Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM

52 posts, read 164,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Like "Gulf-war" syndrome then.

If it really did afflict anyone then the MSM would jump on it. Those who 'suffer' and die from it's symptoms must all be making it up.

There is a difference between "making something up" and having the root of the problem be psychiatric. Psychiatric illnesses are unfairly stigmatized and not well understood by the public (and by physicians). Just because stress, neurotransmitter imbalances etc are the cause of one's suffering doesn't make their suffering any less real.

I have yet to see a coroner's report cite "morgellon's" or "delusional parasitosis" as a cause of death.

Gulf war syndrome, which consists of a set of subjective symptoms (i.e. what the person feels) is very different from someone saying they have fibers coming out of their body and no fibers being found. Again, the suffering for morgellon's patients can be very real, but that does not mean that there is an organic cause; thus far none has been shown . . . this leaves me personally sceptical that an organic cause will be found. A great place to start one's search through (usually) reputable literature is pubmed.

As far as Gulf War syndrome, I'm not aware of large numbers of physicians and scientists saying these veterans are lying. What I recall is arguments over and research into whether the root cause was neurological (damage to known pathways within the brain or peripheral nerves) or the root was psychological (trauma and stresses of battle causing patients to feel the symptoms they report). Just because something is psychiatric doesn't mean that it isn't "real."

And Forest, thought you'd appreciate today's CNN headline. Hopefully this can get more research funding into this area, and these patients can get relief from their symptoms.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobars View Post
There is a difference between "making something up" and having the root of the problem be psychiatric. Psychiatric illnesses are unfairly stigmatized and not well understood by the public (and by physicians). Just because stress, neurotransmitter imbalances etc are the cause of one's suffering doesn't make their suffering any less real.

I have yet to see a coroner's report cite "morgellon's" or "delusional parasitosis" as a cause of death.

Gulf war syndrome, which consists of a set of subjective symptoms (i.e. what the person feels) is very different from someone saying they have fibers coming out of their body and no fibers being found. Again, the suffering for morgellon's patients can be very real, but that does not mean that there is an organic cause; thus far none has been shown . . . this leaves me personally sceptical that an organic cause will be found. A great place to start one's search through (usually) reputable literature is pubmed.

As far as Gulf War syndrome, I'm not aware of large numbers of physicians and scientists saying these veterans are lying. What I recall is arguments over and research into whether the root cause was neurological (damage to known pathways within the brain or peripheral nerves) or the root was psychological (trauma and stresses of battle causing patients to feel the symptoms they report). Just because something is psychiatric doesn't mean that it isn't "real."

And Forest, thought you'd appreciate today's CNN headline. Hopefully this can get more research funding into this area, and these patients can get relief from their symptoms.
It is my understanding that the fibers are real and are under the process of being studied.

It is also my understanding that as of today, our doctors are not allowed to diagnose any vet with 'Gulf War' syndrome, the AMA does not recognize it, and the VA will not treat it.

This new CNN report sounds great, I am certain that if it becomes a recognized health problem within the next decade many vets will be thankful. At least the surviving vets, that is. Assuming that they can get some form of treatment before they die. Posthumous recognition that they were ill, seems untimely.

In the mean time many vets that I see at the VFW are assumed to have psychiatric issues if they bring up 'Gulf War' like symptoms.

The VFW spends a lot of time trying to advocate for these vets.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,369 times
forest beekeeper:

I have this 'disease' whatever it is! It is not in my head. It is real. Doctors don't like to talk about it. They say it's anything but...
I found the fine,translucent fibers (that come out from my skin)in some daylilly bulbs I was transplanting. I wrote the CDC,no reply. Imagine that!
Thank you for addressing this issue!
Perhaps in time the truth will come out?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Way weird.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Way weird.
yeah

Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen54 View Post
forest beekeeper:

I have this 'disease' whatever it is! It is not in my head. It is real. Doctors don't like to talk about it. They say it's anything but...
I found the fine,translucent fibers (that come out from my skin)in some daylilly bulbs I was transplanting. I wrote the CDC,no reply. Imagine that!
Thank you for addressing this issue!
Perhaps in time the truth will come out?

There are support groups forming, it is my understanding that some doctors have been trying to research it.

But within our system of health care, any doctor trying to research non-approved illnesses will meet roadblocks to their careers.

I hope that you find a support group.

I am rather surprised that 'gulf-war' syndrome has taken such a short period of time for the medical system to begin to recognize it. At this rate, given another short decade, actual diagnosis will be allowed.

Hopefully by 2030 we will have a treatment to offer our vets of 1990.

condemnant quod non intellegunt

Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There are support groups forming, it is my understanding that some doctors have been trying to research it.

But within our system of health care, any doctor trying to research non-approved illnesses will meet roadblocks to their careers.

I hope that you find a support group.

I am rather surprised that 'gulf-war' syndrome has taken such a short period of time for the medical system to begin to recognize it. At this rate, given another short decade, actual diagnosis will be allowed.

Hopefully by 2030 we will have a treatment to offer our vets of 1990.

condemnant quod non intellegunt

We've come so far, but we're so far behind

Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
[quote]

Hopefully by 2030 we will have a treatment to offer our vets of 1990. [quote]

I have a friend who served in the Gulf War who has received ongoing testing and treatment for the syndrome. I think part of the initially quick response time to it was the shame over the mishandling of all the Nam vets. Not honoring them or their service when they returned and also making a joke out of the Agent Orange issue for so long.

With the two wars now, the troops losing limbs seem to be receiving pretty dedicated and deliberate care as well as the finest prothesis available today. God I hope so. They certainly deserve the best we can create.

The one that really concerns me for todays wars is the brain injuries and keeping on top of the best medical and psychological care for those who are suffering in this capacity.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM

143 posts, read 252,790 times
...surely does get you wondering, doesn't it? I wouldn't doubt any wierd occurrence resulting from GMO foods though.....be safe and stay away from 'em....check out www.thefutureoffood.com
and the film The Future of Food by Deborath Koons Garcia. It'll make you really want to watch what you consume....we all have to be so much more in tune with that these days when many of our soils are depleted and the quality of air and water are so threatened...hoe, hoe, hoe yer own.....

Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM

143 posts, read 252,790 times
Amen, sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine