Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Maine View Post
Well, I am new to Maine. We arrived here the 11th of March ('08). We moved here from Michigan cuz my husband got a job here. We'd never been here before, so to say the least, I was very excited to get here. Maine's been a place I've always wanted to visit. I've seen many shows about Maine, from the lobster feasts to the various "haunted" places and the gorgeous scenery! I envisioned and was expecting Maine to be this very exciting, very interesting and mysterious place be! It's been pretty cold since we've been here so I haven't had a chance to get out and explore much, but I do have to say that the scenery here is absolutely breathtaking! We moved to the Harrington area and have only been as far as Machais and Ellsworth. They are such beautiful rides that I don't mind so much the drive to a grocery store or to the rite aid! I must confess though, I was not ready for that. I didn't do my homework before moving here so I was not prepared for how rural it is here. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it! Life here definitely moves at a much slower place than where we came from and I do like that. What I'm not sure I like, as far as with this particular area goes, is how far away we are from everything! Especially with the price of gas being what it is, it can get very expensive to go anywhere. My husband works in Trenton, so it's already costing us a few hundred dollars a month in gas! Another thing I was not prepared for was the oil heating. All I've ever known was "forced air" heat which uses natural gas. It was expensive and I'd like to have fainted a few times in the winter when our bill would come and was over $400.00!! (That was for heat and electric). Imagine my shock when I discoverd what we'd be paying here for heat alone!!! We have been here just shy of a month now and have already paid almost $600.00 for oil to heat this place!!! Ugh! Winter is at it's end so I cannot even imagine what it will cost in the heart of winter! Another thing that came as shock to me is the price of some of the food out here. I know alot of products recently went up in price due to the cost of wheat going up the way it did, but prior to my moving out here, (my husbands been here since the end of November so he was filling me in on some of the costs) I couldn't believe the difference in the prices of some things. Even with the cost of wheat going up the way it did, some things here are still more expensive than back in Michigan. For example, the cheapest I've seen bread here is $1.79, compared to paying .99 cents in MI. Milk was another shocker!! It's almost $5 here compared to $3.25 there! Please forgive me if I seem to be "whining" because I certainly am not, I was just wanting to show some examples of the differences I'm having to adjust to since moving here. Maine is a very beautiful state and I can't wait to get out and see what else it has to offer as far as family activities. I have 4 children, 18, 9, 4 & 2 and we love to get outdoors and do things together. From what I understand, there's a lot to do and we are looking forward to discovering this beautiful state!! There's alot of history here am excited to learn more. I almost forgot to mention that I haven't had the opportunity to meet many people here, but the few that I have had the pleasure of speaking to, were so very nice!! I really am looking forward to meeting more people here!
We have paid just over $3000 this winter for fuel oil. I wish we could have paid just $600.00. Get yourself on a buget plan with an oil company. You start paying in August and they lock you in at a set price for the winter. It really helps a lot! Wood heat helps too, if you can install a stove I highly recommend it. See if there is a bakery outlet in your area. There are several around the state. You can buy bread there for very little money. Usually 50 cents a loaf or so. When our kids were small we went there about once every month or two and could fill the freezer with bread for $20.00 or less! We also made bread quite often withan electric bread machine.
As far as milk goes there is a State minimum set price that keeps farmers from going broke. Milk would be really inexpensive around here if it wasn't for this artificially set subsidy. Though it would put many small producers out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 36,303 times
We also have paid over $3000 for fuel oil. We do the budget plan, it's the ONLY way to go unless you want to spend a LOT of time constantly comparing prices and then making sure you can get a delivery before you run out. I also recommend a wood stove, we are going to put one in our house this summer.
Moving here from California 8 years ago I had done a ton of research for several years prior. You can't be prepared for everything though, plus like everywhere, things change. I was surprised by the cost of produce and the short supply (but when I thought about it it made sense, all that produce comes all the way from California mostly!)
We had visited Maine and we were prepared for the "Yankee Reserve" and we are respectful of that. What DID surprise me is the amount of nepotism that goes on in workplaces. In California there is nothing that compares. And by nepotism I don't just mean people who are actually related, if you have an unfamiliar last name, (not a Pelletier or a Harriman :-)!) and/or a social security that starts with something other than zero (God forbid a 5!!!!), or a resume showing all the non-Maine places you've worked, well, you could run into some resistance to getting hired. I did. But eventually I did get hired, and I have a great job with great people (mostly Mainer's!)

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIMAINER View Post
What DID surprise me is the amount of nepotism that goes on in workplaces. In California there is nothing that compares. And by nepotism I don't just mean people who are actually related, if you have an unfamiliar last name, (not a Pelletier or a Harriman :-)!) and/or a social security that starts with something other than zero (God forbid a 5!!!!), or a resume showing all the non-Maine places you've worked, )
That kind of surprises me. I did not know that was a problem. I do know the opposite is true...if you're FROM Maine you will have little trouble getting hired elsewhere. Mainers have a good reputation for working hard and actually showing up for work most of the time.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Newbie, you are in a tough spot where you live. It is an absolutely beautiful area, but it really is the middle of nowhere. It's at least 1/2 an hour to get to a 'metropolis'.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
How many others out there had to, out of curiosity, look up the word "flummoxed"? I did
So are you articulating that I have a comprehensive phraseology?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Forest had a pretty extensive vocabulary...I keep the thesaurus handy when reading his posts!
I 'had' an extensive vocabulary?

Did I lose it?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
Newbie, welcome to the forum!!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,015,328 times
Ok, I'll give it a shot..

Been here for 3 years now, so not a "newbie", but definitely "from away". It's been a mixed bag. Some expectations met, some not.

Expected cold, long winters, and got it. Didn't expect cold, gray "spring" (today being a nice exception!).

Coming from Jersey, I expected a slightly lower cost of living. Wrong, wrong, wrong! This has been the biggest surprise. I thought I did my homework, but clearly not enough.

As far as the people? I have the opportunity to meet new people each day, and I absolutely LOVE the true "old time" Mainers (or is it Maineah??). Salt of the earth, reserved with a quiet strength...the most enjoyable part of my job is the chance to talk with them. I'm consistently impressed and awed by their fortitude.

Disappointed with the politics, which drive the economic picture.. which I don't see improving any time soon.

Missing the conveniences..pizza delivered...24hr supermarkets (I work long hours so it came in handy)..WaWa.

All in all...jury's still out. I think ultimately the cost and weather will send me packing.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,710,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So are you articulating that I have a comprehensive phraseology?

For crying out Pete, Forest, no need to get nasty with the man.........he was admirin yer likin fer big words.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,069 times
Dare I say that Forest has an online lexicon? My, my and I thought those sailors didn't use words with more than 4 letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: