Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:05 PM

56 posts, read 48,164 times

Advertisements

The guilt is setting in - My kids (6 and 3.5) have grown up in military communities. They are adaptable, quick to make friends, and only know a neighborhood lifestyle, with a playground, activities - very tight knit. I am the opposite. I’d live downeast on 100 acres with no neighbors. My husband is in the middle. I’m hoping to find the best of both worlds.

For work and school, we should be within an hour of Bangor/ Orono - but we have other options and nothing is finalized. I’d love suggestions for both, within an hour of Bangor, or a random location that meets our wishes. Im considering Cherryfield, possibly Whiting, Cutler, or Orrington, Brewer, the Blue Hill Area, and Bar Harbor/ MDI is ideal (I think) but I’m not sure it’s in my budget. Greenville too - but surrounding area is so rural. I’d prefer more liberal areas, near the ocean. But again, I’m open to all suggestions.

Where can I find a super kid friendly area with a sense of community, with privacy? We will be renting, and looking to stay under $1500/ mo, more if heat is included. And we prefer Bangor Area or north, or Blue Hill to more downeast. But I’m open - just not southern Maine.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Update -
We will be renting in Brooksville. It’s a winter rental, flexible, reasonably priced. I’m hoping it will be much easier to secure a long term rental in the Blue Hill area from Brooksville. It wasn’t my first choice of the Blue Hill Peninsula towns - but it looks very peaceful and close enough to “busy” areas. It will be fantastic for the winter, and we may love it enough to stay year round.

Brooksville locals - I’d love to hear more about it! And, what is your favorite town in the area?

Thank you!

Old 10-26-2018, 04:43 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Britt - welcome to Maine.

We moved to Maine soon after I retired from the US Navy. I spent a lot of my career homeported on boats out of Groton, Ct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt_brt View Post
The guilt is setting in
I can understand that.

Quote:
... My kids (6 and 3.5) have grown up in military communities. They are adaptable, quick to make friends, and only know a neighborhood lifestyle, with a playground, activities - very tight knit. I am the opposite. I’d live downeast on 100 acres with no neighbors. My husband is in the middle. I’m hoping to find the best of both worlds.

For work and school, we should be within an hour of Bangor/ Orono - but we have other options and nothing is finalized. I’d love suggestions for both, within an hour of Bangor, or a random location that meets our wishes.
We bought two parcels of forest land 20 miles North of Bangor in an unorganized township. We built a house and we love it.

The next time you guys are in the area, contact me and you are welcome to come by for a visit and to have supper with us.

I wish you luck in finding your future home.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:58 PM

3,467 posts, read 7,216,499 times
I live in Brooklin. It's a very nice place tobe. Property prices are high in this area. Land would tend to be cheaper say in Penobscot or Surry, away from the water. Commuting to and from work would be better if you were centrally located.

Brooksville is a nice town and very pretty. The school seems to be ok, I've heard nothing bad.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:29 PM

I was concerned about the school, I’ve read Penobscot, Surry, and Blue Hill are better. But a 6:1 student teacher ratio is pretty awesome. I’m thinking they do not have enough students for accurate rankings.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:43 PM

AustinB

Thank you. The house is in West Brooksville (I think?) - on Ferry St. It looks semi- walkable, but I’m not finding a real downtown area. I’m looking at maps - would you give me an idea of commute times, around the Peninsula from Brooksville? Or to Belfast, Ellsworth, Bangor? I don’t mind a long drive - I find it relaxing. I’m

Old 10-26-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Britt - welcome to Maine.

We moved to Maine soon after I retired from the US Navy. I spent a lot of my career homeported on boats out of Groton, Ct.

I can understand that.

We bought two parcels of forest land 20 miles North of Bangor in an unorganized township. We built a house and we love it.

The next time you guys are in the area, contact me and you are welcome to come by for a visit and to have supper with us.

I wish you luck in finding your future home.

Submariner - we live in housing in Groton! My husband is prior Navy Corpsman/ FMF, so no subs, then 3 years AD reserves, then he went AD Coast Guard. 12 years total. I have mixed feelings about leaving. Not that I’m a super involved spouse, but my kids love having a neighborhood. Were your kids OK with the transition? I’m looking forward to the privacy! Your property sounds amazing.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Submariner - we live in housing in Groton! My husband is prior Navy Corpsman/ FMF, so no subs, then 3 years AD reserves, then he went AD Coast Guard. 12 years total. I have mixed feelings about leaving. Not that I’m a super involved spouse, but my kids love having a neighborhood. Were your kids OK with the transition? I’m looking forward to the privacy! Your property sounds amazing.
Our children transitioned fine. They have since spread their wings and flown the coop.

I believe that rural living is far superior to urban for raising children.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Thank you. I agree - rural living works well for military kids because they’ve learned to appreciate, adapt, to embrace change. My kids - it’s all about playing outside. Don’t get me wrong, they love iPads too! But even at only 6 and 3.5, they’ve learned to socialize and find the good.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:24 AM

3,467 posts, read 7,216,499 times
Quote:
AustinB

Thank you. The house is in West Brooksville (I think?) - on Ferry St. It looks semi- walkable, but I’m not finding a real downtown area. I’m looking at maps - would you give me an idea of commute times, around the Peninsula from Brooksville? Or to Belfast, Ellsworth, Bangor? I don’t mind a long drive - I find it relaxing. I’m
There is no downtown of West Brooksville. In fact the only store in Brooksville closes for the winter.

From West brooksville to Blue Hill is about 20 minutes. That would be the closest larger grocery store. Belfast, hour and a half.

Ellsworth, close to a hour.

Bangor, hour and a half. It could be worse, you could have gotton a place out on Cape Rosier there i Brooksville... add half an hour to drve times. It is super beautiful out there though.

Blue Hill and Surry do have better schools and George Stevens Academy in Blue Hill is a superb high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine