house is priced right. We're missing something and it might just be the Baby Jesus in St. Joseph's arms. I'll hunt one down today.

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Enfield/44.../home/53806530 for anyone who might be interested to see what a home in a Connecticut village from 1888 is like. Fingers crossed. I've got the shovel waiting at the back porch.
Whoa wait a second. Why aren't people in line to buy this beauty? This is right up my alley. Nice enough to be a B&B. The price is insanley low... though I thought all CT homes were hundreds and hundreds of thousands $$$ ie expensive...? Anyway it would sell in a day or two here where I am.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM

How can real estate agents be so clueless? Or are they just crooks? They tell you have to renovate, tell you it should sell in about 30 days, and here you sit. Agents know what people are looking for, what they will pay. Its their job. Its what you pay them commissions for.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How can real estate agents be so clueless? Or are they just crooks? They tell you have to renovate, tell you it should sell in about 30 days, and here you sit. Agents know what people are looking for, what they will pay. Its their job. Its what you pay them commissions for.
It is a profession like any other, some are good and some are otherwise.

When I was making trips to Maine to shop for land, I met one realtor who listed properties without ever stepping foot on the property herself [other than to hang the 'For sale' sign and take photos of the house].

There are other realtors who are really good.

I bought land that was 'For Sale By Owner', so even though there was no commission going to a realtor. One realtor [ Northern Maine Land Man ] //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...an-156658.html became my friend, when I needed a trench dug to run power and phone lines from the pole to my house. He showed up here with a backhoe and he offered to dig the trench for me.

That was real nice

Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 AM

It seems at this stage the only thing that will move it is price. You may need to get below the 200K price point, tho I know you said $225k was your bottom. Its been on the market over a year, your showings are drying up, and you want to move! There is something about it that is a serious deal breaker for buyers; I dont know if its the one car garage, the wall paper....I know you say how big and nice the master is, and it is, but its also on the 3rd floor. You once said in a previous post that it was something like 72 steps from the kitchen to the master. Its definitely got an old fashioned layout (reminds me of when I was a kid playing in my grandparents house). What has your agent said? Surely they are getting feedback on what is keeping people from even looking at it.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if getting no buyer interest....

I would double check the buyers broker commission split %

if I list your place as a broker... say the commission is 6%
well, then I have to list on the mls what the buyers broker split % is...
some companies go 50/50 split 3 % each side....but some brokers/brokerage companies...don't and they will go 4% listing and 2% on the buyers broker commission or..... 5% and 1%

say im a buyers broker..... and 80% of most houses sold are by buyers brokers bringing a qualified buyer..
so im a buyers broker and have a qualified buyer in your price range...….so im looking at properties for my buyers...… I look at 10 properties they may like but only have time to show them 5 properties (on their clock) so do I take them to commission splits that are 3% or 1%
yes human nature is to show them properties I can make a fair amount too...and not
1% that 1% I have to split half with the brokerage company ..

so yes if no activity ask your listing broker what the buyers broker commission split is...…..is it fair???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine