Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times

Advertisements

Hey all- have a big question :

Question for those with pellet stoves...

I ran into a nearby neighbor today, and we talked about our power outage last night. Outages are rare around here, so always makes the " talk of the town".

She said that they had a pellet stove, something we did not consider as needed power to run as a heat alternative, and the sudden outage caused her house to fill up with smoke.

They had to open the windows etc to clear the house due to the sudden smoke.

Now- is it just me but should not pellet stoves have an " emergency damper" something you could open to let the remaining pellets in the box to vent- in the event that power suddenly went off- as leaving the damper closed ?

Our alternative heat is are woodstoves- we have two- one in the living room and one in the kitchen. Loss of power would only take out the fan to circulate, but the stove still is making heat. We ran with them in that wild winter 2014/2015 - even without fans...

Anyone with pellet stove knowledge- how does one cope with sudden loss of power ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
We have a portable 10 KW generator. We run it outside and bring extension cords into the house. We can run the pellet stove and a few lights. I wouldn't want to run it long term, but a day or so is acceptable.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a portable 10 KW generator. We run it outside and bring extension cords into the house. We can run the pellet stove and a few lights. I wouldn't want to run it long term, but a day or so is acceptable.
Short of using a generator, as even then- there is a delay to start anyway...

How can one- or is it possible to have an emergency damper open if one has a pellet stove ?

I do not have- nor would I have- a pellet stove. They need power to run, but a woodstove does not. However- I felt awful for her when she was talking about how they had to have their windows open for almost an hour to get the smoke out of the house- and it was raining- so the windows etc all got wet- ... All due to the fact the sudden powerloss closed the pellet stove- making burning pellets- with no vent...

That doesn't seem right to me... Are there emergency damper controls for ones wit pellet stoves ???

Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Short of using a generator, as even then- there is a delay to start anyway...

How can one- or is it possible to have an emergency damper open if one has a pellet stove ?

I do not have- nor would I have- a pellet stove. They need power to run, but a woodstove does not. However- I felt awful for her when she was talking about how they had to have their windows open for almost an hour to get the smoke out of the house- and it was raining- so the windows etc all got wet- ... All due to the fact the sudden powerloss closed the pellet stove- making burning pellets- with no vent...

That doesn't seem right to me... Are there emergency damper controls for ones wit pellet stoves ???
No damper controls for pellet stoves. The power loss didn't close the exhaust vent, it shut off the exhaust fan. If the exhaust vent was angled upwards, it may be better.

I have a pellet stove to off set the cost/use of oil. It works fine as long as the power is on. They aren't meant to be used for emergency heat, unless you have a stand alone power source.

Sub, has posted some links to pellet stoves that don't rely on electricity.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
I installed a Generac Generator hard wired into my system. I fear being with out power for days approaching my 70’s. They had a deal this summer 10 years free service and parts. Like you my primary heat source is wood. I will continue to cut wood as long as I can hold a chainsaw. I also have heat pumps and a jotel gas stove .

Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I'm not in Maine but I saw this thread and thought I would comment.

I have two pellet stoves (one on each end of the house) in my old farm house on the Texas South Plains. I use only one stove early on but, as the weather gets colder, I will use both. We are on the end of a Coop power line and during the winter months we expect to suffer outages several time during he winter due to aging power poles that go down due to ice, snow or even wind. When a stove is running and this occurs, the house will often fill with smoke due to the continued burning of the pellets in the burn pot and the exhaust fan in the stove shutting down.

We have a standalone generator but, as someone else had mentioned, there is a delay between hooking it up and the electricity going down. I have thought about the possibility of an emergency battery-operated exhaust fan something akin to an emergency light at exit doors in public buildings that operates on a 6 or 12-volt motorcycle battery. The fan wouldn't have to run very long since any remaining pellets in the burn pot would soon burn out.

Has anyone built something like this, or do you know if anyone sells such a thing? It should be rather simple to construct.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm not in Maine but I saw this thread and thought I would comment.

I have two pellet stoves (one on each end of the house) in my old farm house on the Texas South Plains. I use only one stove early on but, as the weather gets colder, I will use both. We are on the end of a Coop power line and during the winter months we expect to suffer outages several time during he winter due to aging power poles that go down due to ice, snow or even wind. When a stove is running and this occurs, the house will often fill with smoke due to the continued burning of the pellets in the burn pot and the exhaust fan in the stove shutting down.

We have a standalone generator but, as someone else had mentioned, there is a delay between hooking it up and the electricity going down. I have thought about the possibility of an emergency battery-operated exhaust fan something akin to an emergency light at exit doors in public buildings that operates on a 6 or 12-volt motorcycle battery. The fan wouldn't have to run very long since any remaining pellets in the burn pot would soon burn out.

Has anyone built something like this, or do you know if anyone sells such a thing? It should be rather simple to construct.
Maybe like one of those battery packs for computers, just so you could get it shut off.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Maybe like one of those battery packs for computers, just so you could get it shut off.
Yes. I was just about to post this as I had done a little more reading on the subject. I need to read some more but it seems they may make battery backups for pellet stoves.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes. I was just about to post this as I had done a little more reading on the subject. I need to read some more but it seems they may make battery backups for pellet stoves.
My husband was stating something like a relay that was 12 volt on one side, and 110 on the other. When the power is on- it would bypass the relay, as not needed. But when the resistance changes, ie power loss, the 12 volt would turn on a simple battery.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Hey all- have a big question :

Question for those with pellet stoves...

I ran into a nearby neighbor today, and we talked about our power outage last night. Outages are rare around here, so always makes the " talk of the town".

She said that they had a pellet stove, something we did not consider as needed power to run as a heat alternative, and the sudden outage caused her house to fill up with smoke.

Anyone with pellet stove knowledge- how does one cope with sudden loss of power ?

That's one downfall to Pellet stoves. You need electric to run them. So if you don't have backup power, no heat. You can get a battery backup for it but you need to consider the amount of time you need the stove to be on and how much time battery can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine