Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I do take my used oil to the dump on occasion as they don't charge you to leave it."

You can sell used oil to truck and bus garages. They use it to heat their buildings. You can also use it as bar oil for the chain saw in winter. It runs out too fast in the summer. I have also heard of people mixing in a quart of motor oil with each tank of Diesel. In that application the quart of used oil is worth a dollar. They say they see no difference in peformance and the fuel filter will take out any solids.

Disclaimer: I have NOT done this in my Kubota tractor.
I'm going to try that! I wonder if you have to change the fuel filter more often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I try to put out only one bag a week. I have a cardboard box of boxes and either a pail or bag for food scraps, paper and other compostables. There's a grocery bag of bags hanging in the kitchen. When it's full I take it to the store nearby. They reuse them. Snowmobilers like them because they can be tied up tightly or tied to something tightly. When we have a choice we get paper over plastic. Those go to the store if we aren't going to use them unless they aren't neat and tidy. Then they're composted.

We can take appliances, furniture and paint to the transfer station in Baileyville. We pay for that in our taxes. Steve and the first selectman in the next down set up a day for metal debris pickup. A local recycler picked it up. He has it crushed and sells it. They set up a day for televisions, computers, etc. They had to be taken to the selectman's store to be picked up.

I could do better with glass and plastic.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"I'm going to try that! I wonder if you have to change the fuel filter more often?"

I have thought about that. I figure I would filter it through some cloth first to take out any carbon particles. Diesel fuel filters have to be pretty good. It wouldn't take much to plug an injector nozzle on a small Diesel.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I am glad to see somebody trying to figure out 'recycling' in Maine.

Folks have been telling me to just open a hole in the woods and every five years to bury it, and start a new one.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am glad to see somebody trying to figure out 'recycling' in Maine.

Folks have been telling me to just open a hole in the woods and every five years to bury it, and start a new one.
The place we bought in CO, many years ago, had been done that way, or so it seemed.

Problem is, stuff didn't want to stay buried... and unfortunately there were no "valuable antiques" that made their way to the surface... just wonderful things like old bailing twine, bailing wire, barbed wire... little things that just LOVED to stick a tendril up and wrap tightly around the tines and worse on the rototiller...

and then there was the place in the "wash" that they hadn't covered yet...

so the "hole on the back 40" would not be my first choice... even if I wasn't an eco-nut. just caused me too much extra work...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Back in the day, when we lived in Gray ( hey I rhyme!), there was an awesome transfer recyle station!
We took our unwanted treasures and picked up other people's unwanted treasure- an even swap! Now I heard that you can no longer pick and pack
Those were the days.....

Old 03-30-2008, 04:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I know a new resident that bought a farm. He wanted the old asbestos shingle siding removed. He checked several contractors and the price quotes were incredible so he asked around. He soon learned that there are two ways of getting this job done. The government way is to hire a licensed and certified contractor to remove it and place it into containers. Then you hire a licensed contractor to move it. Then you hire a licensed site to hold it and you still own it! The process is like nuclear waste and a huge money maker for everybody involved because it can cost more than the house.

The other way is to get a neighbor to dig a big hole on your own farm, fill a junk car with the old shingles and bury the whole car. Neat, simple and efficient.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
We bagged up piles of those shingles last year for my neighbor and dumped 'em for $15 a pickup load in the demolition dumpster!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Back in the day, when we lived in Gray ( hey I rhyme!), there was an awesome transfer recyle station!
We took our unwanted treasures and picked up other people's unwanted treasure- an even swap! Now I heard that you can no longer pick and pack
Those were the days.....

our small town has a building at the transfer station specifically, for unwanted items that are still useful, after seeing the building for a few months, i decided, to walk in just to check it out,,its a great concept, there were lamps, vcr's, radios plates, all kinds of stuff, all free for the taking, now i dont know how many items a person could take,,,,(the items i saw looked in good shape (even a small fridge)
i didnt grab anything, but was thinking of stuff i didnt use anymore to bring.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
our small town has a building at the transfer station specifically, for unwanted items that are still useful, after seeing the building for a few months, i decided, to walk in just to check it out,,its a great concept, there were lamps, vcr's, radios plates, all kinds of stuff, all free for the taking, now i dont know how many items a person could take,,,,(the items i saw looked in good shape (even a small fridge)
i didnt grab anything, but was thinking of stuff i didnt use anymore to bring.
The transfer station in NC that I went to now and then did that too, unofficially... nothing stayed around for long!

In many places there are Freecycle groups for such as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine