Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM

443 posts, read 2,127,741 times

Advertisements

We live in the Brunswick area and I think for this area it's a great idea. A few of the schools here are so old and really need a whole new school or major renovations. For example, Longfellow doesn't have a GYM so the children are bussed to another school. And Coffin school, the kindergarten classes are held in trailors by the school because they have no room for the students. It's things like this that I think it's a good idea, but I only know about this area. They also took in account that all the military are leaving which is a huge population of the schools here so it seems like a good idea for Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 PM

78 posts, read 160,520 times
Well now that towns across the state have cast their votes for the proposed RSU's they will be with all we can hope is that come January this entire idea gets tossed in the trash where it belongs and everything goes back the way it was giving towns choice and leaving rural Maine schools alone. Our Governor wants to save money then maybe he should look at all the dead wood working for the state and start cutting there first maybe even start with his office and work his way through the capitol building then into other departments that are grossly over staffed he might just find out how much is wasted this way.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,064 times
amacop I AGREE!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
Great post amacop. No all towns have voted. Our district will vote on January 29. I hope the weather is decent and we get a good voter turnout. This attack on rural Maine schools should be defeated.

- - -

As to the Brunswick area, I have news for you. The base is closing. There is going to be a huge decrease in the number of students. There is also going to be a large increase in the number of vacant buildings. Kids don't need Taj Mahals to learn. Brunswick doesn't need more vacant buildings. We have somewhat of an economic disturbance coming in Maine. I don't think there will be extra money in the budget for new schools for the next decade or so.

Kids learn best in warm well lighted places that are safe. Often times that is at home.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,840 times
I agree with the majority on here: this is a policy that is being forced on us. A 'one-size-fits-all" policy won't work. As for the savings, I went to a consolodation meeting a few weeks ago. The slide show looks good but it doesn't pan out at the bottom line. They show you peice meal all the proposed savings but if they slip and show you the bottom line too long you can see the savings disappear in admin costs. Just like everywhere else. Too much regulation means more paperwork which means more people to shuffle it.

If you opt out then you pay penalties to the state. It would be nice to see this and the NCLB law go down the porceline fixture. You save costs by removing wastefull regulations and stop doling out work that one person can do. City hall in town here has 5 people. Each person does about 5-6 jobs. Would it be easier to hire more people to take care of all the state mandates we have to deal with? Heck yeah. But (Governor, are you listening?) WE CAN'T AFFORD TO!!

This bill will wreck education as we know it IMHO. Now I'll shut up a bit.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 12-20-2008 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: you'd think I'd spell better at 53

Old 12-20-2008, 09:07 AM

Y'know, retiredtinbender, we need to have a coffee some time. I was in charge of the airframe shop and the tin benders at Quonset Point Naval Air Station in a prior life. We think a lot alike. Maine is going to need some clear thinkers in local government in the next decade. For far too long we have spent like drunken sailors and I have seen sailors drink and spend. We don't need new schools as an alternative to a fresh coat of paint.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 AM

701 posts, read 1,077,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Great post amacop. No all towns have voted. Our district will vote on January 29. I hope the weather is decent and we get a good voter turnout. This attack on rural Maine schools should be defeated.

- - -

As to the Brunswick area, I have news for you. The base is closing. There is going to be a huge decrease in the number of students. There is also going to be a large increase in the number of vacant buildings. Kids don't need Taj Mahals to learn. Brunswick doesn't need more vacant buildings. We have somewhat of an economic disturbance coming in Maine. I don't think there will be extra money in the budget for new schools for the next decade or so.

Kids learn best in warm well lighted places that are safe. Often times that is at home.

I have heard than the schools in Maine are fantastic, and I hope nothing happens to change that..........believe me, you don't want anything that resembles what we have to deal with in our area of NC. Which is one of the reasons I homeschool, kids here are struggling with what should be basic education (they don't teach science of any measurable amount until high school, no mandated tests for it until then) It is a huge school system, 130,000+ kids last I heard, and poorly managed. Someone mentioned longer bus times....... kids here do spend hours on the bus daily, some wait at bustops before 6:00am Bigger really isn't better..............so good luck guys, I hope to have more of a choice when I get to Maine

Old 12-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Maine has an excellent home schooling support network. Home schooled kids can take a few courses in school, play sports and play in the band if they want. Maine does rank well nationally in the basics. Our local high school wins the state mathematics championship on a regular basis. Yes, we have math teams. Our education problems come from the state level. Most local boards and systems are good.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,840 times
Quote:
Y'know, retiredtinbender, we need to have a coffee some time. I was in charge of the airframe shop and the tin benders at Quonset Point Naval Air Station in a prior life. We think a lot alike. Maine is going to need some clear thinkers in local government in the next decade. For far too long we have spent like drunken sailors and I have seen sailors drink and spend. We don't need new schools as an alternative to a fresh coat of paint.
Well thank you. Yeah, coffee sounds pretty good to me escpecially just getting back in the house. Thank Heavens DW has warm homemade chicken soup and fresh bread. It would be interesting swapping war stories with ya. I ran a few shops myself. Not sure how the clearthinker quote applies to me. There are some who wouold argue I'm anything but. But I believe schools have gotten too "PC" and very liberal in applying section 504. Just my nearsighted opinion though.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM

78 posts, read 160,520 times
Quote:
Drunken Sailors...............NMLM I resemble that (ex Navy Brown Water) I do have to agree with you on it though this state is already in a financial mess and it keeps getting worse each day with Lobster prices not even paying for the fuel and bait it takes to catch them not to mention small towns like our town that thinks money grows on trees in every backyard here and we can just jack up taxes to pay for town clerks raises on a yearly basis as well as more payed time off and better benefits not to mention a new school board that all of a sudden thinks they need lap tops paid for by tax payer money so they can do their job more efficently when the previous boards never had a need for computers and a town library that is open only part time and feels the taxpayers should foot the bill for heating and other issues just so a small group can use it for their personal meeting place on the days the library is not open. One can only see the handwriting on the wall when it comes to taxes and how it is going to affect every resident and the state with all their waste and their wonderful tax evaluation for all of the coast of Maine making just about every coastal town a property rich community in a market that has no buyers for the land. Before you know it you will see more and more vacant homes all around this state as residents can no longer afford to live here and will be forced out due to high property taxes and electricity and heating oil not to mention other bills that each of us face daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine