Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:41 PM

56 posts, read 48,422 times

Advertisements

Silly question but - Is Blue Hill last for the midcoast, or is it downeast? Also, what are your favorite spots on the peninsula? We will be renting in East Blue Hill. I am so excited about exploring the area!

What are some Of the most isolated areas - where I can park, listen to the radio, have my coffee and enjoy the winter solitude? Power outages, internet speed, Verizon service, Blue Hill Consolidated, yearround restaurants, the people?

Also, I read some comments about the commute to Ellsworth in the winter is a challenge, and Bangor is almost
out of the question. It’s difficult to understand how a 20 or 50 minute drive isn’t doable in the winter. Driving in snow doesn’t bother me - maybe it’s ice, or unpredictable weather?

The lease is signed, deposit paid, no turning back now! And I’ve researched, read every post, newspaper article, travel blog, even watched YouTube videos to get a better feel. I’m still feeling a bit lost, and hoping for stories that will ease my stress. The good and bad, why you love it or don’t. Favorites and what to avoid. Tell me everything!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM

My guess is downeast, but I’m curious how locals view it.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Anything east of the Penobscot River is Down East. This includes All of coastal Hancock and Washington Counties within 20 miles of high tide. I used to live on Verona Island which is in Hancock County.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:00 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
There is no problem with driving to anywhere in the winter from Blue Hill. I have no idea who would tell you something like that.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
Are you retired or working with the need to drive to a job several days a week? If you don't HAVE to be on the roads in a snowstorm, stay off them unless you want to add some potential excitement to your life. If you are going to drive in the snow (snowstorm) as opposed to waiting until the next day when the storm has passed and the roads have been cleared more completely, might want to get some studded snow tires for your vehicle. You can search the forum for lengthy discussions of what vehicle you should have and what snow tires you should buy. Some people obsess over snow, vehicles, and tires.

I have several friends and relatives who moved to Ellsworth from Washington County many years ago. They consider Washington County downeast and going to Washington County from Ellsworth going downeast. Compared to Belfast, Hancock County is downeast (directionally and attitudinally). To others, Hancock County is downeast just because they've decided to include it. Regardless, I definitely wouldn't put Blue Hill or East Blue Hill in the Midcoast category. https://downeast.com/origin/

Restaurants open year round? google restaurants in Blue Hill, Maine or choose another town or city. Surely you don't expect us to tell you everything and ruin your exploring adventures.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 11-05-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM

East of the Penobscot - that makes sense, thank you!

AustinB - thank you. I found it while searching for “Blue Hill” - it wasn’t a recent post. Maybe they meant another area on the peninsula. The first property, in West Brooksville, looked to be a much longer ride to Bangor. All of the research, maps, traveling around the Maine - but I’ll need to live it for awhile before I fully grasp its size.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Are you retired or working with the need to drive to a job several days a week? If you don't HAVE to be on the roads in a snowstorm, stay off them unless you want to add some potential excitement to your life. If you are going to drive in the snow (snowstorm) as opposed to waiting until the next day when the storm has passed and the roads have been cleared more completely, might want to get some studded snow tires for your vehicle. You can search the forum for lengthy discussions of what vehicle you should have and what snow tires you should buy. Some people obsess over snow, vehicles, and tires.

I have several friends and relatives who moved to Ellsworth from Washington County many years ago. They consider Washington County downeast and going to Washington County from Ellsworth going downeast. Compared to Belfast, Hancock County is downeast (directionally and attitudinally). To others, Hancock County is downeast just because they've decided to include it. Regardless, I definitely wouldn't put Blue Hill or East Blue Hill in the Midcoast category. https://downeast.com/origin/

Restaurants open year round? google restaurants in Blue Hill, Maine or choose another town or city. Surely you don't expect us to tell you everything and ruin your exploring adventures.
Thanks. I’ve lived in small, seasonal towns so I understand closing for the season or limited hours. I should’ve said, what are a few favorite local places, open year round? Or, favorite spot that opens in the summer? My husband will commute to Ellsworth and Bangor, but I’m not sure the exact schedule yet. I’m looking forward to exploring the area!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Also - moving is stressful, especially when we are about 12 days out, still waiting on the yeoman for hard orders. And my time in the area was brief. I was hoping for some personal accounts to distract me from the stress.

My car is AWD, good in the snow. The same snow tire debates happen in CT, where you really don’t need them. I’ll need to do some more research on it.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Default Blue Hill restaurant

I have only been to 1 restaurant in Blue Hill, and that was good and reasonably priced for dinner, and I believe they are open year round. Deepwater Brewing Co's brewpub, which is affiliated with the pricier Arborvine restaurant. The brewpub had good drinks and good food, well worth it, and it was right on the main street that goes past the harbor, just outside the center of town.
https://www.arborvine.com/deepwater-brew-pub/

Old 11-05-2018, 01:15 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post

restaurants... Marlintinis, Thurstons, Sandys, Siam Thai, Barncastle, and Yannis

Barncastle and Yannis are pizza joints. barncastle has some more meal faire and live music on Wednesday evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine