Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 PM

27 posts, read 44,695 times

Advertisements

Hi, it's been a long time since I posted in here. A couple of years. I'm settled into my cabin on my land, like it fine here and keep to myself.

The problem is, my new neighbors don't.
In the span of two days, I've had the Forest Service, the state police AND the sheriffs office all out here at the foot of my immense, intentionally unplowed driveway, asking me questions. They all left totally satisfied that I'm happy, healthy, nothing to be concerned over. I just live very privately in winter especially. I may leave my property once a month to shop and twice a month for the mail.

The long driveway means I have to pull my stufffrom the truck to the cabin on a sled, which I'm fine with. Last night I waited at the truck til it was pretty cold so I didn't need to strap on the snowshoes. Well apparently sitting in your truck parked IN your own damn driveway is s problem 🙄 Who knew? I had to yet again explain that there is nothing wrong, I'm just sitting talking to friends on the phone via text. ☺️

The LAST straw came as I finally girded myself for the long slog UP my front field with a heavily loaded snowmobile sled, and no headlamp. I'd forgot to pack it while heading out and it was no big deal to me. Ambient starlight/moonlight were fine.

Along comes a car and swings into the parking for the neighbor's farm stand across the highway, and the car proceeds to high beam me all the way across my own property, blinding me pretty much. I gave the sheriff's office one last call after I got inside. I was mad.

After really taking to heart all the advice about minding my own business and not bothering my neighbors, sure wish they'd do the same! I own 52 acres and most is open field. My house is set way the hell back, up a partially gravel dirt road. I have no clue who these new folks even are, except they said my lack of burning a fire in my stove was worrying them, as was keeping a minimally plowed driveway (ain't paying somebody to plow the whole thing, it's huge!)

I don't feel one bit like going over and introducing myself, I'm way too mad to do that now. The guy works for Border Patrol and and clearly can't put his work away.😑 The family are from TN, or Georgia, some southern state. I hope to Hell the winters here are so awful for them they pack up and leave!

Any advice from old time Mainers? I don't mind knowing most neighbors but they moved here in July or so, never once made an effort to know me, and never once left s note on the truck or came up to say hi, for all that it seems they like spying. Last night the excuse for calling cops was "they thought I had truck trouble."
That's why I have a roadside assistance plan.
Busybody newcomers really rub me the wrong way.

In pic, the colored circles show my truck circled in red. The neighbors farm stand, in blue. And their house, in green. I like being away from people, but they seem to think that means I'm suspicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Nosy neighbor in The County-407dc894-cd34-4e6d-b04a-87b48db14b91.jpeg  

Last edited by Karesuando1988; 12-08-2018 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Adding photo

Old 12-08-2018, 01:04 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
I would definitely go introduce myself and maybe bring them some goodies. You may need their help someday and they may need yours. The first thing you probably noticed moving up here is that people look out for each other...it's the right thing to do.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Hi,

That might have worked back in July, but now, they have just pissed me off. Calling the police? Really? Couldn't they have left a note on the truck or intercepted me when I was walking to the truck, since I clearly take a bit of time to get out there?

I have folks that help me, the neighbor on the other side and a couple old farmers who live in town. I just think having your first contact be calling the cops three times is awful low class.

The folks I have met think I'm a bit odd for sticking to myself so much, but we reached an understanding about my hermit nature and now we get on fine.

I thought I'd be done with having people up in my business. Had enough of that back in western MA living on a farm.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:07 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I'm not in Maine but I agree about introducing yourself, explain your hermit like preference.

As for the cops vs coming over themselves, since they apparently don't know you, they may have thought it more prudent. They may have thought you'd pull a gun on them.

It took time to reach an understanding with the old neighbors (you said). Give the new guys on the block the same.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:09 PM

I don't feel like giving their nosy ways any leverage, is the thing.

The father in that family works for Border Patrol. He has a handgun and ability to use it as part of his employment.

This *ssholes are making me feel like every move I make is watched. I don't want to know them, at all, after their intrusive BS. Headlights on me in the dark?!

The understanding I had with the old neighbors who had that house before were, they could invite me to holiday stuff and picking up hay, but I probably NOT would show for holiday meals, and definitely wouldn't linger for pizza/soda after picking up hay. Social things make me uncomfortable.

Last edited by Karesuando1988; 12-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Missing word

Old 12-08-2018, 04:20 PM

251 posts, read 203,971 times
I am not from Maine either but have spent quite a bit of time there and love that it is usually a place where you can keep to yourself if you so choose but also count on neighbors to look out for one another, help each other out, etc. I am a very private and minimalist person so I can relate. That said, maybe the others have a good point about you going over and introducing yourself and assuring them that all is well and let them know you have all you need, choose to be low maintenance, have a phone and contact with the outside world, etc. Perhaps you can exchange phone numbers and tell them you will let them know if you are ever in need of assistance. I think this could do the trick with keeping them from calling the police, spying, being nosy and such. Hope it all works out.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:24 PM

4,845 posts, read 3,276,133 times
If you were laying on the floor with two broken legs and no heat you might feel different about them calling the sheriff to do a 'wellness' check. If you've never talked to them, they don't know you already have somebody looking out for you. Maybe it was incumbent on them to come around and introduce themselves... but since that didn't happen, you might just need to suck it up and go over there.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM

If I went I would NOT be very friendly. Why the heck can't they just leave me alone!
As for the broken leg scenario, thus far since being up here I have 1) had a chimney fire from crappy wood, which I bought trustingly from my neighbor to the north. Lesson learned, I no longer buy cordwood from that guy.
Dealt with the chimney fire just fine.
2) slipped and hit my head on ice when it was -12 F. I got my ass up and went back to the cabin.
3) had my horses break out at 2AM and run all over creation the morning hunting season started.
Got em back just fine
4) Locked myself out. I crawled back in a window.

There's other stuff but that's the highlights.

I'm dumbfounded people think their behavior is okay. I thought Northern Maine was about minding your own dang business?

Old 12-08-2018, 04:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karesuando1988 View Post
I'm dumbfounded people think their behavior is okay. I thought Northern Maine was about minding your own dang business?
It is, and it's about watching out for each other. You're spreading your business here instead of keeping it to yourself. Perhaps you could do something productive with it by taking the advice to speak with the neighbors.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:11 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karesuando1988 View Post
If I went I would NOT be very friendly. Why the heck can't they just leave me alone!
As for the broken leg scenario, thus far since being up here I have 1) had a chimney fire from crappy wood, which I bought trustingly from my neighbor to the north. Lesson learned, I no longer buy cordwood from that guy.
Dealt with the chimney fire just fine.
2) slipped and hit my head on ice when it was -12 F. I got my ass up and went back to the cabin.
3) had my horses break out at 2AM and run all over creation the morning hunting season started.
Got em back just fine
4) Locked myself out. I crawled back in a window.

There's other stuff but that's the highlights.

The new neighbors don't know that. Southerners are pretty helpless when it comes to northern winters. They probably can't imagine how you are ok by yourself in such an extreme environment. Try telling them some of those stories and maybe they'll back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine