Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times

Advertisements

I recently had my car serviced & inspected. Four days later while driving, my right front tire came off. How could that have happened after them inspecting the car? Needless to say, I won't go there again, but do I have any recourse now? Also, I had to pay five thousand for him to do the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:54 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,290,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciasgirl2002 View Post
I recently had my car serviced & inspected. Four days later while driving, my right front tire came off. How could that have happened after them inspecting the car? Needless to say, I won't go there again, but do I have any recourse now? Also, I had to pay five thousand for him to do the car.
Not sure what this has to do with Maine, but considering that the tire might have been tampered with, hard to say what outcome could prevail.

Also- 5 grand ? man- that must have been some HUGE repairs ! Was it in a prior accident ?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,588,041 times
I have had this happen twice in the last half century. The first time was in Florida when I bought four new tires. I didn't make it 10 miles before the left front tire came off. My Jeep Wagoneer went airborne and I nearly rolled over with my family in the car. I walked down the road about 200 yards, retrieved the tire and came back to the Jeep. The five lug nuts were gone forever into the woods. I removed one lug nut from each of the three other tires and drove back to the tire shop.

The second one was also a front tire; this time from a VW Bug. I hardly felt it depart the vehicle. It just leaned a little left. I did not stop, just followed the tire and wheel more than a half mile until it came to a stop and fell over. The three nut borrowed procedure did the trick again.

Tire and wheel departures are far more common than people imagine. I put a lot of miles on a vehicle.. I have been driving for many years and I have seen dozens of wheel departures, many from tractor trailers.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,056,684 times
I've owned my own torque wrench for about 15 years now. I used to autocross race, and had an extra set of rims and tires for event days. Anyway, I always wanted to make sure that my lugnuts were torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Obviously, too loose is not good, but it's also not good to have the lugnuts on too tight. I also put anti-seize on the threads.

So when there is a situation where I know that the techs have taken off my rims, I like to check my lugnuts later on to make sure that the lugnuts are torqued properly.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:33 PM

599 posts, read 602,098 times
Often when you get your tires rotated they recommend that you go back a few days later to have them retorqued. I assume it's because the wheel may not be seated entirely flat, and/or the torquing wasn't done right. I bet very few people go back to have them checked. I never do.

Five thousand to "do the car"? For that amount of money I would just buy a good used car.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:42 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,041,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Often when you get your tires rotated they recommend that you go back a few days later to have them retorqued. I assume it's because the wheel may not be seated entirely flat, and/or the torquing wasn't done right. I bet very few people go back to have them checked. I never do.

Five thousand to "do the car"? For that amount of money I would just buy a good used car.
If you dont get the lugnuts retorqued they are off the hook of liability.

Just had a tire replaced in oakfield maine, they torqued the wheel so tight i couodnt loosen the lugs until i hit it with a 600 ft lb air impact.
If i had to change a flat on the road i doubt I could have gotten it off.

One place destroyed my lugs and studs, threads were stretched from overdoing the impact wrench.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:54 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,393,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciasgirl2002 View Post
This is a very informative thread. A friend had a new boat and trailer (single axle) lose a tire with a $25,000 boat in tow. The tire passed us on the interstate so my buddy, who was driving, immediately pulled over. As I retrieved the wayward tire and returned to the trailer, my friend pointed to the fender. It read, "check lugnuts frequently!"

Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,588,041 times
"threads were stretched from overdoing the impact wrench."

The same wrench is used on a tractor trailer and a Prius. The mechanic is supposed to set the air pressure for the vehicle having the tires mounted. Too much torque and a small vehicle stud can be snapped like a carrot.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 AM

23,380 posts, read 17,050,165 times
I carry a breaker bar with an impact socket to fit the lug nuts. If I buy new tires, the first thing I do is loosen all the nuts and retighten. Too often the lugnuts are torqued far too tight for anyone to loosen on the side of a road without a breaker bar and length of pipe. I always use anti seize compound on all threaded bolts.

I supply a length of pipe and breaker bar to family and friends in case of an emergency where their phone doesn't work.

I'll retorque an intake manifold after a new installation, never lug nuts. If that were legitimate, dealerships would require you to return. Probably some unique mechanical situation twisted into a general rule. Just like never putting anti seize on your lug nuts and possums breed through their nose.

A disgruntled employee loosed the lug nuts on a bosses car.

Considering the mistake made at dealerships and garages, forgetting to tighten down lug nuts after finger tightening, is well within the realm of possibility.

A friend with a new Ford suv takes her vehicle in for dealer required oil changes etc. Guess who forgot to put oil back in the year old car? They claimed it was a mechanical failure and then installed a new engine for free.

Never go back to that garage, though send an email to that dealer letting them know what happened as a matter of documentation. Matters not if the accept blame. It will heighten their awareness for future customers and perhaps prompt an adjustment in their personnel line-up.

Just for kicks, you might ask the mechanic after a service and before you take the car back, how many lbs of torque was used to tighten your wheels. Like a good lawyer never ask a question to which you don't already know the answer. This link will help.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/l...10:s#chevrolet

Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,102,030 times
This original post told us nothing about the shop, the place, the car or anything but a weird rant. We don’t know where the shop was or how in heaven’s name they could have had 5000 bucks worth of repair.

And it was the first and only post by this person.

Sound kind of trollish to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine