Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Yeah, it kinda makes one laugh, to think of looking forward to MUD season, doesn't it?

Me, I am looking forward to the first hit of new GREEN in the landscape, wondering what it will be. I will plant crocus, snowdrops, other early bulbs when I get my place... on the South side, in a protected area where we will not be likely to pile snow (which is where it will warm first) as I always remember those sorts of "dare the winter" blossoms as ones that truly fed the soul in the early spring.

I was dreaming of Lily of the Valley and Tiger lillies recently; saw bulbs out for sale... obviously I am not the only one dreaming thusly...
I already have mud season. When they plowed in Jan they cut the loop too small and missed the gravel drive, went across the grass instead. Gonna take a few hours with an iron rake to get the ruts out I think.

New green shoots already popping up, some kind of bulb but I'm no expert. Iris? Tiger Lilly? About an inch high now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Good to hear from you, Zymer. I just did another one like yours.
Thanks, I still have no 'net access from the house, not even a regular phone. Called TW a few times (construction dept.) but can never get a real person to answer, I may just run a cable out to the street myself and tell them to hook it up at the pole.

I was going to hijack some wi-fi but the laptop is on the fritz and in about a hundred pieces, I'm amazed that I had to take so much of it apart just to replace the CD drive. Going to be LOTS of fun trying to get it back together.

Another short sale? I'm still wondering if the previous owners of mine understand the tax situation they will be facing this year. I'm guessing not.

And to stay on-topic and responsive to the original line of this thread...

Every time one moves from [somewhere] to [somewhere else] there will be a period of adjustment. People may be different in some ways, but in other ways they are the same (generally speaking).

When moving to a new area one must learn to "fit in", in order to be accepted. As Forest has very aptly pointed out, there are a number of things that one can do to hasten this process. Sure, some people may say "Why should I have to learn to 'fit in'? People should just accept me the way I am."

If we lived in a perfect, logical world that might be possible, but we don't. Logic plays second fiddle to emotion, and emotional response in human behavior is deep-seated, with its roots going far back to prehistoric times long before "logic" was conceived, when even "language" was little more than grunts and gestures.

Two factors are at work here, both related to the "survival instinct". The first is the need for acceptance, to be part of the "group", the principal of "safety in numbers" where the members of the group combine their efforst to defend themselves against danger.

The second factor, closely related to the first, is that "different" meant "dangerous". Before laws (and logic) were established, taking what you wanted/needed to survive, without thought of the rights of others to retain what they might have worked to obtain was an accepted reality of life. "Outsiders" would frequently raid other groups to gain resources. As a basic matter of survival, an outsider, anyone who was "different" was automatically an enemy. Even if an "outsider" was not openly hostile, his presence could put a strain on the resources available to a group.

Despite the passage of many millenia, and the veneer of "civilization", this [perhaps genetic] trait remains with us. "Logic" has not (perhaps cannot) overcome this emotional response. The Age of Reason is still in its infancy, illogical beliefs still pervade society as a whole. If logic and rationality have not yet supplanted the less deeply ingrained superstitious fantasies that threaten to utterly destroy our society (with warring factions armed with weapons of horrendous destructive power) then there is little reason to think that they will easily overcome an instinctive emotional response that predates self-awareness.

It therefore falls to the individual, who wishes to integrate with an already established "group", to model his/her behavior in a manner which is non-threatening to the group and to show that he/she has something of value to offer them, rather than just walking in and saying "Here I am, you must all love me and be my friend."

Even if you had something of great value to offer, if it is presented in a manner that is perceived as threatening the group will run. Think of taking a loaf of bread to feed pigeons or seagulls- if you run into the flock screaming "I have food!" they will take flight. But, if you approach slowly, sit and scatter some crumbs and wait, they will come to you. With enough patience and the right offering, you may be able to convince a chickadee to land on your hand, or a chipmunk to sit on your knee.

In the Army, and in another occupation, I learned to become adept at "blending in", to integrate with and become influential within a group (even before I read "How To Win Friends And Influence People"). You may have opinions that differ from the group, and they are not necessarily "wrong", but if you offer those opinions without being asked, or presume to insist that other people accept them, they (and you) will likely be rejected.

One who wishes to integrate with a new group, be accepted by a new community, he must appear friendly, or at least, non-threatening. Be seen and be friendly, if you participated in some type of group or activity in your previous community then find a similar group and join it, it gives you something in common with them on which to build friendship and trust.

Expand on casual contacts, ask questions and listen to the answers, get the lay of the land and learn which way the wind blows. If you have a different opinion, keep it to yourself for the moment.

"Normal" is entirely subjective, what one person or group considers "normal" may be far different from someone else's idea. For instance, up until the 1990s there was a group of people who considered cannibalism to be "normal" (the Korowai tribe of Papua New Guinea).

Other people consider it "normal" to believe in one form of deity or another, and engage in killing those who do not share the same belief.

To find *your* version of "normal, you'll have to go out and look for it.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Nope. Not a short sale, but one with a very short closing deadline. It got done.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
You mean we still haven't found those darned "normal people" yet? hmmm

I may have been right!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 AM

68 posts, read 183,723 times
Heck I'll jump on this one.

I worked at the Bangor hospital last fall.

It took awhile for people to warm up to me (and me them) but it eventually happened. I have to admit I was a bit introverted because I was going through a divorce and had a lot on my mind. I wasn't overly sociable, but I worked hard and did my job well. By the end of my contract I had a job offer which I declined. The people I worked with were probably more receptive of me than I was of them to be truthful.

After being gone for since Jan 19 and with my divorce final I have decided to return to that hospital as a permanent staffer.

As far as Mainers being slow to warm up to newcomers I'd have to say the same for Ohioans. My guess is that people probably tend to be that way everywhere. Newcomers are always somewhat suspect and need to 'prove themselve' for lack of a better term.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:26 PM

41 posts, read 223,933 times
Default It's like this ...

There are no normal people ... except you and me ... and I'm not so sure about you.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
we are all out here. we are not in maine, yes us, mr and ms laid back, loose, party yeah yeah yeah. cowabunga man. land of the terminally hip. come on out. you were lookin on the wrong coast man.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 AM

278 posts, read 699,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
You just about described my extended family and what we do for fun.
Here's our pit:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/Christmas06inMaine111-1.jpg (broken link)
Putting up some targets:

Three well proportioned guys shooting:

Done shooting practice, time for a beer:

Just the three and me hanging out at the pit with some loud music:

A six pack observation:
Target shooting with shotguns?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
im normal! right?? no realy i think i am. hang on i'll ask my wife.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 AM

278 posts, read 699,767 times
Cape E people are not "typical" Maine people in the sense that many of them are not originally from Maine. Therefore, they cannot be expected to be a representative sample of "normal" Mainers, or even of "normal" "people" for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine