Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You keep the kids in a pen??? That's cruel!
Last years kids are outside, they live in the forest. I built for them sheds out there.

We are expecting new kids to start arriving in another week. 34 nannys most of them kidded triplets last year, so we are prepping for a whole big bunch of kids this coming April.

The nannys are all purebred Alpine milkers at a Maine artisan cheesemaker's facility.

So we have been making pens for them. Getting ready bottles and lots of nipples.

Four feedings a day, should keep us busy for a few weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Shovel snow, read, chase my daughter's bball team, catch up with friends, write, shovel snow, order seeds for the garden, shovel snow, work at my winter job, shovel snow. We ice fish occasionally, cross country ski occasionally and snowshoe often. Starwalker, I wish we'd thought of it. We have four pairs of snowshoes and trails.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 PM

36 posts, read 71,428 times
Wow!
It sounds like fun to me!

What is the temperature range today(since you're all in different places)?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisiveinaz View Post
Wow!

43* / 21* today

Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Last years kids are outside, they live in the forest. I built for them sheds out there.

We are expecting new kids to start arriving in another week. 34 nannys most of them kidded triplets last year, so we are prepping for a whole big bunch of kids this coming April.

The nannys are all purebred Alpine milkers at a Maine artisan cheesemaker's facility.

So we have been making pens for them. Getting ready bottles and lots of nipples.

Sounds like fun!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Wow!

Low this morning was 32 high was 57 (Freeport)

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Wow! you will be busy! I thought we had our hands full with 19 pregnant ewes.

Our sheep throw doubles at best. Thus far we have 11 ram lambs and 8 ewe
lambs. We are having lambs daily now and just had 2 ram lambs a couple of hours ago.

Lambs that don't take to their mom's or vice verse are called "bummers" (at least in these parts) Bummers or orphans are the only lambs we would ever bottle feed. So far we have no bummers.

We have been working on our "creep", which is a pen that only the new lambs can get into. This allows the lambs to have a place to get away from the flock to rest and eat with out competing with the adult sheep.

The mother sheep and her lambs spend only a day or two in a small lambing pen by themselves before they are introduced and turned out to be with the rest of the flock.

Hopefully we are done shoveling snow but...... I wouldn't count on it.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Wow! you will be busy! I thought we had our hands full with 19 pregnant ewes.

Our sheep throw doubles at best. Thus far we have 11 ram lambs and 8 ewe
lambs. We are having lambs daily now and just had 2 ram lambs a couple of hours ago.

Lambs that don't take to their mom's or vice verse are called "bummers" (at least in these parts) Bummers or orphans are the only lambs we would ever bottle feed. So far we have no bummers.

We have been working on our "creep", which is a pen that only the new lambs can get into. This allows the lambs to have a place to get away from the flock to rest and eat with out competing with the adult sheep.

The mother sheep and her lambs spend only a day or two in a small lambing pen by themselves before they are introduced and turned out to be with the rest of the flock.

Hopefully we are done shoveling snow but...... I wouldn't count on it.
You have a lot there too.

This dairy does not want to keep any of their daughters this year. And they want to use every gallon of milk as possible for cheese [their primary business]. So our deal is to take everything and not be picky about male/female.

So far, yesterday I have already sold eight doelings.

We only want ten doelings and two bucklings for ourselves, the rest will be sold or will go into the freezer in the fall.

Last year I bought a lot of kids at the annual lamb/kid auction in Corinth. But it was the last week of March, and we had snow up through the end of April last year. In fact last year the deepest snow dump was in April, so between whatever bugs they got from the auction yard and then the cold weather, we lost most of those kids.

This year they will never see an auction yard, and they are going into our house. So we hope to do much better.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Oh yeah drink too! (in moderation of course)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
I've read a lot about cabin fever. What do you do to keep active and sane in the winter months?
Probably the same thing we do to keep active and sane in AZ during the summer months!! Read, watch movies, exercise, travel, clean house.....

Honestly, it is the same thing, but in reverse seasons!

At least here in AZ we have the thrill of monsoon season to look forward to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine