U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,302,786 times

Advertisements

Just inquiring as to whether or not any of you Maine residents have spotted Canadian Lynx in your area...? Apparently the population of Lynx, particularly in Maine, have grown to the point they may be taken off the endangered species list.

A recent (January 2018) article in the Bangor Daily News speaks to the situation at hand. I have provided link below if anyone cares to peruse...

Canadian Lynx / Endangered Species List
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM

6,200 posts, read 11,963,249 times
Yes. There are quite a few (a dozen? I'm guessing) in northern Washington County. I watched a young lynx for seven or eight minutes in Topsfield in February. It crossed from East Musquash Lake to the other side of the road. All I had for a camera was my cell phone so there isn't a decent picture.

These tracks were made by a large male (according to our warden, he knows the cat) that is about six years old now. His territory covers part of Pleasant Lake Rd off Rt 6 in Topsfield.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Maine Writer, thank you for the info and photo, so glad to hear they are making a comeback! IMO they have one of the largest "paws to body size" ratios of any wild cat. If someone unfamiliar with the Lynx actually saw the cat make those tracks, they might say "That cat made THOSE tracks? It doesn't look a whole lot larger than my sister's Maine Coon!"...

Old 05-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Maine Writer, thank you for the info and photo, so glad to hear they are making a comeback!
It's not a comeback. They weren't here to begin with. They aren't endangered as some folks would like us to believe. The population in Maine has been naturally low but they aren't in any kind of danger of extinction or low overall population. If I drive a few miles from my house I can stand in an "endangered" state with one foot and a high-population province with the other.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 6,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's not a comeback. They weren't here to begin with. They aren't endangered as some folks would like us to believe. The population in Maine has been naturally low but they aren't in any kind of danger of extinction or low overall population. If I drive a few miles from my house I can stand in an "endangered" state with one foot and a high-population province with the other.
Watch out when you do that. Ther are rattlesnakes in New Brunswick, while Maine doesnt have any. They seem to know where the state line is.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM

19,284 posts, read 25,821,446 times
pretty animal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZncpYwybo

Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Watch out when you do that. Ther are rattlesnakes in New Brunswick, while Maine doesnt have any. They seem to know where the state line is.
Many thanks to Border Patrol for keeping them out of Maine. I wondered what they were doing out here in the woods.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry, should have clarified further when posting. The "comeback" I was describing was not Maine specific but rather an overall increase in range/population of the C.L. As I understand it, the Lynx were either "introduced" into Maine on top of any previously existing population, or simply increased population on their own. Either way, Maine apparently has one of the largest populations of active breeding pairs.

I am guessing once some of the newborn Lynx reach adulthood, they have to travel off to find their own "territory", this might explain population increasing in Vermont/New York, etc. as they migrate from Maine, but they may just as easily come down from the Provinces I suppose. Your a "boots on the ground" Maine resident who can provide live reports and actually sees what is going on and as such, your information is apt to be reflective of what is really happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pretty animal!!
If only ALL cats could solve their differences with this head butting and "bowing" ritual (I suspect these two are Japanese Lynx rather than Canadian) the world would be a better place IMO...

Quote:
Many thanks to Border Patrol for keeping them out of Maine. I wondered what they were doing out here in the woods.
It's actually Maine Wildlife and DEC departments that make this happen, they round up an "brand" the rattlers with Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey logos, the Maine snakes and other wildlife will have "none of it" with regards to them crossing the State line and chase them back....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine