Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 10,133 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Maine early next year and are looking at houses in Washington County as well as up in Aroostook County.

As we currently live on a small, rural island in Washington state, we understand how it is to be new (and different) in a small community; how to wait and let people get to know us, etc. We are comfortable with ourselves and not overbearing about being gay, but neither do we hide who we are.

We are curious about other people's experiences...were you ignored or cautiously accepted over time? Did you meet with any general hostility? (There are jerks everywhere, but we don't need to move into the middle of a community that has decided to dislike us without knowing us).

Thanks in advance for anything you may share on this topic, we feel that Maine is a good fit for us and we are looking forward to being actively contributing members of the place we end up choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM

164 posts, read 188,880 times
Seems to me you guys are approaching this with a very positive attitude, I would like to think you won't have any problems.
As I'm sure you're aware you've chosen a couple very conservative regions of the state to potentially live in but as I'm sure you are also aware Maine (along with WA) was one of the first states to legalize gay marriage by popular vote.
As you point out in your post; there are jackasses everywhere, but the general rule of thumb, especially in rural Maine is pretty much live and let live (except during hunting season) and kinda mind your own damn business.
And that should about do it.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Why Maine?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 PM

164 posts, read 188,880 times
Also, are you living on one of the San Juan's? If so, and you consider that rural you may be a little bit surprised at the kind of "rural" Washington and Aroostook County's are.
As people on this site so often recommend....try renting for a year. Look around. Many different regions here to explore.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,133 times
Thanks for your good wishes, I think we are on the right track. Every place is different and I'm sure there will be adjustments to make.

For the record we do not live in the San Juans. We live on a small island with about 900 residents, a volunteer fire department, no law enforcement other than when ferried over, etc. Services here are limited to a general store, a gas station and a cafe. In some ways I think this will help with the adjusment to rural Maine.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
You should be fine. Northern Mainers that I've met tend to be live and let live. Even if they might not "approve" (More than two out of three voters in Aroostook County voted against same sex marriage in 2012), they're not the the "in your face" holier than thou types you run across in many other arts of the country. I think it's just attributable to the older population. It's one of the safest places in the country. Hope you love long, cold, snowy winters!

Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
It's one of the safest places in the country. Hope you love long, cold, snowy winters!
Although it may be a similar latitude, I think northern Maine winters will be a pretty noticeable step up from an island in the Puget Sound area - you don't have that (relatively) warm Pacific Ocean all around you. You can always dress for it though - get a real winter coat and insulated boots if you want to be outside...

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-03-2018 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Look at Eastport in Washington County - this might be just what you're looking for,

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Being gay in Maine should not be an issue - hasn’t been for me. People here are generally live and let live. Your wanting to contribute to the community should be well received most anywhere. You don’t mention how familiar you are with this state, but do yourselves a huge favor and rent for a year before contemplating buying.

I was raised in northern Aroostook county and after many years away I decided to return to Maine last year thinking it would be a good place to retire. Bought a house in a Portland suburb and sold it after one winter. 2200 sf newer ranch-style on almost an acre was sweet ($6500/yr property taxes not so much); but far more than I wanted to have to maintain and repair in my advancing years. I’m headed back to Cali soon.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:20 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Welcome.

If you make an effort to get active with community groups it will help with the process of being accepted in the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
... Bought a house in a Portland suburb and sold it after one winter. 2200 sf newer ranch-style on almost an acre was sweet ($6500/yr property taxes not so much); but far more than I wanted to have to maintain and repair in my advancing years. I’m headed back to Cali soon.
Wow!

My 2400 sq ft house with a total footprint of 4900 sq ft, on 150 acres of land runs me around $857 a year in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine