Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

This evening an adventure in our life has come to a close. I write this with an odd mood, I am angry, I am confused, I am disappointed.

Months ago a fellow vendor at the Farmer’s Market, had spoke of her goats being bred and needing a market for the kids. I inquired further and we ended up with a deal.

All 34 of her milkers [purebred Alpines] are expecting in April. Last year they mostly dropped triplets. She offered them to me, for $10 each, if I took all of them, and did not become picky about male or female, just took them all from her. She makes a living from making cheese, and she does not want to keep any of these kids on milk from their mothers longer than necessary.

I urged her to keep a few for replacements for her milkers, but she insisted that this year she did not need to do that. Her milkers are at their peak production, and any kid getting milk will cut her profits. So okay fine, I agreed to take all of her kids.

We have been planning, and preparing. We have built pens for them [enough pens to hold 60 kids, and a neighbor wants in on this deal and wants any and all kids beyond our 60]. We bought a trailer for hauling them. We got bottles for feeding 30 kids at a time. We got nipples. We got powdered milk [125 pounds of it]. We stocked up on meds. We stocked up on vaccines.

We are psyched up for it, knowing that they will need four feedings each day for a week, then three feedings each day for three weeks, etc.

<Time delay>

Two weeks ago [one week before April when the milkers were timed to begin having their kids], I contacted this vendor once again. I reminded her of our agreement. And I assured her that we are prepared and waiting. She reminded me that she wants to get rid of them each as young as possible, and I told her that so long as they each had their colostrums, I am willing to take them each at 12 hours old.

<Time delay>

Tonight I sent her an email asking what is happening, she responded to me:

Sorry to be out of touch! I've been out straight in kidding land for the last week.

We didn't have as many triplets this year as last,
… I need to keep extra replacement kids for myself.
… I'm trying to do an inventory for everyone who has asked for kids this year.
… At this point it looks like I can let you have 6 buck kids. If you can pick them up either Friday or Monday (the two days I will be at home this week), the price will be $25 each. Every week I have to hold them after that, the price will increase $20 to reflect the cost of the milk I have to feed them.”

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
I don't blame you for being ticked off. It sure sounds like she over committed to others as well as you. I'd be interested in knowing how many she promised to others and at what price. From 60 to six is quite a drop. You should see if someone else picked up 40 or so at $15 dollars or more!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Gee whiz, Forest, no wonder you've been so contrary lately...you were about to become a mother and didn't let any of us know it! Milk, nipples, bottles, kids, playpens - quite a family you were expecting there!

You er, didn't get a contract in writing by any chance, eh?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
I suspect the price was upped and the kids went to a higher bidder. Perhaps she could sell smaller groups for more money. I cannot blame you for being upset. A person's word is their bond. If you can't depend on their word, you cannot depend on the person.
I am sorry you made all those preparations for nothing. She didn't even give you any females either.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Thats too bad Forest. Sound's like she wanted keep all HER options open while at the same time keeping you on a leash making what you beleived was a commitment.

Sefish people Some times they do not even realize it....other times they do it intentionaly.

Where do you go from here?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
forest, maybe this loss can open the door for more opportunities, could you place an ad in the bangor daily, that you are looking for kids.....you may be surprised what you get from a response, the bangor daily reaches more area in maine than any other newspaper, and perhaps it will open more doors to fellow farmers in maine.
ive got to believe thier are farmers out there that have too many kids and want to sell them..

Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Cool bum rap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
forest, maybe this loss can open the door for more opportunities, could you place an ad in the bangor daily, that you are looking for kids.....you may be surprised what you get from a response, the bangor daily reaches more area in maine than any other newspaper, and perhaps it will open more doors to fellow farmers in maine.
ive got to believe thier are farmers out there that have too many kids and want to sell them..
I agree with MBM.

Hey Forrest, it could be worse!

You could have paid up front and ended up with a bunch of bucks, at a higher cost, or worse, and no chance of getting your money back from these people.

You seem to have had a good run with the folks up here, but not everyone can be taken at their word. Not everyone is as honest as they seem to be.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

All 34 of her milkers [purebred Alpines] are expecting in April. Last year they mostly dropped triplets. She offered them to me, for $10 each, if I took all of them, and did not become picky about male or female, just took them all from her.

If you can pick them up either Friday or Monday (the two days I will be at home this week), the price will be $25 each. Every week I have to hold them after that, the price will increase $20 to reflect the cost of the milk I have to feed them.”

???
Ohhh I would be so0ooooo angry.

Can you write something like, you can keep them, since I have to cover cost for what you promised me with pens and a trailor to haul them in. Have any additional questions on this end, I can have this put in a formal letter from my attorney.

That is just really wrong.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
That's probably the right way of looking at it.
My other response was evil and sitting on my right shoulder holding a pitch fork.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
What came out of both our mouths here as I read your post aloud cannot be printed in a family forum.

You have every right to be angry and, feeling your anger, we very much are wanting to throw negative energy toward that cheesemaker and her products. That is NOT honorable behavior and is totally inexcusable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine