Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Assuming that our nation's demand for energy is rising.

Who is building new power plants to provide more energy?

Who is building more petroleum refineries to retort incoming petroleum into the various grades of stuff that we 'need'?

If demand is going up, don't we need to mechanise the methods to allowed more to come to us?
Logic and common sense do not need apply to the evening news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Collins, is a bigger hack than Allen is, and is no friend to the state. On the matter of the government doing something about the oil prices, I think they have been for years. Isn't that why our fuel prices were so much lower than the rest of the worlds? Now that demand is far outstripping supply we are beginning to see what the rest of the world has been paying for the last few decades. More government intervention is just going to cost more someplace else (think of the number 1040 every April). I wish I had the answer for lowering costs, other than the obvious cut back on usage. Plus kick the tree-huggers away from areas that need to be drilled and lets get our own oil production back from the grave and working for the US.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 83,122 times
Quote:
Assuming that our nation's demand for energy is rising.

Who is building new power plants to provide more energy?

Who is building more petroleum refineries to retort incoming petroleum into the various grades of stuff that we 'need'?

If demand is going up, don't we need to mechanise the methods to allowed more to come to us?

Partly some of this new refinerie capacity will be comming from your friends to the north

"
The Irving refinery in Saint John is Canada's largest, producing over 300,000 barrels of quality finished energy products per day. From that daily production, we export approximately 175,000 barrels of petroleum products to the US Northeast, including 100,000 barrels of reformulated gasoline (RFG)—that's about 42% of all Canadian petroleum exports and about 45.5% of US RFG imports."

They are right now in the process of doubling that capacity in the near future- so this will help a little bit in this part of the world.

For Energy, its hard to tell exaclly how much (goverment run Power company, NBpower is not very transperant) but we do export a portion of our electricity to New England... We are also expanding our electricity capacity in the forum of a (potential) new nuclear reactor.. to put that in perspective currently 25% of our electricity in the province is nuclear.. if they do build the second reactor I believe it will have a higher capacity then the current reactor so over 50% will be nuclear in the province. Also the LNG terminal in Saint john will most likely be place a large portion of its product in New England as well

But really, in the end all the above is diddly squat compared to what you guys use, especially in larger cities of New England like Boston. All I see, on both sides of the boarder is prices going up and up and up and companies like Irving clearing more and more every year. Our energy polices on this side of the boarder are no better if you get right down to it... we happen to have a much smaller population combined with a sizable natural resource reserve.. we probably waste more per capita then anyone in the world.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada_Dave View Post
Partly some of this new refinerie capacity will be comming from your friends to the north
It is so nice to have friends.

More so when it is an issue that we could have fixed ourselves, but have been too stupid

Quote:
... They are right now in the process of doubling that capacity in the near future- so this will help a little bit in this part of the world.
Good

Quote:
... We are also expanding our electricity capacity in the forum of a (potential) new nuclear reactor..
Excellent, we do need more of those.

I have a number of friends who are Reactor Operators.

Quote:
... But really, in the end all the above is diddly squat compared to what you guys use, especially in larger cities of New England like Boston. All I see, on both sides of the boarder is prices going up and up and up and companies like Irving clearing more and more every year. Our energy polices on this side of the boarder are no better if you get right down to it... we happen to have a much smaller population combined with a sizable natural resource reserve..
It does sound like your setup nicely.

I hope that you are heavily invested.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 PM

18 posts, read 83,122 times
Me personally setup nicely no.. just the corporations that want to sell me the energy All the stuff I mentioned before does little to reduce the price at the pump ( about 4.15 a gallon if you covert it) or the fact our power rates are going up 9% this year.

I am sure Mr. Irving and family are quite happy however... and boy do I wish I had the market intellegence to invest into energy before it ran up like it has... I am just an average joe working for another corporation trying to scrape by.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I received this correspondence from Senator Collins and Representative Tom Allen when I wrote to them concerning rising oil prices. They are a bit wordy but will give people an idea of what government is doing to fix the current gas price hikes and give a look forward to the future...
Thanks for your time to write to your representatives and in providing us their replies. I am impressed with these Maine representatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
#1 The value of the dollar. A barrel of oil doesn't really cost $107. It still costs about $85, but because the value of the dollar has plumetted, $85 American dollars isn't worth $85, it's worth maybe $70. We need to do more than just lower our gas prices - we need to get our economy as a whole back on its feet...
Yes! The dollar continues to fall in value while the global price of this commodity had stayed somewhat stable. But now there is the giant engine of China who is competeing with us for that oil. There's nothing we can do about that. Indeed China owns so much of us that our pols have to be careful about saying anything not nice about them. A sad state of affairs.

Quote:
...Excellent, we do need more of those.
I have a number of friends who are Reactor Operators. ...
The US has the finest nuclear expertise in the world. Too many "environmental" groups and their well paid lawyers have obstructed the building of new nuclear plants for too long. They would prefer their energy come from the destruction of somebody else's home, like mountain top removal in West Virginia, for example. Here in Virginia we have the "Piedmont Environmental Council" which proclaims "The Piedmont Environmental Council is a 35-year-old non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and protecting the Piedmont’s rural economy, natural resources, history and beauty." Translated that reads "We are dedicated to keeping the rural land our well heeled members own and live on free of utilities and other necessities we depend on by dumping them in somebody else's community."

My home in Arlington Virginia is threatened by the howling of the "rural" Piedmont EC and their partner the shifty congressman Frank Wolf for the widening of a major interstate highway through our neighborhoods, as an alternative to a desperately needed new Potomac river crossing outside the "beltway" that would pass through some of Wolf's constituants and PEC members' exclusive communities. We are so afflicted by rediculous "environmental" groups like PEC, the Sierra Club and others with their swanky city environs and lavishly overpaid staff and lawyers. Disclaimer: I am an old time "environmentalist" from the 70's. "Think globally, act locally."

My 2c

qw

Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
The US has the finest nuclear expertise in the world.
I know.

I have spent years living within 100 feet of a live nuclear reactor. Depending upon them to sustain our lives.

They can be very clean, cheap to operate, and efficient.

Quote:
... Too many "environmental" groups and their well paid lawyers have obstructed the building of new nuclear plants for too long. They would prefer their energy come from the destruction of somebody else's home, like mountain top removal in West Virginia, for example. Here in Virginia we have the "Piedmont Environmental Council" which proclaims "The Piedmont Environmental Council is a 35-year-old non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and protecting the Piedmont’s rural economy, natural resources, history and beauty." Translated that reads "We are dedicated to keeping the rural land our well heeled members own and live on free of utilities and other necessities we depend on by dumping them in somebody else's community."

My home in Arlington Virginia is threatened by the howling of the "rural" Piedmont EC and their partner the shifty congressman Frank Wolf for the widening of a major interstate highway through our neighborhoods, as an alternative to a desperately needed new Potomac river crossing outside the "beltway" that would pass through some of Wolf's constituants and PEC members' exclusive communities. We are so afflicted by rediculous "environmental" groups like PEC, the Sierra Club and others with their swanky city environs and lavishly overpaid staff and lawyers. Disclaimer: I am an old time "environmentalist" from the 70's. "Think globally, act locally."

My 2c

qw
sigh, yeah

Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 PM

182 posts, read 490,823 times
Wow you got responses???

I wrote congressman Mike Michaud and Maine senator Carol Weston regarding the Biowaste thing from JC Bell in Georgia and not a peep.

Sadly I also wrote JC Bell himself asking for info because tomorrow at town meeting a vote will be taken on an ordnance banning genetically altered organisms within our town. I've read the ordnance and while I'm sure it was developed to protect food crops it would appear to be unrestrictive enough that JC Bells process to create fuel from biowaste would also wind up being banned if it passes. And I'll have no information in that regard to be able to speak.

Just a few nights ago I watched an interview of the head of Shell oil John Hofmeister who stated if we would use our own resources and stop importing what we bring in from other countries we would drive the world price down. He also said there' s enough oil in the ground for another 100 years at least.

Couple that with JC Bells process of making product from biowaste and it sure seems to me like the current prices are a sham.

Last edited by bringselpup; 03-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
Wow you got responses???

I wrote congressman Mike Michaud and Maine senator Carol Weston regarding the Biowaste thing from JC Bell in Georgia and not a peep.

Sadly I also wrote JC Bell himself asking for info because tomorrow at town meeting a vote will be taken on an ordnance banning genetically altered organisms within our town. I've read the ordnance and while I'm sure it was developed to protect food crops it would appear to be unrestrictive enough that JC Bells process to create fuel from biowaste would also wind up being banned if it passes. And I'll have no information in that regard to be able to speak.

Just a few nights ago I watched an interview of the head of Shell oil John Hofmeister who stated if we would use our own resources and stop importing what we bring in from other countries we would drive the world price down. He also said there' s enough oil in the ground for another 100 years at least.

Couple that with JC Bells process of making product from biowaste and it sure seems to me like the current prices are a sham.
Except for the fact that we have no surplus refining capability, you sound about right.

I am totally amazed that no TV news reporting is being done about JC Bell.

This should be the biggest, hugest thing; folks should be dancing in the streets! But not a peep anywhere.

???

Old 03-29-2008, 06:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
The declining value of the dollar is a major factor in the current run-up, no argument at all. The best way to see it is to price a barrel of oil in gold rather than dollars. It's an eye-opening experiment, and it shows just how much value the fiat dollar has lost. (And won't it be interesting when oil producers start demanding payment in gold rather than rapidly depreciating dollars.)

The president of Shell was talking through his hat. Sure the US has enough oil for the next 100 years -- in oil shale deposits that are useless. It's like saying there are millions of tons of gold in the ocean (and there are), but extracting it would cost far more than the gold would be worth. To be honest, I'm getting really, really tired of that old chestnut being trotted out by the industry every time one of its executives is forced to make a comment about peak oil. It is so totally misleading, yet each time it soothes the general public into thinking there's no problem.

I suspect that we Mainers are going to have to become far more local in our power generation plans. The town of Bucksport is looking at creating its own power generation facilities -- wind, tidal, waste steam from the local paper mill, maybe even a natgas generator. Back in the day, according to a story I just read, many Maine towns had their own power plants, usually hydroelectric turbines on local rivers and streams. That sort of thinking is looking pretty good right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine