Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 11,109,236 times

Advertisements

Hello:

A friend and I are considering a move to Lincoln. I have a few questions that need answering and I am hoping that anyone with some experience with the Town of Lincoln will be able to respond.

1) The high price of diesel seems to be taking its toll on the trucking industry especially the smaller companies. Lincoln has a successful paper mill right now but could it be negatively impacted by the rising fuel prices?

And how will this affect the local economy?

2) If we move to Lincoln we plan to start up a small business but we'll likely need employment to tide us over while we grow the business. In the event we cannot find something suitable in or near Lincoln will we be able to have a reasonable commute to the Bangor area during the winter?

3) My friend's wife is a nurse and we'll need to find employment for her. Aside from the hospital she could work at a nursing home. Are there any nursing homes in the Lincoln area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

444 posts, read 929,788 times
Don't know about nursing homes, but I have heard that Penobscot Valley Hospital in Lincoln is a great, friendly place to work.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,708,035 times
There are several nursing homes and they are always looking for people. There are also several home health care services in the Lincoln area.

People commute to Bangor every day. In the 25 years I have been here the interstate has been closed once that I know of. There is no public transportation from Lincoln to Bangor.

The mill is doing well and makes excellent products. The Diesel question is something nobody has the answer to. In Massachusetts this past weekend I bought gasoline for $3.09 a gallon. It costs more to make gasoline than it does Diesel. The price of oil today on the spot market is about $112 per barrel. Divided by 42 gallons that's $2.67 a gallon for crude before it is carried across the ocean, refined, taxed by the feds, hauled to a gas station and taxed again by the state. The wholesaler and local dealers make very little on the sale of gasoline.

Here's the gorilla in the corner that nobody talks about. The spot market is the price a refiner pays for a little extra crude they need on a given day. All the big oil companies have long term contracts for delivery of crude for $30 or $40 a barrel. These contracts run for many years into the future. Never make the mistake that the big oil companies are paying $112 a barrel for all their oil. Only a tiny amount is bought at that price from speculators who never owned or took delivery on any crude at all.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 11,109,236 times
Thank you both for the information. More than likely I'll come up with another question or two before too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine