Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,917,324 times

Advertisements

Oh, now come on. Let's get real!

I have NO problem with smoking at all. If someone want's to smoke they should be allowed to do so, and do it anywhere they want to do it. If they want to kill themselves by smoking, then let them do it.

As I said, I have NO problem with ANYONE smoking any where they want to.

It is the EXHALING that I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM

6,614 posts, read 13,457,325 times
I completely understand what you're saying, Maineah, but I'm still stuck between rights. Rights of irresponsible adults or rights of children who have no choice? I don't want anyone telling me what to do but I can't turn my back on kids as say "it's ok if they parents hurt them as long as they don't lose their rights." I don't think there's a good answer. As I said earlier, it's unfortunate that this is an issue.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I completely understand what you're saying, Maineah, but I'm still stuck between rights. Rights of irresponsible adults or rights of children who have no choice? I don't want anyone telling me what to do but I can't turn my back on kids as say "it's ok if they parents hurt them as long as they don't lose their rights." I don't think there's a good answer. As I said earlier, it's unfortunate that this is an issue.
I agree with you 100 percent! I would not treat my kids this way ,you wouldn't, and 99% of the people I associate with wouldn't. Unfortunately the under educated, lower intellect people still make babies and raise them the way they were raised. You've no doubt cringed at seeing some slob slap their kid on the butt or across the face in a grocery store or witnessed a parent whack a kid at a stop light. I know I have. You can feel bad for the kids and it's only natural to but you have NO RIGHT to take that child unless there is evidence of serious neglect or abuse. If they're willing to treat kids like that in public then in private there could be some real problems. You can't post cops at the homes of all potentially bad parents incase they decide to beat their kids or smoke around them. I agree that some people shouldn't be raising kids but it is not our place to say who can and cannot raise kids in an envrionment that we may not like! What's the difference between smoking around a kid in a car and smoking around a kid in the livingroom of a trailer? There may be more room,( a little anyway) in the trailer but there's probably several more smokers in the room as well. A friend of my son's parents (and older children) lived in a small house where everyone in the place was a chain smoker. It was the most disgusting place I have ever set foot in. The people are nice people though and it was not the kids fault the parents smoked like chimneys. I hated for my son to spend the night over there and we usually only let him when they were going to tent out in the yard. We tried to get the kids to stay here as much as possible but they had a "cooler" place than we did with a swimming pool and horses so it was hard to get them to stay here. I wasn't going to make my kid stay away from a friend because his parents were smokers. Now that the kids are seventeen my son hates smoking and my son's friend smokes....and his parents allow him to in the house! People are going to to what they do regardless of the feel good laws the elite pass on them.

Last edited by Maineah; 03-27-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 03-28-2008, 03:26 AM

474 posts, read 1,411,554 times
Well, being a past smoker I have NO compassion for anyone who smokes in front of ANY of their non-smoking family friends OR friends. I don't care if the family members is a 3 year old Grandson OR an 80 year old Mother. Respect is respect and should be shown to all. I don't need some bereaucrat telling me what I should and should ot be doing!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 AM

455 posts, read 1,223,630 times
I agree that the government should not be the ones to be telling us what to do in our own homes. The seat belt law was not ever supposed to lead to being stopped and ticketed for not having it on. I have a cousin that died because he WAS wearing a seat belt and as a Nurse saw MANY severe injuries due to a seat belt. I KNOW they save lives and they are a good thing...but I do believe it should be left up to the person driving to decide if they want to wear it or not. Same with smoking. Just one more way for the government to tell us what do do or not do and that never leads to a good type of government. What will they tell us next?

I think, instead of raising taxes on them or making cigerettes so expensive, they should help everyone to quit. REALLY HELP..not just spend the money advertising they will.

SMOKING IS NOT JUST A HABIT....IT IS AN ADDICTION THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT TO OVERCOME.

Last edited by Abbymoulton; 03-28-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Well, being a past smoker I have NO compassion for anyone who smokes in front of ANY of their non-smoking family friends OR friends. I don't care if the family members is a 3 year old Grandson OR an 80 year old Mother. Respect is respect and should be shown to all. I don't need some bereaucrat telling me what I should and should ot be doing!
When you smoked were you considerate of others all the time?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
I'm a smoker, off and on for most of my life. I do not smoke around those that don't, even in my own home. Most people that know me don't realize I smoke. I don't spout my opinion of alcohol at those that choose to partake. Or rag on those that enjoy eating out, though I mostly find that a waste. I don't criticise those that enjoy make-up, jewelry or other pretty things. Neither do I have a habit of ramming my strong opinions down others throats. Smoking is not illegal, I'm tired of the "holier than thou" attitude of some. I will not smoke around you. I'm sure that there are no bad habits you carry that may offend anyone else, eh?
BTW, I'm currently in a "non smoking" phase. This is a general observation and not directed at any one in particular.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'm a smoker, off and on for most of my life. I do not smoke around those that don't, even in my own home. Most people that know me don't realize I smoke. I don't spout my opinion of alcohol at those that choose to partake. Or rag on those that enjoy eating out, though I mostly find that a waste. I don't criticise those that enjoy make-up, jewelry or other pretty things. Neither do I have a habit of ramming my strong opinions down others throats. Smoking is not illegal, I'm tired of the "holier than thou" attitude of some. I will not smoke around you. I'm sure that there are no bad habits you carry that may offend anyone else, eh?
BTW, I'm currently in a "non smoking" phase. This is a general observation and not directed at any one in particular.
Pretty strong statements MSINA maybe you need a cigarrette to calm down!(just kidding).
You are a true Mainer! Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone! That's The WAY LIFE SHOULD BE to steal a catch phrase. BTW If we could cook as well as you can we wouldn't HAVE to eat out!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Pretty strong statements MSINA maybe you need a cigarrette to calm down!(just kidding).
You are a true Mainer! Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone! That's The WAY LIFE SHOULD BE to steal a catch phrase. BTW If we could cook as well as you can we wouldn't HAVE to eat out!
indeed... she must be feeling her oats again, having put the "creeping crud" on the run!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
indeed... she must be feeling her oats again, having put the "creeping crud" on the run!
LOL!! Still a bit cranky with this stuff but, I stand behind my statements. I try to be diplomatic but sheesh!! It's like an all out attack. When we were kids there were ashtrays IN stores and people smoked IN hospitals. It's politically correct to bash smokers now, I guess I could cry about it being an addiction and discrimination and all that crap. Maybe methadone and rehab for cigarettes?

Last edited by msina; 03-28-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine