Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:53 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times

Advertisements

I get depressed when I can’t go to Maine! Or, when my trip is weeks away! LOL
True story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I looked over the article - didnt read it fully.

But Major Depression is an illness. It's not "caused" by where you live - unless maybe you are diagnosed with 'situational depression.'

There are quite a few types of depression. MDD (major depressive disorder) cannot be cured by moving someplace else. You need medication and/or therapy. (I know, i have it and have had it for decades.)

So - i'm never sure about these "articles."

(SAD can be helped by more sunlight - supposedly.)
Can't you buy a lamp for that? For some, happiness is a choice. If you are miserable living in a place, try to make plans to relocate/move. This might not make life better for everyone, but maybe for some. I love Maine's seasons and try to embrace all of them. ... check out events for each season and get involved... or make up your own events and adventures. I love December when it's dark before 4 p.m.--wouldn't want that year round, but that with some snow and Christmas lights makes me smile. I like experiencing the days getting longer then getting shorter again. I'm not sure about the "articles" either. I guess they can stimulate a discussion.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-09-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 10:59 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Maine - "The Way Life Should Be" should be last on the list IMO.

Florida should be 1st. Depressing to the core down there.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 PM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
get yourself a few fifths of Allen's when winter starts

Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I don't buy the SAD syndrome, strikes me as another excuse, most suicides occur in springtime, not winter.

Depression is a polite medical term for self centeredness. Its more of a spiritual illness with fatal consequences.
I recovered from a lifetime of severe depression.
Congratulations on your "recovery." You are a lucky one. Many people must learn to manage their symptoms and never "recover" from it.

That said, I think saying it is an "excuse" and "self-centered" is reckless. No two people are alike, and depression can meld quite nicely with other underlying mental illnesses that need treatment.

There are no "one size fits all" cures for depression. Yours worked. I'm glad for you. I could introduce you to a multitude of people who will never be "cured."

The brain is an amazing thing, eh?

SI/HI (Suicidal Ideations and Homicidal Ideations - especially those with a plan) are indeed on the increase, and the do indeed happen often in the long, cold, dark of winter. Some could be contributed to the holidays - especially if the person is estranged from family members.

The difference is (IMHO) that people are more likely to seek out help in ERs in the winter. Those ERs are bound and gagged by HIPAA laws, and they are not able to disclose anything other than sterile "stats" about mental health patients awaiting an opening in a psychiatric facility (sometimes for days or weeks at a time) so no one except the employees within know just how bad it can get. With the dearth of mental health beds in this state - sometimes patients will be considered "boarded" and be stuck in a back room of an ER anywhere from days, to weeks. Many weeks. I can assure you that the numbers are far higher than they were 30 years ago.

Frankly, I think the whole world gets their knickers in a knot over dumb things now, which in turn, fuels rage and depression; however, there are very often organic causes to it, and people probably shouldn't be told they are simply being "self-centered" when they are in crisis.

Just my .02. Others may vary.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
A former local state congressperson writes an article in the MDI Islander every week. She reminded us that we should ignore the traffic in the summer. All these people save all year long so that they can spend a week or two in a place where we live all year around.

It is a good point.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
get yourself a few fifths of Allen's when winter starts
I do not drink any Allens. My grandmother gave my wife her secret recipe for making Kahlúa. It was what they drank through the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. I just have to keep our house stocked with enough corn whiskey, so she can make her Kahlúa.

I find that in bartering with the locals I can trade pork sausage and garden veggies for corn whiskey.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Can't you buy a lamp for that? For some, happiness is a choice. If you are miserable living in a place, try to make plans to relocate/move. This might not make life better for everyone, but maybe for some. I love Maine's seasons and try to embrace all of them. ... check out events for each season and get involved... or make up your own events and adventures. I love December when it's dark before 4 p.m.--wouldn't want that year round, but that with some snow and Christmas lights makes me smile. I like experiencing the days getting longer then getting shorter again. I'm not sure about the "articles" either. I guess they can stimulate a discussion.
Yes i believe they have "sunlight lamps" lol.

There are lots of things you can do to be happier - to a certain extent. I know many people who LOVE to wallow in their misery, i think THAT IS what makes them happy!

And yes, i love Winter and have no problem finding fun things to do - inside and out.

And i'm happy for the person who commented that they recovered from a lifetime of depression - and they're still alive. Many cannot recover and the answer is suicide. Many people in major depression need help and to act like it's all self-curable could be dangerous to people. You can't cure cancer yourself, so see a doctor if you cannot get better from thoughts every day of sadness and a lack of interest in anything. It can be serious. I hate to repeat myself, but it's the truth.

Best wishes to all.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 PM

130 posts, read 191,428 times
I don't put much stock in these articles since within reason - in my humble opinion, it's all about attitude. I was in Norway years ago and it was frigid weather every day. While they measured in in Celsius - it was around -40 F consistently. However, the Norwegians were awesome - went about their day, with nary a complaint and seemed happy! Meanwhile - most Americans that I was with were complaining non-stop about how cold it was! I finally shut-up about the cold and did what the Norwegians did - went about my day. It really made a difference to this gal . ..

Norway is happy! https://www.bbc.com/news/world-39325206

Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM

87 posts, read 79,206 times
There are definitely some folks with chemical depression issues, but one thing to consider is the effect of Freudian Psychology on such issues. That is the root of why these types of articles exist- blaming everything outside of one's self for your problems. External issues do occur, of course, but many of them are out of our control. The 'cure,' if you will, is in learning how to deal with the external stimuli.

If I am surrounded by people, weather or things that depress me, and I can't get away from them, it then falls on me to control how I respond. Do I wallow in self pity, burying myself in my depressive state, or do I find outlets, reasons to be happy? Do I blame the weather or do I play Polyanna's 'Be Glad' game?

Many people are living with issues that they don't have to, if they were trained and equipped in how to control themselves and their attitude towards it first. Instead, we put them in 'therapy' for 30 years where they learn they are fine and it's everyone and everything else that is causing their problem.

We are teaching people across our entire culture to be victims instead of empowering them to be strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine