Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM

54 posts, read 137,830 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am considering moving to Houlton for work and I've got a few questions. I am quite familiar with Northern Aroostook county from work, but not really Houlton. I used to live in Western Maine. We are big hikers, skiers, and lake swimmers.

One thing is, is there lake swimming? Aroostook SP is the only thing I can find, and I've been there, great xc skiing, leeches the size of your arm in the lake and not even a beach, just grass.
I'm used to every town having a town beach, and its pretty important to me in the summer...

Also, cross country skiing in Houton? Again, I know all about Preque Isle and Fort Kent and thier ski area, but not Houlton.

How far to N. Baxter state park or the new Katadhin park for hiking? I've only been to the south entrance for BSP.

I have nothing against it, but not into motorized sports, I like exercise!

Thanks~

Last edited by Snowmon; 06-11-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:16 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
There are some groomed skiing trails over in Symrna. They are privately owned, but it won't take you long to get an invite if you are into cross country skiing. Also loads of groomed snowsled trails that folks ski on, but that can get sketchy with sleds operating faster than they should, which happens. For downhill skiing there is Big Rock in Mars Hill. They do an awesome job and have great snow conditions.
Both Drews Lake and Nickerson have a public landing where folks swim. Neither is what you would call a beach. Both have a boat ramp along with the swimming area. Birch Point on Pleasant Lake in Island Falls has a pretty good beach, but that lake is spring fed and at most the temp is 65 degrees. No leeches in any of those bodies of water that I'm aware of. The International Appalachian Trail passes through Houlton and goes to the top of Mars Hill Mountain, but I would not recommend it for hiking. It simply is the old rail bed that has been made into an ATV/snowsled trail. Going to Mars Hill and hiking Mars Hill Mt is a good hike. Only 1 mile to the summit, but up hill all the way. The North end of Baxter is 20 miles from Patten, and Patten is 30 miles from Houlton. The new National Monument is highly over-rated in my mind. If you go to the North end of it and enter from Patten, you can only drive 3 miles before you come to some bridges that are out. I guess you could bike some of the roads, but you must go to the South end of the Monument if you want to get anywhere. To hike in the Monument, basically you would be walking logging roads. The North end of Baxter has plenty of hiking trails. I'd head there if I went in that direction. Then there is East Grand Lake and all those recreation facilities south of Houlton towards Danforth. That area is best for boating, not recreating on foot.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Thanks Kellysmith, awesome information in your reply!

Old 06-11-2018, 07:30 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Don't forget things across the border (if you have a passport).

Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM

164 posts, read 188,880 times
It's more than a daytrip but skiing into Daciey/Kidney/Roaring or Chimney in BSP is an excellent winter adventure.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Don't forget things across the border (if you have a passport).

I forgot about that, do you know much about what is over there in the Woodstock area? I've been to Mt. Carleton in N.B. but thats a bit of a drive.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmon View Post
I forgot about that, do you know much about what is over there in the Woodstock area? I've been to Mt. Carleton in N.B. but thats a bit of a drive.
For downhill skiing, there is Crabbe Mt southeast of Woodstock about 25 miles, but it doesn't compare to Big Rock. I know a lot of Canadians who ski at Big Rock from the Woodstock area and they don't think about skiing Crabbe. I'm not aware of any cross country ski trails maintained there but there could be some. If so they are privately maintained. They do have more organized hockey leagues than Maine. They are big into Pond Hockey. In fact the largest Pond Hockey tournament in the world is held in Plaster Rock each winter. Teams come from all around the world. There are some houses that have been purchased by a team and they only time they use it is for the Tournament. Not fancy houses, but something they have picked up for 25 to 30 thousand. Last year they was a Czech team that beat one of the Canadian teams 54-6 in a 60 minute game. Yes, 54 goals in 60 minutes. Some of the guys on that Canadian team ski at Big Rock and it was something listening to them talk about the game. I guess they were mostly professional hockey players, and yes they won the tournament.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
The ponds around Mt Katahdin offer good moose watching opportunities around sunrise and sunset in marshy areas where they like to wade and feed on greens.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Bigrock has x country skiing too.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Bigrock has x country skiing too.
Not for several years. They have tubing though. The cross country trails used to go out by the tubing hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine