Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:10 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,539,305 times

Advertisements

How does gas fare in Portland? The Citgo station in the Kensington section of Berlin, CT (near New Britain Stadium) charges $2.599 for regular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 AM

56 posts, read 47,880 times
$2.29 on Rt 3, just off exit 113! It was $2.67 in Brunswick - better than $2.89 in SE CT. The wine wasn’t so cheap, same as a package store in CT - but that’s gas station prices! I imagine a package store is less. disposable income is better, higher in Maine, and I’m only half a night/ bottle in

Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 AM

503 posts, read 1,019,351 times
Must be nice, 2.87 here in the crown. ridiculous.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:54 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,852,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Must be nice, 2.87 here in the crown. ridiculous.
$2.74 in Caribou this morning (at most stations). I agree; it is absolutely ridiculous that we pay so much more.
It is about ten cents higher from Millinocket to Houlton; then about another ten cents from Houlton to Caribou/PI.

They always say "transportation costs", but think about it: if gas prices are dropping, then those transport companies are filling up their tanker trucks in Bangor or Portland at $2.25 a gallon. Your transport costs just dropped dramatically. But does that mean OUR prices here drop a lot? Nope.
There used to be talk of the state investigating why our costs up here are so much higher. That talk, unfortunately, has seeingly faded out. There is no more important issue for many residents up here; you are talking paying thousands of dollars more per year in gas/oil costs than our southern neighbors.

I don't know about an investigation; I just wish a new outfit would open up shop and sell gas/oil in northern Maine at 5 cents less than everybody else. And put them all out of business.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:37 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,191,149 times
$2.43 this morning in Jonesboro. They don't bring it in anywhere near there.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
$2.43 this morning in Jonesboro. They don't bring it in anywhere near there.
I can't imagine it is much harder to get product to Houlton or Caribou than it is to get it to Jonesboro.
Really stinks.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,679 times
Am I the only sucker that has to buy premium? 3.54 today

Old 11-26-2018, 01:00 PM

973 posts, read 2,365,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I can't imagine it is much harder to get product to Houlton or Caribou than it is to get it to Jonesboro.
Really stinks.
Most of the gas consumed in Maine comes from the Irving Refinery in St John, NB. That's actually closer to the County than it is to Bangor. There was speculation that the fire they had at the refinery last month would impact the price of gas. Didn't happen, in fact price has gone down as Crude price has fallen. Below is a quote from a news article printed just after the fire. 70% of the State's gasoline comes from a refinery where they have a major fire and somehow the supply chain finds replacement fuel so that there is no price impact. If you believe that, you believe in the Tooth Fairly. There is something rotten in the woodpile for sure. As long as service stations in the County have Canadians coming over to buy gas, the County will pay a premium. Gas in Canada is $1.27 a liter which figures out to be about $5 Canadian money a gallon.

Irving doesn’t publicly release shipping information, but has in the past estimated that three out of five vehicles in Boston run on Irving gasoline. Five years ago, the New England Petroleum Council said 70 percent of Maine’s gasoline comes from the Saint John refinery, although it also can receive fuel from refineries in New Jersey and Philadelphia.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Most of the gas consumed in Maine comes from the Irving Refinery in St John, NB. That's actually closer to the County than it is to Bangor. There was speculation that the fire they had at the refinery last month would impact the price of gas. Didn't happen, in fact price has gone down as Crude price has fallen. Below is a quote from a news article printed just after the fire. 70% of the State's gasoline comes from a refinery where they have a major fire and somehow the supply chain finds replacement fuel so that there is no price impact. If you believe that, you believe in the Tooth Fairly. There is something rotten in the woodpile for sure. As long as service stations in the County have Canadians coming over to buy gas, the County will pay a premium. Gas in Canada is $1.27 a liter which figures out to be about $5 Canadian money a gallon.

Irving doesn’t publicly release shipping information, but has in the past estimated that three out of five vehicles in Boston run on Irving gasoline. Five years ago, the New England Petroleum Council said 70 percent of Maine’s gasoline comes from the Saint John refinery, although it also can receive fuel from refineries in New Jersey and Philadelphia.
I think you are correct about the Canadians coming over to buy cheap gas. The thing is, our local companies could charge a dime less per gallon and gas would STILL be a good deal for Canadians coming over.
That Saint John petrol gets put on a boat to Portland, then trucked up here. Sure would save a ton of money to fill those tankers up in Saint John then just drive them across the border. It's a shorter distance to drive from Saint John to Houlton than to go from Portland to Houlton.
It really ticks me off. As I said, nothing will be done about it, but in a perfect world, all of the outfits (wholesale and retail) involved in selling fuel products in the County would become bankrupt, and a budget outfit would take their place.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:18 PM

56 posts, read 47,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
How does gas fare in Portland? The Citgo station in the Kensington section of Berlin, CT (near New Britain Stadium) charges $2.599 for regular.
I was in the Hartford area Friday afternoon, and drove through Portland later that night. The prices are about the same, around $2.59 give or take $.10. East Hartford/ S Windsor Area is less expensive, only $2.39! It was $2.89 in Groton Friday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine